I've been working on a Mac solution for this, mainly due to the existing solutions being so expensive.
The main things I decided it required were:
- Client Details
- Name Address
- Linked Contacts
- Mailing list
- View of all photo shoots involving client
- Enquiry details
- Preferred contact method (phone/email/post)
- Follow Up date
- How they found us
- Booked photo shoots
- Dates & times (& Schedule)
- Shot List
- History of key points (quote sent, contact sent, payment received etc.)
- Quotes for various different (customisable) packages
- Ability to print a personalised quote/invoice
- Payments received
- Address book sync
- Since mine is for a Mac it syncs with an address book group (easy sync with other devices)
- Calendar Sync
- Shoot dates
- Task deadlines
- Enquiry Follow up dates etc.
- Since mine is for a Mac it syncs with an iCal calendar group (easy sync with other devices)
I think my main concern was I didn’t want to replicate existing software but integrate with it. It doesn't seem worth me writing an new address book when there are good ones already out there, same with the calendar, I don’t want to implement all the calendar functionality when there is a pretty good one already available. Users aren’t going to want to maintain their data in two locations, so if possible give them the option to stay in sync.
I found as I started to write the code, my requirements grew exponentially, and it is getting more and more complex.
Those have been my ideas whilst writing the software anyway.
I'm hoping to release a beta version in about a month.