Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Aug 2009 (Tuesday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

sigma 30mm f/1.4 focus noise (creaking sound)

craiglee
731 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 11, 2009 22:33 |  #1

http://dl.getdropbox.c​om/u/39778/sdgsdg.mp3 (external link)

it only happens when it's focusing closer than it's focusing range, but it sounds pretty nasty. anyone else have this problem?

http://www.richardtyi.​com/ (external link)
http://www.richardtyi.​com/blog (external link)
potn feedback

sponsored links
JamesH
133 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 12, 2009 04:14 |  #2

I went and grabbed mine. The only noise it makes is the regular krrrrrt noise that it makes no matter where its trying to focus. Yours seems to have more old school computer noise to it. If its working ok I'd prolly leave it.

Fujifilm X-T1 | Fujifilm X100S | Fujifilm X100T

dlintz
613 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 12, 2009 08:20 as a reply to  @ JamesH's post |  #3

I used to have one that sounded like that. I figured the focusing motor was going bad so I sent it to Sigma (under warranty). They either fixed or replaced the motor and took care of the front focusing issue.

d.

Doug

1Ds II 17-40L - 24-70L - Sigmalux - Sigma 85 f/1.4 - 70-200L 2.8 II - Sigma 1.4x - G9 - Cybersyncs and some other stuff

phigment
230 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 12, 2009 09:41 as a reply to  @ dlintz's post |  #4

When I had a 40D and that lens it made that sound if I tried to AF with the camera pointed towards the floor.

Nothing bad ever came of it, but I did only have it for about 6 months before selling the camera/lens.

A7R, Firin 20mm, CV 21/4, CV 40/1.4, 100ZE, 300 4LIS, Tamron 150-600, Jupiter 8, RX100 IV

shaolinmonk
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 22, 2010 12:18 |  #5

it's like the rubber grinding squeaking noise right??? mine does it too.. usually when pointing up/down or being too close..

is the motor dying? did you send it in to warranty?

sjlund
568 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 22, 2010 12:23 |  #6

I picked up what I thought was a good deal on a "D" or Demo quality 50-500 from Adorama that ended up making a squeaking noise while focusing when it was cold outside (20F-30F). I sent it in to Sigma for evaluation and it needed hundreds of dollars of work. It went back to Adorama.

Gear List

shaolinmonk
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 22, 2010 13:18 as a reply to  @ sjlund's post |  #7

hmm.. doesn't sound too good.. i'm not having any issues with it.. but it still has warranty so i'll probably send it in.

sjlund
568 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 22, 2010 14:32 |  #8

If you have warranty, I'd send it in. HSM shouldn't make that type of noise.

Gear List

LostShootingStar
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 22, 2010 17:30 |  #9

Definitely send that in while you still have the warranty on it!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

AWGD8
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 22, 2010 17:58 |  #10

I think that sound is normal. It seems to happen when you point the lens from dark to suddenly bright environment. When that happens, you`ll see the diaphragm going crazy and couldn`t decide if it wants to open up or close it... I saw the lens opening close and open quickly back and forth due to quick change of lighting environment. Mine works flawlessly even after doing that sound, which i only heard probably 2 times since I got the lens brand new. This sound only happens when there is a bright source of light hitting the lens directly. i cant remember if it happens on live view or the viewfinder view?

When you hear that sound look at what the diaprhagm is doing. I might be wrong...???

http://awd8.zenfolio.c​om/ (external link)
Alamy Creative Collection Contributor.
Sony Nex5n w/ 18-55 kit lens/ Canon FDn 50 1.4
Had: 5Dc , XSi , S95, Fuji X10, Sigma 30mm 1.4/ 50 1.4 , 85 1.8, 24-70L , 24 LII 1.4,

itmfl
226 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 22, 2010 21:41 |  #11

that noise doesn't sound normal. sometimes mine makes a sound when focusing too, but it's a deeper sound, kinda like a short second of darth vader's breath, but not a creaking noise like that. maybe you should have the hsm checked out by sigma

XTI | G10 | 24-105L | 30 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 430EX II

AWGD8
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 22, 2010 21:56 |  #12

I listen to the sound the second time with a different pc and yes, this sound is different than the sound I hear on mine. Mine was like a click or krrrttt sound....the OP sound seems like a grinding sound.

http://awd8.zenfolio.c​om/ (external link)
Alamy Creative Collection Contributor.
Sony Nex5n w/ 18-55 kit lens/ Canon FDn 50 1.4
Had: 5Dc , XSi , S95, Fuji X10, Sigma 30mm 1.4/ 50 1.4 , 85 1.8, 24-70L , 24 LII 1.4,

shaolinmonk
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 10, 2010 07:47 |  #13

just got mine back... the repair completed under warranty was fixed af focus system... not sure what that really means but the sound is gone..

baotloi
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 03, 2011 16:32 as a reply to  @ shaolinmonk's post |  #14

Hey have anyone recorded with the 30mm before? I'm using a 7D with the 30mm wide open at 1.4 and it gives me this constant clicking noise. Sigma says it's normal but to me it doesn't seem normal if the click sound stops at 1.8. It is heard clear in the internal mic. Anyone have anything to say about this?

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 03, 2011 16:35 |  #15

i havent tried mine in video mode ill go check.

EDIT:

mine doesnt do it. do you mean it clicks while changing fstops in video mode because that is normal. but if it makes clicking noises while at f1.4 and you arent doing anything THAT is not normal

sponsored links

7,058 views & 0 likes for this thread
sigma 30mm f/1.4 focus noise (creaking sound)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.