Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 12 Jan 2010 (Tuesday) 15:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Website to Critique

Ahtz
292 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 12, 2010 15:37 |  #1

Not sure if these get old to everyone or not but i'm gonna jump on the train. Here is my website. I'd love to hear any feedback. I'm using iweb right now because it is so easy to get the professional, simple look that i'm going for. However, iweb has been causing me some grief lately. I think I have most the kinks worked out though.

http://www.jasonalleni​mages.com/ (external link)

Comment away. Feel free to comment on the website layout, content, photographs, prices... etc.. no worries about offending me, I can take it! :cool: One thing i'm still trying to figure out is how to do my proofing. I'm using instaproofs right now and have it embedded as an iframe but I think there are some issues with that.

Anyway, Thanks!

Website (external link)
2x Canon 50d, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, 580 EX II, 430 EX II, PW Flex's

sponsored links
jjaenagle
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 12, 2010 15:41 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

love the quote from isaiah!

I dont think you need to add the little bit of info on your portfolio page..

some pages load a little slow... are you using wordpress? Its a very good site if it is a blogging platform.
i liked the technique you used on the portfolio page with the hovering over images... it kind of confused me for a little bit.
the client proofing page would not load for me.

I dont get why people put the "made on a mac" buttons...

i like the website overall.

Instagram (external link)Website (external link)
GEAR & FEEDBACK

sf1
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 12, 2010 16:27 |  #3

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the forum. Let me start by saying that I am no expert, I just view loads of sites and point out things that I like or dislike.

First off, this looks like and iWeb design - correct?

Not sure what your resolution is set to, but mine is 1440 x 900, which makes your site load with tuns of dead space on the sides - your layout takes about half my screen. Looking at my visitors to my site, you may want to optimize for 1024x768 - about half of my visits are set to that resolution.

Here are a few more comments:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i168.photobucke​t.com …s/u198/shanef1/​Dock-1.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Canon 5DII, Canon 1D Mark II N
Canon 24-70 mm f/2.8 L, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, Canon 70 -200 mm f/2.8 IS L, Canon 400 mm f/5.6 L, Canon 50 mm f/1.4, Manfrotto 055XPROB & 488 RC2
Canon Speedlites 580 EX, 430 EX II & 3 PW II, iMac I7, MacBook Pro, Aperture 3, CS5

jjaenagle
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 12, 2010 16:32 as a reply to  @ sf1's post |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

i agree with the dead space... my work computer is not wide, but i still see a lot of unused space.

Instagram (external link)Website (external link)
GEAR & FEEDBACK

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,354 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 12, 2010 16:41 |  #5

Just to add....you should pick a better <title> tag than 'Jason Allen Images'. You have some great content on your home page, which is good for SEO, but adding your location and a few of your specialties on your title tag will improve your searchablity (if thats a word!). Something like 'Sherwood Oregon Portrait & Family Photographer - Jason Allen Images'.

Images in the Backcountry (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,989 posts
Gallery: 285 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 12, 2010 17:08 |  #6

I like to over all look and feel of the site - although it is not really "eye catching".

It loads a tad slow. That is also because it is all graphic based. The whole text and lay out is graphics. Text based sites load a lot faster - especially when you use "repeat" backgrounds in css context.

There is no meta tag with keywords on the the pages! Not that these are doing much these days but all little bits help the search engines. Especially when you are using graphic based content!!!!!
Also use a meta "description" tag in this situation. The search bots cannot read graphics.

I do not agree with the other posters about the "dead space". That is not only a matter of taste but also about guessing what kind of visitors you will get. If it is the average "mom and dad" with the home computer it is likely that they are still not using that high a screen resolution as some more advanced surfers. 800 px or 920 px wide main window for a first impression is better than that that people have to scroll horizontally to get a whole view of your home page. Vertical scrolling is not a problem most of the time (with the mouse wheel on almost any mouse) but horizontal scroll is a lot harder for some people.

Try out how many "fake" contacts you get when omitting the image proof for sending a message. I am using the same system on some sites and not on others. It seems that the attacks on" send messages" pages are slowing down.

On the client proofing page I was told I did not have cookies enabled. I definitely have! So there is something wrong there.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

Ahtz
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 12, 2010 17:43 as a reply to  @ vk2gwk's post |  #7

Wow, this feedback is excellent! I really appreciate the time put into reviewing my site!

some pages load a little slow... are you using wordpress? Its a very good site if it is a blogging platform.
i liked the technique you used on the portfolio page with the hovering over images... it kind of confused me for a little bit.
the client proofing page would not load for me.

I dont get why people put the "made on a mac" buttons...

Yes this is an iweb site. I wish I could figure out how to make something this simple on wordpress but I have a hard time with that. The hovering images thing is also a mac thing. Not sure why the client proofing doesn't work. I think i'll just direct people straight to that website.

Not sure what your resolution is set to, but mine is 1440 x 900, which makes your site load with tuns of dead space on the sides - your layout takes about half my screen. Looking at my visitors to my site, you may want to optimize for 1024x768 - about half of my visits are set to that resolution.

I can look into widening it. I have a 24" widescreen at work but at home where I designed it I have a 13" macbook so it doesn't look too skinny. I really like not having to scroll down but it's tough to get the content in the amount of space I have. Maybe by widening it, it will help.

Just to add....you should pick a better <title> tag than 'Jason Allen Images'. You have some great content on your home page, which is good for SEO, but adding your location and a few of your specialties on your title tag will improve your searchablity (if thats a word!). Something like 'Sherwood Oregon Portrait & Family Photographer - Jason Allen Images'.

Great comments. I'll have to look into how I do that.

I like to over all look and feel of the site - although it is not really "eye catching".

It loads a tad slow. That is also because it is all graphic based. The whole text and lay out is graphics. Text based sites load a lot faster - especially when you use "repeat" backgrounds in css context.

I'd like to make it more eye catching but not quite sure how. I don't want to do flash. I agree that it loads slow. Probably one of the many downsides of using iweb.

There is no meta tag with keywords on the the pages! Not that these are doing much these days but all little bits help the search engines. Especially when you are using graphic based content!!!!!
Also use a meta "description" tag in this situation. The search bots cannot read graphics.

Another downside of iweb. I think I found a workaround for this that i'll have to play around with.

Try out how many "fake" contacts you get when omitting the image proof for sending a message. I am using the same system on some sites and not on others. It seems that the attacks on" send messages" pages are slowing down.

Not sure what you're saying here... The image verification for my contact form?

Website (external link)
2x Canon 50d, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, 580 EX II, 430 EX II, PW Flex's

Lelin
40 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 13, 2010 23:43 |  #8

The client proofing page looks totally different from the rest of the website.
The big picture doesnt have a frame. The small icon Jason-Wuertz-Photography "Visit Photographer's Website" brings us to a non working Facebook page.

If you want to keep the Image Verification box in Contact I think you should try to merge it better.
Clicking Google Call me created a chaotic flashing screen in the page, not sure if its just for me.
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS , not 18-55mm f/3.5-5.0 IS

Portfolio Subscribe: HTTP 404 - File not found

In recent images, at the right bottom of the flickr box, a small part of the background is over the corner.

In Prices, this text isn't aligned properly:
Group Senior Session - $100 / additional senior

Includes standard package prints for each senior

A La Cart Prints = À La Carte Prints (french speaker :P)

Overall I like the design, looks neat. I agree that the borders on each side of the content are a bit too large, maybe remove 1/3. Also agree with sf1 about the Camera Gear.
Keep it up!

Hi, I'm Joc
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

MLphoto
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 13, 2010 23:57 |  #9

I just clicked on the link posted in your original post. It's easy and pro which is what matters.

http://flickr.com/marc​el-lech-photography (external link)

cdwise
90 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 14, 2010 10:53 |  #10

You have a problem with http://jasonallenimage​s.com/Client_Proofing.​html (external link), despite what it says cookies are enabled on my IE 8 install and it isn't detecting correctly.

Cheryl D Wise
http://by-expression.com (external link)
Canon Rebel T1i

Ahtz
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 08, 2010 13:50 |  #11

So I never posted up that I re-did my website. I ended up using wordpress. I used a template and then modified it quite a bit. Let me know what you think.

http://www.jasonalleni​mages.com/ (external link)

Also, my biggest complaint I have with it right now is that it seems to be slow. I use ipage for my host and i'm wondering if it's a problem with my host or with my code and site design.

Website (external link)

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,354 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 08, 2010 14:03 |  #12

It was a bit slow. After about 30 seconds I quit tried, and tried your link again and it worked, but your slideshow took a long time. Glad to see you changed your title tag and added some keywords, I bet your SEO is so much better now! Other than the slow-loading, it looks good.

Images in the Backcountry (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

Ahtz
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 09, 2010 11:40 as a reply to  @ Hikin Mike's post |  #13

Anyone have thoughts on why it's slow? My host says they "couldn't duplicate the problem" which seems to be their answer for everything......

Website (external link)

Vladimer
634 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 11, 2010 18:34 |  #14

Well I cant give you an exact answer since im still trying to wrap my head around HTML and CSS to build a page.

But I came a cross a extension for Firefox called 'Firebug (external link)'
It also has a plugin called ySlow (external link)

I haven't actually tried 'ySlow' so i cant comment much on it besides it being recommended in a few places I've been reading

Imagineering
197 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 18, 2010 18:15 |  #15

massively slow

http://www.garibaldiph​oto.com (external link)
I love the images I get from my camera phone

sponsored links

4,577 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another Website to Critique
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.