Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 13 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 01:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PASSING PERIOD (SCHOOL)

RyanCEss
71 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 13, 2010 01:04 |  #1

WHAT DO YOU THINK??

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i345.photobucke​t.com …386/colajj/IMG_​2533-1.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
bigburpsx3
31 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 13, 2010 01:17 |  #2

Personally, looks too much like a snapshot. There's just way too much going on in the photo.

RyanCEss
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 13, 2010 01:31 |  #3

im sorry to ask such a noob question but whats a snapshot

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 13, 2010 02:03 |  #4

RyanCEss wrote in post #9383408 (external link)
im sorry to ask such a noob question but whats a snapshot

Some snapshots are good, but I would interpret that as your pic wwas taken with a point & shoot camera without much thought. Meaning, pics are usually out of focus and technically poor with no rhyme or reason.

thebeatnut
196 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 13, 2010 06:51 |  #5

This looks like it would work as part of a documentary set, but on its own it's rather uninteresting. Also the treetops in the upper right corner are all blown out and over exposed. So either you've edited this badly or I'm missing why the sky looks so odd.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 13, 2010 08:41 |  #6

Ryan, when you put your camera up to your face how did you evaluate the light? By that I mean did you understand that you won't be able to get a nice/consistent exposure across the frame and either the left side would be in very deep shadows with the right side properly exposed or the left side would be good with the right side blown out. It looks to me like the camera tried to make the best of a bad situation that ended up giving a bit of both.

I agree with thebeatnut that this type of image might work as part of a documentary set. You could also convert what you have to B&W which will hide a few of the exposure sins (funny color in the blown out sky for example). Add some film type grain in post processing and it will have an edgier feel and most won't notice that nothing in the image is sharp (there's lots of motion blur). All in all you chose a difficult situation and it would be pretty hard to save this one.

Example: As a set you could have an early morning shot, a mid-day time exposure shot (would need a neutral density filter and small aperture) showing the blur left from the people walking and an end of day shot after everyone went home, maybe with just a few people hanging out. Tell a story with your images :)

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Green ­ Man
682 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 13, 2010 13:17 |  #7

Uninteresting. what is the subject? What am I supposed to be drawn to?

Find an interesting person and make him/her the focus, like maybe the lanky red haired guy mid-left. Find someone that expresses what school means to you (boredom, excitement, malaise) and try to capture it.
Standing at the top of the stairs and taking a snapshot just doesn't tell us anything.

-Chris

Killeramit
74 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 13, 2010 14:27 |  #8

yup it does looks like a snapshot. try adding more creativity or some interesting subject or may be a hot classmate to model for you.

Canon 6D, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 85 mm 1.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 L, Canon 40 mm 2.8, Canon Speedlite 430EX II

corkneyfonz
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 13, 2010 19:19 |  #9

This would work much better with camera on a tripod and a long exposure of between .5 and 2seconds.

My Flickr (external link)

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 13, 2010 20:24 |  #10

For some ideas in what to look for when doing this kind of shot, look up a guy named "Henri Cartier-Bresson" in Google and check out some of his "decisive moment" shots.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

shooterjoe
95 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 13, 2010 23:54 |  #11

When I read the thread title, I imagined a long exposure shot with all the kids motion blurred running to their next class.

Canon 5Dii | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | ef 24-70mm f/2.8L | ef 70-200 f/2.8L II | 50mm f/1.8 | 580ex

sponsored links

1,847 views & 0 likes for this thread
PASSING PERIOD (SCHOOL)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.