Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 07 Dec 2009 (Monday) 03:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My experiments in IR

tsk1979
247 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 07, 2009 03:17 |  #1

I started off with buying the cheap filters from EBAY.
I intended to get the 720nm equivalent, but instead got a 850nm equiv which actually does not give any false color.
Later I got another which was actually the 690nm, or dark red filter.
Finally I was able to lay my hands on a filter closer to 720.

The shot below is from 350D(stock) + 50mm 1.8 lens. I cannot use the 18-55 non IS lens which is kit lens due to hot spot issues.
So my landscapes are limited to 50mm.
Guess when I upgrade my lens collection to include the Tokina 11-16 F2.8, I will be able to do wide angle IR.
Till then, here are a couple

IMAGE: http://tanveer.smugmug.com/Travel/Kesroli-Alwar-Sariska/IMG9568finalnohue/515163421_LJFkG-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://tanveer.smugmug.com/Travel/Kesroli-Alwar-Sariska/IMG9703finalbw/515159145_78RMu-L.jpg

Gallery (external link), Homepage (external link), Journal (external link)
Smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
Cobra351
Goldmember
2,996 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Dec 07, 2009 13:06 |  #2

Looks like a good start to shooting IR. Careful though, it can be very addictive! :cool:

Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 40D - Infrared Modified (www.lifepixel.com (external link))
Canon Lenses: 17-40, 24-105 f/4 IS, 100 2.8 IS Macro, TS-E 90, 70-200 f/4 IS, 100-400 IS
Canon EF25 II , EF 1.4x II

Smith & Wesson M&P 340CT .357 Magnum

FelixDeSouze
829 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 08, 2009 05:31 |  #3

Nice images! I like.. Is the IR a filter??

Canon EOS 6D| Canon 50mm f/1.8 MkII | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM II [COLOR="red"]
..lots of other bits and bobs..
Flickr (external link)
Darren Wirth Photography (external link)

ViciousCircle
284 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 08, 2009 14:57 |  #4

FelixDeSouze wrote in post #9156316 (external link)
Nice images! I like.. Is the IR a filter??

I'm guessing he is using a modded camera.

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 08, 2009 16:32 |  #5

ViciousCircle wrote in post #9159273 (external link)

It says stock body... Super long exposure?

I'd love to have a IR modded body. IR and high contrast (Tech Pan) were my favorite films to shoot w/ 35mm film.

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

FelixDeSouze
829 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 08, 2009 17:08 |  #6

Oh! So is it a hard mod or a software mod??

Canon EOS 6D| Canon 50mm f/1.8 MkII | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM II [COLOR="red"]
Flickr (external link)

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 08, 2009 17:20 |  #7

FelixDeSouze wrote in post #9160060 (external link)

There is no software mod (aside from PP tricks that don't really give you the IR look). There is a IR filter in digital bodies. The mod removes the IR cutoff filter and replaces it with one that doesn't block IR. The quality of the resulting IR photos depends on the camera sensor. Some do better than others. Once it is modded it will only really work as an IR camera unless modded back.

I've also heard of using a Red filter and getting IR shots with extreme exposure times with certain DSLRs.

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

FelixDeSouze
829 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 08, 2009 17:24 |  #8

Oh I see.. Seems a little bit over done to do your camera and make it only IR.. Obviously if you have an old camera you can use then it won't be too bad.. Nice images tho!!

Flickr (external link)

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 08, 2009 18:09 |  #9

So let me get this straight: You are capturing, infrared light that the human eye cannot see, right? And did you desaturate to get black and white, or is that what infrared looks like?

I'm actually teaching a unit on light (elementary school) and telling the kids that most light is invisible to the human eye.

I'm curious.

Thank you. bw!

tsk1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
247 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 09, 2009 00:57 |  #10

ViciousCircle wrote in post #9159273 (external link)

StimpyJCat wrote in post #9159838 (external link)

I'd love to have a IR modded body. IR and high contrast (Tech Pan) were my favorite films to shoot w/ 35mm film.

Yes, I did not modify my camera. It was a 2 second exposure in bright sunlight. Normally the shutter speed I get in such light would be 1/2000 or something

FelixDeSouze wrote in post #9160060 (external link)

Well no software mod except white balance. I did not even desaturate!

FelixDeSouze wrote in post #9160138 (external link)
Oh I see.. Seems a little bit over done to do your camera and make it only IR.. Obviously if you have an old camera you can use then it won't be too bad.. Nice images tho!!

Nope, I did not do anything to the camera!

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #9160413 (external link)
So let me get this straight: You are capturing, infrared light that the human eye cannot see, right? And did you desaturate to get black and white, or is that what infrared looks like?

I'm actually teaching a unit on light (elementary school) and telling the kids that most light is invisible to the human eye.

I'm curious.

Well I did not do any desaturation. The images are actually color images, but at that end of the spectrum, when looked at RAW, the images look pink/red. Set white balance on the leaves of trees, and the entire image goes to B&W.
However if I use a 720nm filter(which I found was actually a 690nm or 700nm) I get vivid strange colors, here are a few samples

IMAGE: http://tanveer.smugmug.com/Travel/Himalayas/Manali-Rohtang-May-2009/IMG9768/533058935_HCwh4-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://tanveer.smugmug.com/Travel/Himalayas/Manali-Rohtang-May-2009/IMG9851/533925423_geSaj-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://tanveer.smugmug.com/Travel/Himalayas/Manali-Rohtang-May-2009/IMG9854/533926237_D9Hq9-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://tanveer.smugmug.com/Travel/Himalayas/Manali-Rohtang-May-2009/IMG9861/533916955_vTzVB-L.jpg

Gallery (external link), Homepage (external link), Journal (external link)
Smugmug (external link)

pantherphotos
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 20, 2010 08:15 |  #11

tsk1979 wrote in post #9162509 (external link)
The images are actually color images, but at that end of the spectrum, when looked at RAW, the images look pink/red. Set white balance on the leaves of trees, and the entire image goes to B&W.

I have a Hoya R72 IR filter that I started to play around with yesterday. All of my images are pink/red. Do I set the WB on the leaves of trees before, or after, I take the IR image? I shoot in RAW, so should I take an IR image, then in DPP, use the dropper to set the WB off of tree leaves? Thanks for the help, just trying to figure it out. :D

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/ (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,151 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 21, 2010 07:31 |  #12

tsk1979 wrote in post #9149267 (external link)
I started off with buying the cheap filters from EBAY.

Sad. You have no idea how many people I run across that get ripped off by the cheap IR filters sold on ebay that are just red pieces of glass. If anybody is interested in IR, get a good filter from a good vendor. Don't get ebay-ripped like so many others have

StimpyJCat wrote in post #9159838 (external link)

I'd love to have a IR modded body.

Then watch the ads here! Sometime in Feb. I'll probably be putting a modded 20D (Lifepixel) up for sale.

Website (external link) |

proinwv
94 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 21, 2010 20:43 |  #13

Your images look like the IR I have done using Kodak HIE and a B+W 092 filter, which is opaque to natural light. You have an excellent representation of IR as shot on that film.

However, your digital technique to get there has me somewhat confused. Would you kindly spell it out for my old mind.

Thanks

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 22, 2010 21:18 |  #14

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #9160413 (external link)

Forum sidetrack in 3..2..1...
When I taught light and energy, I picked up a black light and a heat lamp to show the opposite ends of the spectrum- infrared= "In front of red" and ultraviolet= "after violet" in the rainbow. The kids loved it when I gave them a piece of plain white paper to color a picture on and then turned the blacklight on it. Highlighters are fun with blacklights too.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

sponsored links

3,331 views & 0 likes for this thread
My experiments in IR
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.