Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Jan 2010 (Thursday) 17:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much weight can the CANON strap take?

JBF
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 14, 2010 20:06 |  #16

Those 4D's are really heavy!!!

JBF
Canon 7D, Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 24-105L f/4, Canon 35L 1.4, Canon 200L f/2.8, Canon 70-200L II IS f/2.8, Canon 300L f/2.8IS, 580ex Flash, 430ex Flash, 1.4X Converter. Bunch of other crap! I want the new 500mmL and the 200L f/2.0

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 14, 2010 20:08 |  #17

Jeffro250 wrote in post #9394586 (external link)
It will take more weight than you'd be wanting to hang off your neck!

I'd agree with that.

I regularly carry my 5d with 300 f/2.8L IS + TC hanging around my neck and never even think about the strap. The fabric is tough, it isn't going to just tear, and the fastenings are solid too.

That lens alone is 5.5 lbs, so with the 5d and a TC it will be around double the weight of the OPs combo weight of 3.5 lbs, so don't worry about it.

The only thing to watch for is wear on the strap where it rubs against the attachment point on the camera body. My 20D strap has worn about a third away at one end and is starting to look a bit frayed. It still felt solid as a rock, but I adjusted the strap slightly so that the worn bit is in a new position and won't wear away any more.

I should point out that the strap is now 5 years old and the camera is very well used (around 90,000 shots) so that isn't a regular occurrence, it should last as long as the camera without a second adjustment being necessary.

The straps are tough and designed to take a lot of weight, they will carry any body / lens / flash combo you care to use.

ImRaptor
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 14, 2010 20:11 |  #18

If I can dig up one of my Canon straps I'll hook it up to a load cell and see how much weight it can take before it lets go. I'm fairly confident that it will take way more weight than what someone would be comfortable hanging around their neck though.

http://imraptor.devian​tart.com/ (external link)
Why yes, I am a jerk. Thank you for asking.

jimken61
440 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 14, 2010 20:18 |  #19

Canaon 7D, gripped, Sigma 70-200 2.8 with Canon 580II flash, or 7D, gripped with a 100-400. Both heavy combos. No problem with the strap, it will hold out longer than I can

Gear List
http://www.nfspics.com (external link)

GSeries1
656 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 14, 2010 21:35 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

ImRaptor wrote in post #9395457 (external link)
If I can dig up one of my Canon straps I'll hook it up to a load cell and see how much weight it can take before it lets go. I'm fairly confident that it will take way more weight than what someone would be comfortable hanging around their neck though.

Make sure you videotape its destruction; for science of course.

Canon 1D | Canon G9

paradiddleluke
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,594 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 14, 2010 21:40 |  #21

yes I'd be very interested to see those results, just make sure you do one how it is strapped to the camera not just end to end! and video tape!

Website (external link) | Chicago Actor Headshots (external link) | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link)
- Luke S -

CW ­ Jones
737 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 14, 2010 22:12 |  #22

I saw the same strap in the store today, but it didn't really feel all that good to me, so I went with the Crumpler

-Collin
Canon 30D Gripped + The "Budget Trinity" of lenses.
Full Gear List Here
Flickr (external link)
Razzi (external link)

BTNorris
212 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 15, 2010 00:55 |  #23

CW Jones wrote in post #9396199 (external link)
I saw the same strap in the store today, but it didn't really feel all that good to me, so I went with the Crumpler

Yup... that's good too.

I like the clips on mine so I can attach the camera to my backpack and free my neck completely. Back on topic (somewhat) --->

I have wondered about the strength of the clips and if they'll let loose, but so far they've been rock-solid.

7D, 17-55, 50 1.4, 70-200, 10-22, Kenko Tubes, OPTIX xr, Einstein

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 15, 2010 01:36 |  #24

Straps generally are pretty hard to tear just by pulling. I can imagine one strap would require many more newtons than the weight pulling down. Unless your body has some sharp object that has a small incision, I wouldn't worry about hanging it off my neck. (unless you're putting a 400mm f2.8 or something off your neck. that's just plain ridiculous)

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 15, 2010 12:45 as a reply to  @ SiaoP's post |  #25

I don't Canon straps .. in fact I don't even take them out of the box.

I like the OpTech (and POTN version) strap .. using the 3/8" webbing connectors. That way I can have a neck strap and a wrist strap in one.

My Gear List  :p

sponsored links

4,107 views & 0 likes for this thread
How much weight can the CANON strap take?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.