Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Jan 2010 (Friday) 20:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My DIY Gel Holder - Total Cost 80 cent plus tax

NorCalNomad
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 16, 2010 22:33 |  #16

Liazon wrote in post #9408557 (external link)
Does the use of acrylic like that eat up light? I know gels do, but Velcro on the sides work for me. In some situations i dont want extra light to be wasted when i need it.

good point...this needs A TEST :D

I'll see if I can stop by walmart tomorrow, pick some up and test

...screw listing gear,it just sets up preconceived notions...but if you must link (external link)

NorCalNomad.com (external link)
Industrial Design Portfolio (external link)
$15 Targus Monopod Review

sponsored links
Apollo.11
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 16, 2010 22:36 |  #17

nice thread, thanks for sharing. could you use a white material to make a flash diffuser out of this?

Some Stuff

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 16, 2010 23:11 |  #18

Great tip Gong - thanks much for sharing your ingenuity ;).

I don't believe it should eat up any light at all, at least not enough that we would notice it, or anything that would affect the overall exposure. If it did reduce any, the camera/flash ETTL would notice it, and the flash would squirt out a bit more to compensate.

Liazon wrote in post #9408557 (external link)
Does the use of acrylic like that eat up light? I know gels do, but Velcro on the sides work for me. In some situations i dont want extra light to be wasted when i need it.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

NorCalNomad
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 17, 2010 01:24 |  #19

Apollo.11 wrote in post #9408589 (external link)
nice thread, thanks for sharing. could you use a white material to make a flash diffuser out of this?

you could get frosted plexiglass, but you have to do that fold over part by yourself. And from my work with plexiglass 180 bends are tricky.

...screw listing gear,it just sets up preconceived notions...but if you must link (external link)

jbdial1515
248 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 17, 2010 22:13 |  #20

Made one tonight using a grinder to cut the frame down and a lighter to bend the plexi...Can't wait to try to with some gels.

Thanks for the idea.

30D | Canon 70-200 f/4 L | Canon 24-105 f/4 L | Canon 580EX II and 500 DG Super

111t
577 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 17, 2010 22:40 |  #21

Very nice.

All The best!
-Paul

WHAT TO DO IF YOU DON"T HAVE A LIGHT METER AND YOU STILL WANT TO MAKE INTELLIGENT EXPOSURE DECISIONS.

darkness77
95 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 18, 2010 18:15 |  #22

thats a nice diy project. Gonna give it a go tonight.

mcgong
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 18, 2010 23:49 as a reply to  @ darkness77's post |  #23

Thanks everyone, hope this helps many of you out. I haven't had any issues with it eating up any light. I have also tried it with a Lumiquest SB III that I just got and it works great, although I think I will go back to my trusty umbrellas.

Never thought about using a lighter, but I guess that could be done if you don't have a heat gun. Good thinking jbdial!

The good thing about this is that they are fairly easy to make. You can knock one out in about 10 mins or so and they cost so cheap. So if you break one or loose it, no biggies.

5D2 - 20mm,50L,7-200L

Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 19, 2010 00:20 |  #24

Great IDEA!! Mine work great!

Dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

mcgong
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 19, 2010 09:44 as a reply to  @ Muskydave22's post |  #25

Does anyone have a good idea of how to carry the gels? I am trying to find something the is compact and I can organize the gels by type. The only thing I have come up with is by using one of those picture holders that come in wallets. It works, but maybe there is a better DIY solution out there.

5D2 - 20mm,50L,7-200L

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 19, 2010 10:07 |  #26

I keep my gels on a wire shower curtain hanger, like this one... http://www.everyfaucet​.com/Bobrick-B-204-1-BCK1006.html (external link). $1 for 12 of them at the Dollar store. Sort them as you like. A rubber band keeps them from flopping all over (gently holding, not tight at all). Simply flip to the one you want, open the hook, close the hook, done.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

NorCalNomad
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 21, 2010 18:47 |  #27

I took some photos against a off white wall and was looking at the histogram of the light. This holder does diffuse and eat up the light a tiny bit. But it is SOOOO minuscule that you can not notice it.

Can post up photo's and histograms if people want to see.

NorCalNomad
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 23, 2010 22:27 |  #28

This needs to be on the DIY sticky

dr4gon
169 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 23, 2010 23:18 |  #29

Wow that's an excellent idea!

flickr (external link)
5DIII, 24-105 (external link)L, 70-200/2.8L IS, 100L, 17-40L, 50/1.8 II | 550EX - 430EX II - PW MiniTT1 - (2) FlexTT5

yanr
102 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 24, 2010 08:58 |  #30

Great idea. I've always thought about doing this, but I wasn't sure where to get the frame. Of course Walmart has it, duh! haha Thanks for sharing pictures of the process.

Canon 40D + More

sponsored links

21,186 views & 0 likes for this thread
My DIY Gel Holder - Total Cost 80 cent plus tax
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.