Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Jan 2010 (Tuesday) 03:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please help me choose new lenses for a wedding.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 19, 2010 04:51 |  #16

Another alternative is the 17-50 VR from Tamron.

I wouldn't do primes starting out. You'd need a 2nd body to be effective and even if you had 2 cameras, it can be more harmful than helpful if you don't know the flow of a wedding and where to be at what times.

I don't recommend the 50 1.8. It'll fail you when you need it most.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links
djglenn1337
124 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 19, 2010 04:59 as a reply to  @ post 9423993 |  #17

For a good guide on UK lens prices try www.camerapricebuster.​com (external link)

As someone previously mentioned we really would need to know your light conditions.

Tbh, I am in a similar boat as yourself. I am getting married next year and am strongly planning family / me doing the pictures.

I am personally not interested in a 50 page album, but would be happy with 5+ good pictures.

I think the 50mm 1.8 is a no brainer, especially in low light, however the ability to zoom may be necessary. Therefore a Sigma 18-50mm 2.8, or a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 might be a better choice. Both are currently around £300 in the UK.

I personally do not see how a tele zoom would be beneficial at a wedding...but thats just me.

My Gear
Canon 550D, Σ10-20mm, 18-55mm IS, Σ17-50mm 2.8 OS, 55-250mm IS, 60mm 2.8 Macro, 430EX II & Battery Grip

mido
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 19, 2010 05:09 |  #18

I think that two primes might work well. Does any one know if the cannon 85mm 1.4 USM has motor or ring? Sorry for the question, but I'm on my smartphone and it is pain ass to browse. I have a tripod so no IS won't be that bad I think. I found 85mm for 320 GBP. Any other ideas if I was able to stretch my budget LITTLE bit? Thanks for replies.

mido
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 19, 2010 05:17 |  #19

Thanks guys. When I'll come back home ill compare some prices etc and will get back to you later. Thanks a lot! Yes I'm not interested in many photos either. This is going to be cheap and small wedding.

mike-s
61 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 19, 2010 05:18 |  #20

mido wrote in post #9424090 (external link)
I think that two primes might work well. Does any one know if the cannon 85mm 1.4 USM has motor or ring? Sorry for the question, but I'm on my smartphone and it is pain ass to browse. I have a tripod so no IS won't be that bad I think. I found 85mm for 320 GBP. Any other ideas if I was able to stretch my budget LITTLE bit? Thanks for replies.

I take it you mean the 85mm f1.8. This is a ring-USM lens with full-time manual focusing.

Mike: 5D3, 6D, 40D, 50mm f2.5, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8STM, 17-40L, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8 L IS, 2x580EX flashes, EX380 flash

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 19, 2010 05:32 |  #21

mido wrote in post #9423914 (external link)
P.S. I dont need a flash to pull this off, right?

You would get "pictures", but they might not be very good. Flash (or other supplemental lighting) is usually a requirement in most churches.

We would have to see the church to get a better idea, but a wedding photographer is usually prepared for ANY lighting situation.

skacko
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 19, 2010 05:46 |  #22

First try and sell the kit lens. Whatever money you get invest in better lens(es).
Canon ef-s 17-55 f2.8 IS would be my first lens, 85 f1.8 the second. You might juuuust fit with your budget..
good luck

Retouch ­ UK
224 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 19, 2010 05:54 as a reply to  @ skacko's post |  #23

If you dont mind buying used Id jump on this one, im sure it wont take long to sell. It sells for about £800 new.

https://photography-on-the.net …?t=811316&highl​ight=17-55

Chris

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 19, 2010 11:55 |  #24

If you are able to find one, in your situation, you might be better off renting for the weekend. If you are not familiar with shooting in low light, you might need to get a flash and learn to bounce it to save your shots as a beginner.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 19, 2010 12:16 |  #25

I know you already bought the camera so it's a little late but as someone mentioned already shooting your own wedding is not a good idea at all. Even if you get uncle Bob or someone in your family to do it, they better be familiar with the camera before you handed over even if they were "pros" before. If money still there or somehow available, hire a pro photographer or a good friend photographer that can cut you a break in price and enjoy your new camera in your honeymoon with the kit lens.

I good lens will cost you over $1000.00 US. I also had a cheap small second wedding about 10 years ago and would have never even tried shooting my own wedding, would have been a disaster for sure, enjoy the moment and let someone else worry about getting those good shots, your wife to be would certainly appreciate it.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

s2kennyc
849 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 19, 2010 12:18 |  #26

In my opnion 85mm 1.8 is too long on a 50D body for indoor shots.

50mm 1.4 would be my choice. I would just skip over the 50 1.8 since the thing will hunt for focus in dimly lit situations.

As many have stated, if budget permits, get the 17-55 2.8 IS for your 50D.

-Ken
flickr (external link)

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 19, 2010 12:26 |  #27

Yes, avoid the 50mm 1.8. The IQ can be good but at the price of inconsistent AF.

The 17-55 2.8 IS is a great do everything lens. The Tamron 17-50 VR is a good option too.

Ah heck, just do what CDIfoto says. It's always good advice :D

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 19, 2010 12:33 |  #28

mido wrote in post #9423914 (external link)
Now I'm 23 and I'm about to get married. I thought it would be a good idea to buy my own camera instead of hiring a photograph[er].

You're going to be photographing your OWN wedding??????????????

:confused:

Folks here advise against shooting your daughter's/son's wedding.

Hire someone, and enjoy the day! Photographing a wedding is HARD WORK!

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 19, 2010 13:30 |  #29

It definately is hard work. He says his family has been into photography for years though, so if they understand the basic concepts, they would just need to learn to use new tools. If they have the "eye" then then can get it done. Practice before hand. It can be done, but is not recommended. Enjoy the day. You are spending a lot of money to create this day. YOu do not get to do it over again. Make sure you are confident in your family. It is not a point and shoot. The more expensive the camera, the harder they are to use.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

laydros
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 19, 2010 14:00 |  #30

I shot a wedding with a 40D, 17-50, and 85. I was second shooter but outside of my lack of posing skills felt like I could have done it myself and had very good results.

The church was well lit, and the wedding was in the early afternoon, and with the faster lenses I was able to get away with no flash. We were allowed to use flash during the ceremony but opted not to. The posed formals were done with a pair of studio strobes thru umbrellas, which could be rented.

The primary shooter had a Nikon 18-135, which is a slower lens. She still got some great stuff during the ceremony, but she had a harder time getting stuff going on at the reception, where I had a flash.

I'd sell the kit lens and find a way to land those two lenses.

Jason Hamilton - flickr (external link) - Twitter (external link) - laydros.org (external link)
Canon 5D, 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.8 II, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 430EX
Nikon FE, 35/2, 50/1.8, 105/2.5 and Mamiya C220 Complete Gear List.

sponsored links

3,957 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please help me choose new lenses for a wedding.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.