Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 15 Jan 2010 (Friday) 20:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BIF pics from this week!!

ducklabdad
579 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 15, 2010 20:56 |  #1

Have not posted in a while, Work is a killer, but here are a few BIF shots from this week in the mornings on my way in to work.

Hope they are getting a little better!!

Canada Goose:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i412.photobucke​t.com …3/ducklabdad/01​9-Copy.jpg (external link)

http://i412.photobucke​t.com …3/ducklabdad/02​0-Copy.jpg (external link)

Ring billed Gull:

http://i412.photobucke​t.com …/pp203/ducklabd​ad/520.jpg (external link)

Northern Shoveler:

http://i412.photobucke​t.com …p203/ducklabdad​/099-2.jpg (external link)

Just an "ole dog" trying to learn "new tricks"! helpful advice is always welcome!!

Canon 7d, Canon XS/ XSi,18-55, 14-40 L, 70-300, and Bigmos! my"work in progress" http://ducklabdad.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
dbriz
POTN MILLIONAIRE
8,984 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 15, 2010 21:53 |  #2

Just another very "ole dog" checking in... :) .. I don't know if I can give you any brilliant technical advice, I am sure there are many out there that can do that...( I got help on a raven post )... but that second shot of the goose is very nice angle, from wing tip to wing tip... I don't know what you are shooting for a camera, but in PP I guess I would boost the levels, exposure, shadow & highlights and do some NR.

The shoveler is very nice, the white is a tad blown out aside the breast, but all in all the light is quite beautiful... especially on the bill, head and wing edges... a pretty shot.

db

7d, 50D, 400mm f/5.6, 300mm f/4, 70-200mm f/4 IS, 50mm f/1.8

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 15, 2010 23:11 as a reply to  @ dbriz's post |  #3

My favorite is the Northern Shoveler. They are all nice captures, but seemed to be a bit soft. I looked at the EXIF from the first image and examined it in Photoshop. The image seems to be a bit dark and I noticed that you used -1.67 stops of exposure compensation. I suspect that the image did not need that much negative exposure compensation. Also, while the high shutter speed is great for freezing motion, I think that stopping down to f/8, shooting at 1/2000 sec shutter speed, and perhaps even using ISO 200 or 100 would have been possible.

Was the image shot in JPG or RAW? I ask because the white balance is off considerably from what I would have expected (everything seems to have a green bias). I think a little more capture sharpening (either in-camera for JPG or post processing for RAW) would improve the image sharpness. Also, the image has some chromatic aberration and fixing that will contribute to improving sharpness.

I edited the image in Camera RAW to perform a white balance and adjust chromatic aberration and then did a minimal amount of sharpening in Photoshop. This seems to indicate that the image you captured is reasonably sharp and all that is needed is a bit of editing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

ducklabdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
579 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 16, 2010 05:13 |  #4

Bill and DB, Thanks so much for the info, I am still a baby at processing and have done very little and only with the canon pack, I am signed up for a little class on lightroom I hope will give me a leg up.

I am still using the Quantaray 70-300 piece of junk, and trying to get the best out of learning to better my technique as I am saving for a Bigmos to get me "out there" surgery for me and the wife both, got in the way of my upgrade, but soon!!!. I really appreciate all the help everyone on here is giving this "ole dog" as he works through the digital learning curve.

Thanks,
Bill H. aka ducklabdad

Just an "ole dog" trying to learn "new tricks"! helpful advice is always welcome!!

Canon 7d, Canon XS/ XSi,18-55, 14-40 L, 70-300, and Bigmos! my"work in progress" http://ducklabdad.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,403 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 16, 2010 06:09 |  #5

Nice captures, I never used to get those sort of photo opportunities on the way to work !

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,671 posts
Gallery: 329 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 16, 2010 07:13 |  #6

I like them all. Except for the last they're all a bit underexposed and look a bit soft, but as far as I can tell they are all in focus. Taking a Lightroom class is a great idea. It will much improve your images. I like the gull very much by the way.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

hTr
Cream of the Crop
22,453 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 16, 2010 07:34 |  #7

Post Processing Part of the Game!!

gary

ducklabdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
579 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 16, 2010 15:39 |  #8

Thank you arty and levinader. Arty, if I don't get shots right now going to work, or at lunch, I don't get to shoot. I carry my camera with me everywhere, and I try to optimize my route to the office to increase opportunities. I will share some more of those in the next few days, but it is really amazing at what is there when you really "see" what is around you even in a large metro area with over 1 million like here in the Memphis area.

I am looking forward to increasing my Post processing, but at the same time, I am bound and determined to have the best I can to "play with" when I do learn more about post processing. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 16, 2010 17:39 |  #9

ducklabdad wrote in post #9406363 (external link)
.... but at the same time, I am bound and determined to have the best I can to "play with" when I do learn more about post processing ..........

That is the best approach, by far. Getting it "right" in the camera minimizes post processing work.

Post-processing has its limitations -- it can be used to enhance a good exposure, but it can't make a bad exposure "good" -- at least, not yet. I have a request in to Adobe for a new Photoshop "remorseful pre-capture history brush" that would allow the user to "paint" in what the photographer had hoped to capture in place of what was actually captured.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

jic2
55 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 16, 2010 17:44 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

jack that shutter speed=sharper pics. Nice series. The bif is a ****.

jic2

sponsored links

1,099 views & 0 likes for this thread
BIF pics from this week!!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.