Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Jun 2007 (Tuesday) 00:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canadians, please share your Sigma repair experience

asun
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 12, 2007 00:36 |  #1

Hello all,

I just found out that my Sigma 17-70mm has the dreaded backfocus problem. I'm thinking of sending it to Gentec for repair. Unfortunately, the lens is purchased from ebay and hence I don't have the original receipt for it. There is a blank warranty card though.

So what are my options now? Do I have to eat the repair charge? Can I reason with them that since the lens has not even been released for more than a year yet, it should fall under warranty? Thanks for all suggestions and also please share any experience you have with Gentec.

sponsored links
ScottE
Goldmember
3,179 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jun 12, 2007 22:35 |  #2

Give them a call and explain what happened. I have no idea what they will do about warranty if you don't have a receipt, they always ask for a copy of the invoice when you send them a lens.

I have had good service from Gentec. I have had to send my 105 macro in twice to have the chip replaced and my 50-500 in once to have the zoom mechanism replaced and once to have the autofocus mechanism replaced. In all cases the lenses came back within 10-14 days, properly repaired and thoroughly cleaning. They charged me for repairing the zoom because it was dropped, but the other repairs were all done under warranty for no charge. I only paid for shipping to Gentec. I also called them about a 400 f/5.6 APO lens that needed a new chip, but they could not help me because Sigma was not updating the chip for that lens.

I have been favourably impressed with Gentec for giving good service and being quite fair. I hope you have a good experience too.

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 22, 2010 14:12 |  #3

Anyone have any experience with Gentec regarding email? I sent them one with a general outline of the problems I am having with two EX lenses December 28th 2009 and have heard nothing back so I just fired off the same email. Has this been anybody else's experience?

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

shaolinmonk
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 22, 2010 15:42 as a reply to  @ ions's post |  #4

just called them up myself.. seemed to be very nice, extremely easy going.. gonna be dropping off my sigma 30 for them to check out...

shaolinmonk
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 10, 2010 07:46 as a reply to  @ shaolinmonk's post |  #5

got my 30mm serviced took about 2 weeks.. including shipping.. pretty fast i'd say..

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 10, 2010 11:30 |  #6

I dropped 2 lenses off on a Monday morning, I was told there would be a 48 hour turnaround, they weren't ready until Friday afternoon. I think a call enquiring their status early Friday afternoon spurred them on a bit. I didn't mind cause it worked with my schedule. That aside they were very courteous and the repair, so far as I can tell, appears to be great. Oh, when I dropped the lenses off the tech estimated that both lenses would be about $100, one got a free PCB upgrade, was adjusted and cleaned free of charge.

If you're going in person payment is by Visa or cash only.

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

kay188
825 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 10, 2010 12:12 |  #7

Doing a walk in is better than calling.

I have a 24-70 macro, and no receipt. My box does have the original sticker from the store.
Called them, they said no warranty.
Walking in, dealing with the guy who has taken care of me and my 70-200, explained to him my problem, and he said he'll take care of me because if doesn't want to give me any hassle.

Turns out my lens an american lens, imported by a store that's authorized to sell Sigma lenses.

He made the original owner pay for the repair. I'm the 3rd owner as far as I know.

Ask for David Rees. Very understanding, and nice guy.

Remember. Don't call. Walk in is better.

Ricoh GRD4 | Canon 1Ds, 1D, 1D2, 1D2n| Canon XTi | Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 | Canon 16-35L I | Canon 24 F/2.8 | Canon 35 F/2 | Canon 50 F/1.8 I | Canon 135L | Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro | Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 APO EX DG | Sigma 30 F/1.4 |Sigma 50 F/1.4 |Sigma & Kenko 1.4x TC| Canon 580EX II | Sigma EF-500 Super | 2x Vivitar 285HV | RF-602 Triggers |

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 10, 2010 12:19 |  #8

It was David Rees I dealt with. Really nice guy.

flickr (external link)

3ntreri
412 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 10, 2010 12:30 |  #9

ScottE wrote in post #3367904 (external link)
I have had to send my 105 macro in twice to have the chip replaced

What was wrong with your 105 Macro?

Dave delgadophoto.ca (external link) :: Blog (external link) :: Twitter (external link) :: 500px (external link)
2 * Sony α7 III | 24-70mm ƒ2.8 GM | 70-200mm ƒ2.8 GM | Σ35mm ƒ1.4 Art | 90mm ƒ2.8 G Macro | Samyang 135mm ƒ2.0
2 * Godox V860II-S | 2 * Godox AD600 Pro | 2 * Godox AD600 II BM | Epson Pro 3880

sponsored links

1,724 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canadians, please share your Sigma repair experience
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.