Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Jan 2010 (Thursday) 08:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canon 17-55mm vs Tamron 17-50+flash - complicated!

salluks
42 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 14, 2010 08:27 |  #1

Looking at the title, the answer may seem easy, the tamron 17-50+flash, but here goes:

I am from India, and there's no Tamron service at all, so having a 5 yr warranty is quite useless for men, i can only get it serviced by local camera shops should anything go wrong.

On the other hand, the best canon service center in my state is walkable distance from my place(but extremely expensive).

The downside of buying canon would be, India is VERY dusty country(anybody been there will know!), so the dust problem might be a bigger issue than what others get..

One of my relative is coming down from US soon, i thought of getting the canon from there as its much more cheaper there than here, but am not sure if canon has global warranty..

If i buy the canon, then i may not have funds for flash+UV+CPL!

What would you people suggest??

sponsored links
Joaaso
555 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 14, 2010 08:33 |  #2

Right below this thread right now: Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM VS. Tamron 17-50

aaso-photography (external link) | Flickr (external link)
5D Mk IV | 5D Mk II
EF 24-70/4L | EF 24-105/4L | Samyang 14/2.8 | TS-E 24/3.5L II | EF 35/1.4L II | EF 85/1.8 | EF 135/2L | EF 200/2.8L II | 1,4x TC

Green_Tea
POTN Poet
645 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 14, 2010 08:54 |  #3

You are going to get dust in either one of those lenses, neither is sealed. There are two versions of the tamron, a VC and an older non VC. I have never used the VC but it is generally regarded as being slightly soft. For me that discounts the tamron 17-50 VC. The non-VC is decently sharp, though not as good as the 17-55. The IS of the 17-55 is a huge advantage if you want to be able to shoot using ambient light. If you will be shooting things that are moving (even people walking around) depending on light levels you will definitely want the flash. A third option you have not considered is the Canon 17-40L with a flash. I usually wouldn't recommend it on a crop, but if you put a UV filter on it, it will be weather sealed and you wont have to worry about the dust. So, to summarize:

Canon 17-55 IS
Pros
-Greatest range of focal length
-IS
-Extremely sharp
Cons
-You may be using shutter speeds to low to freeze motion depending on light levels
-Dust

Tamron 17-50 VC and a flash
Pros
-VC
-Flash
-Still has a fairly large focal range
-Works well for static or moving subjects
Cons
-Not as sharp
-Dust

Tamron 17-50 non-VC and a flash
Pros
-Flash
-Still has a fairly large focal range
-Decent sharpness
Cons
-No VC
-Dust

Canon 17-40 L and a flash
Pros
-Flash
-Great sharpness
-Weather sealed with a UV filter
Cons
-No IS
-Smallest focal range
-f/4

I much prefer to shoot with ambient light, and am a sucker for sharpness so my pick would be the 17-55 but it ultimately comes down to what and how you want to shoot.
-Trevor

6D|7D| Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX| Canon 100mm L IS macro| Canon 24-70 II L| Canon MP-E 65| 600 EX-RT| MT-24EX

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 14, 2010 09:12 |  #4

salluks wrote in post #9391040 (external link)
Looking at the title, the answer may seem easy, the tamron 17-50+flash, but here goes:

I am from India, and there's no Tamron service at all, so having a 5 yr warranty is quite useless for men, i can only get it serviced by local camera shops should anything go wrong.

On the other hand, the best canon service center in my state is walkable distance from my place(but extremely expensive).

The downside of buying canon would be, India is VERY dusty country(anybody been there will know!), so the dust problem might be a bigger issue than what others get..
One of my relative is coming down from US soon, i thought of getting the canon from there as its much more cheaper there than here, but am not sure if canon has global warranty..
If i buy the canon, then i may not have funds for flash+UV+CPL!
What would you people suggest??

the Tamron 17-50 2.8 (non-vc) + flash

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …&FLI=0&API=0&Le​nsComp=398 (external link)

Joaaso
555 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 14, 2010 12:15 |  #5

Green_Tea wrote in post #9391185 (external link)
Canon 17-55 IS
Pros
-Greatest range of focal length
-IS
-Extremely sharp
-USM
Cons
-You may be using shutter speeds to low to freeze motion depending on light levels
-Dust

Canon 17-40 L and a flash
Pros
-Flash
-Great sharpness
-Weather sealed with a UV filter
-USM
Cons
-No IS
-Smallest focal range
-f/4

fixed;-)a for me at least USM is a HUGE pro for the canons..

watt100 wrote in post #9391272 (external link)
the Tamron 17-50 2.8 (non-vc) + flash

I'd take those test shots from the 17-55 with a grain of salt.. from the review; "This lens is sharp! Wide open and from edge to edge. Unless the distance is close that is - I'm finding that close subjects do not produce the same image sharpness as normal distance subjects. The ISO 12233 chart test results indicate this as well." I'm suspecting that there is some sample-variation here, cause mine performs alot better than that at close range.. Imo, this test is much more representative:
http://www.pbase.com/l​ightrules/zoomzoom (external link)"]http://www.pbase.com/l​ightrules/zoomzoom (external link)

5D Mk IV | 5D Mk II
EF 24-70/4L | EF 24-105/4L | Samyang 14/2.8 | TS-E 24/3.5L II | EF 35/1.4L II | EF 85/1.8 | EF 135/2L | EF 200/2.8L II | 1,4x TC

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 14, 2010 13:27 |  #6

Joaaso wrote in post #9392358 (external link)
I'd take those test shots from the 17-55 with a grain of salt.. from the review; "This lens is sharp! Wide open and from edge to edge. Unless the distance is close that is - I'm finding that close subjects do not produce the same image sharpness as normal distance subjects. The ISO 12233 chart test results indicate this as well." I'm suspecting that there is some sample-variation here, cause mine performs alot better than that at close range.. Imo, this test is much more representative:
http://www.pbase.com/l​ightrules/zoomzoom (external link)

IMO - I would take all personal lens tests with a grain of salt!
I like lens comparison sites like www.photozone.de (external link) and

better than pics posted or personal opinions/reviews but I also got a chance to try out lens with a local photography club, that's actually where I discovered the Tamron 17-50 was a very good value compared to Canon

Nifkin
354 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 14, 2010 13:40 as a reply to  @ watt100's post |  #7

I don't listen to personal reviews, or lens comparison sites like thedigitalpicture either; I review the lenses myself! Ta-daaaa! 1x Tamron 17-50 non-VC, 2x Tamron 17-50 VC (first copy was definitely a dud) then the EF-S 17-55, and the last I kept for all the right reasons ;) Sure, it's expensive (and a lil bit of that cost, it has to be said, is for the Canon name), but it is the best out of the three for IQ and usability, with the non-VC Tammy coming a close, helped by it's bargain price, second :D

Nifkin Puffoon

EOS 5D MkIII | EOS 5D MkII | EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4EX DG HSM | Speedlite 600EX RT

Joaaso
555 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 14, 2010 15:34 |  #8

watt100 wrote in post #9392888 (external link)
IMO - I would take all personal lens tests with a grain of salt!
I like lens comparison sites like www.photozone.de (external link) and

better than pics posted or personal opinions/reviews but I also got a chance to try out lens with a local photography club, that's actually where I discovered the Tamron 17-50 was a very good value compared to Canon

yeah generally I agree, I just linked to that review because it was the only other one I could remember that has samples at multiple focal lengths and apertures, like thedigitalpicture, and since the latter one doesnt have the most representative 17-55 samples then...;-)a

5D Mk IV | 5D Mk II

salluks
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 15, 2010 03:44 |  #9

i cant afford to test these as they aren't available here barring canon.
i guess i'll stick with 17-55 and buy flash later!

Ricky09
72 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 15, 2010 08:01 |  #10

salluks wrote in post #9397304 (external link)

Do that. Get the lens first and the flash later. I was in the same situation and can't decide between the 17-55, 15-85 and the Tamron VC. Here's what I found during all my testing,reading and checking posted pics around the net:

Tamron VC: Has very sharp center, but the edges are soft even stopped down to f/4. I get spot on focus whenever I use the flash, but inconsistent when shooting without flash. The color is brighter and warmer than the 17-55. The "VC" drifts before it stabilize and lock on focus and I find this annoying really. If you really want this lens, I suggest not to touch the 17-55 because it will make you change your mind very fast. IMO, its the 2nd best lens after the Canon.

Canon 15-85: Great overall performance, but IMO, I don't see a big jump from the already sharp IS kit lens. The images are darker and somehow noisy compare to Tamron and the 17-55. To be honest, I don't see the sharpness that people are talking about; go view the pictures that people posted between these two lenses and you will see what I mean.

Canon 17-55: Its sharp across the frame and through all focal length. The focus is spot on even on dim lights. The colors is in the cooler side compare to the Tamron, but that can be fix later in pp. It's the heaviest, but you will soon forget once you start shooting with it. I drag this lens around Vegas all day I didn't even notice the weight 'cause I was so happy with its result. Its that good.

I gave up the Tamron VC + 430EXII for the 17-55. I just hate regrets that's all and the Canon proved itself.

You have to test the 17-55 in person to really experience what I mean. Don't believe what people say because most of them are bias anyway. You gotta see the results with your own eyes.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 15, 2010 08:07 |  #11

Ricky09 wrote in post #9397969 (external link)
Don't believe what people say because most of them are bias anyway. You gotta see the results with your own eyes.

OK, so that advice also applies to you - right?

Green_Tea
POTN Poet
645 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 15, 2010 10:03 |  #12

Joaaso wrote in post #9392358 (external link)
fixed;-)a for me at least USM is a HUGE pro for the canons..

Thanks, good catch, USM is a big deal
-Trevor

6D|7D| Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX| Canon 100mm L IS macro| Canon 24-70 II L| Canon MP-E 65| 600 EX-RT| MT-24EX

blssdwlf
543 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 16, 2010 11:58 |  #13

salluks wrote in post #9397304 (external link)

Say what lens are you using now? If you already have the kit lens 18-55 then get the flash first. Unless you have an overriding need for constant f/2.8 or IS, a flash will give you biggest bang for the buck IMHO.

Regards,
Peter
--= gear: 400D / 17-50 / 55-250 / nifty-50 / flash / etc =--

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,195 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 16, 2010 12:16 |  #14

blssdwlf wrote in post #9405319 (external link)
Say what lens are you using now? If you already have the kit lens 18-55 then get the flash first. Unless you have an overriding need for constant f/2.8 or IS, a flash will give you biggest bang for the buck IMHO.

+1

430Ex II [$250] is alot cheaper then 1K and you will be getting a tool that will enhance your existing glass and any lens you purchase in the future.

Regards,:D

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

arondee
89 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 16, 2010 12:21 |  #15

Which ever choice you make get a flash. Before I owned a flash the idea of spending $200+ on a flash of light was obscene, but my wife went out and bought me one for my birthday a year ago. Now I can't live without it. The flash alone will help improve your photography more than any new lens. If I had to choose between the lenses you mentioned I'd take one of the 17-50 Tamrons. I have the original non-vc version and it's an awesome lens. I've heard mixed reviews on the VC version though so if you do decide that VC is important do your research and read more reviews from people that own that lens. I've heard is not quite as sharp as the original but then again the people that have said this may have gotten a bad copy, I'm not really sure.

Nikon D7000
85mm 1.4D
| 30mm 1.8G[COLOR=Red] | 18-55 VR | 1 SB-700 & 2 YN-460II Flashes | 1 Cactus V2s | 3 Yongnuo RF-602

sponsored links

2,612 views & 0 likes for this thread
canon 17-55mm vs Tamron 17-50+flash - complicated!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.