Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 07 Jan 2010 (Thursday) 20:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just Pulled the Trigger on a New PC

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 07, 2010 20:24 |  #1

Hi Guys

I just bought the following off of Newegg.com
Intel i7-860
EVGA P55 FTW
Corsair Dominator 2x2GB DDR3 1600
ASUS Radeon 5850
Zalman CNPS 9900A LED
Windows 7 64bit
XClio Windtunnel Full Desktop Case
Acer 22in Monitor (for my wife since I have two monitors already)

I plan to go to local Frys to buy a couple of 1TB WD Caviar Blacks for raid. Unfortunately, I had to cut a SSD out of this build, but I plan to just install one in 6 months or so. I am sooo looking forward to having more than 2GB of ram.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

sponsored links
basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 07, 2010 20:26 |  #2

If you got that (minus the 5850) for under $850, great system... But damn... 5850? i want one of those babies...

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

themadman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 07, 2010 20:35 |  #3

Ever since my second 8800GTX died I have been craving to build a new computer. I was lucky enough to be one of the first prize winners in the Great Newegg Gift-Away so my wife (who would NEVER let me build something like this) agreed because I got $500 from Newegg! This is the first time I have ever won any kind of drawing so I am soooo happy.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 07, 2010 20:50 |  #4

themadman wrote in post #9347923 (external link)
Ever since my second 8800GTX died I have been craving to build a new computer. I was lucky enough to be one of the first prize winners in the Great Newegg Gift-Away so my wife (who would NEVER let me build something like this) agreed because I got $500 from Newegg! This is the first time I have ever won any kind of drawing so I am soooo happy.

Lucky bastard :D

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

b.han
197 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 07, 2010 20:51 |  #5

Whoa! Big baller! Look out!

Congrats!

Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D Mark II || Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art || Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS || Canon 580 EX II

themadman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 13, 2010 03:11 |  #6

Well, all the stuff came today and I put it together. Only hiccup was I put the ram in the wrong slots, lol. (Apparently with only 1 set of ram you are suppose to put it in the grey slots, not the black slots)

Actually, thats a lie, I had another hiccup. I didn't order an optical drive, so I tried to cannibalize one from one my computers or friends computers... apparently ALL of us have parallel ata cable ones when my new mother board doesn't have a parallel ata port, lol. Had to drive to Frys and pick up a SATA optical drive, luckily they had one on sale for $30! =)

My wife took some photos while a friend and I put it together, I'll post once I get Lightroom and stuff onto this new computer =)

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 13, 2010 07:17 |  #7

themadman wrote in post #9383655 (external link)
Well, all the stuff came today and I put it together. Only hiccup was I put the ram in the wrong slots, lol. (Apparently with only 1 set of ram you are suppose to put it in the grey slots, not the black slots)

Actually, thats a lie, I had another hiccup. I didn't order an optical drive, so I tried to cannibalize one from one my computers or friends computers... apparently ALL of us have parallel ata cable ones when my new mother board doesn't have a parallel ata port, lol. Had to drive to Frys and pick up a SATA optical drive, luckily they had one on sale for $30! =)

My wife took some photos while a friend and I put it together, I'll post once I get Lightroom and stuff onto this new computer =)

Congrats! Can't wait to see the pics! :cool:

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

momo_chan18
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 15, 2010 00:36 |  #8

I'm Will's wife, I was taking the photos that day. So here are some pictures of the computer parts and the building process.

All the components in the box

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4275357131_5ed6be7c85_o.jpg

Processor

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2700/4276103676_7ba0141d8e_o.jpg

Will holding the heat sink

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4275357613_ef0fb7eb6f_o.jpg

Will and friend, building the computer

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4276103534_a50a56306c_o.jpg

Enjoy ;)

Patty l Gear List

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 15, 2010 07:26 as a reply to  @ momo_chan18's post |  #9

Great pics Patty!

Congrats on the new rig Will!!!

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 15, 2010 09:12 |  #10

Does that heatsink even fit in there !??!?

Gear List

YP5 ­ Toronto
499 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 15, 2010 10:42 |  #11

That heatsink is not even that big when considering the other options in the market. Enjoy the build.

Canon 7D Gripped |Tokina 11-16 | Sigma 30mm F1.4 |Canon EF 24-70L | |Canon EF 70-200L F2.8IS MKI |Sigma 530DG | Giottos 9360 | Giottos MH-1301 | Giottos MH656 | Spyder2Pro | Kata 3IN1-20 | Kata Bumblebee UL-222

themadman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 15, 2010 14:28 |  #12

Heh, I was worried at first as well that it wouldn't fit. Although I fit the Coolermaster V8 (which is also a 120mm fan heatsink) in my brother's medium format case so I figured this should fit in a full format case. The only issue was installing it was kinda annoying because it would bump the heatsinks around the CPU if it wasn't put in just right.

I am personally glad we could finally use that power source, we have had it sitting around for like a year or so, lol. I personally found it funny that the mother board had 4 power cables going to it. The large one, two of the 8 pin ones and a molex, lol.

b.han
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 15, 2010 16:18 |  #13

basroil wrote in post #9398297 (external link)
Does that heatsink even fit in there !??!?

Haha. I've put bigger heatsinks in smaller cases for some buddies. I love how you get the feeling that it's not going to fit and you end up laughing it off when you pull it off with a few millimeters of clearance.

Congrats on the new PC! You should post up some pics of your handy work. :D

Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D Mark II || Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art || Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS || Canon 580 EX II

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 15, 2010 16:55 |  #14

b.han wrote in post #9400842 (external link)
Haha. I've put bigger heatsinks in smaller cases for some buddies. I love how you get the feeling that it's not going to fit and you end up laughing it off when you pull it off with a few millimeters of clearance.

Congrats on the new PC! You should post up some pics of your handy work. :D

Meant more of because how EVGA loves to use giant heatsinks on the (now pci-e only) northbridge/southbridg​e, but yea, I can see that thing being an issue in a smaller case.

Gear List

b.han
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 15, 2010 17:02 |  #15

basroil wrote in post #9401100 (external link)
Meant more of because how EVGA loves to use giant heatsinks on the (now pci-e only) northbridge/southbridg​e, but yea, I can see that thing being an issue in a smaller case.

Ahh. Now that you mentioned, I see what you mean.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,666 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just Pulled the Trigger on a New PC
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.