Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Jan 2010 (Tuesday) 03:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please help me choose new lenses for a wedding.

NJ.Murphy
91 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 19, 2010 14:04 |  #31

egordon99 wrote in post #9426165 (external link)
You're going to be photographing your OWN wedding??????????????

I wonder how he's going to pull this off, myself. Without a tripod, those wedding pictures are going to look awfully strange without a groom.

Get a tripod. Get a flash. Deal with the kit lens.

Hire a pro.

Talking Pictures (external link)

sponsored links
mido
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 19, 2010 17:58 as a reply to  @ NJ.Murphy's post |  #32

Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate it.
After reading all your comments and some reviews etc., I have decided to sell my 17-85 4-5.6 IS USM (+some filers and hood) and buy the Canon 17-55 2.8 IS USM or maybe even a real Lens - Canon 24-70 2.8 L USM (no IS ? :confused: ).

I have a tripod so no worries.

As I have said before my wedding is going to be very cheap. Just the ceremony in church and some dinner + cake in a community hall near by. I'm planing on taking just few pictures. Some in a church at the altar, few outside of church with the family (about 30 ppl), + few more and a lot at the honeymoon. My camera + the lenses business will probably cost more than the whole wedding (excluding the honeymoon :lol: ). We don't have much money and this is our last chance to buy a camera for the next few years.

We are young and we have to earn money for everything ourselves. We would rather spend more on a new home, furniture, etc., the honeymoon or the camera (that is going to serve us for long years) than on a 'perfect' wedding. For her it is just a spiritual thing and for me nothing really... just some paperwork. We are together for 7 years now, so really nothing big is going to change.

We know what we are doing so please don't say to me that you wouldn't shoot own wedding. Don't get me wrong but reading the same comment on every 2nd post is bit annoying when I have asked just for a lens advise.

And again thank you all for your opinions.

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 19, 2010 20:52 |  #33

mido wrote in post #9428517 (external link)
We know what we are doing so please don't say to me that you wouldn't shoot own wedding. Don't get me wrong but reading the same comment on every 2nd post is bit annoying when I have asked just for a lens advise.

And again thank you all for your opinions.

That's what it all is! Opinions! ............... you shouldn't get upset, but who am I to say what you should or shouldn't do. You're just not going to get "the typical" wedding shots by doing it yourself, it's a bad idea, that's all whether it annoys you or not, we all have good intentions, don't take it wrong.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

mido
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 20, 2010 03:50 |  #34

enrigonz wrote in post #9429691 (external link)
That's what it all is! Opinions! ............... you shouldn't get upset, but who am I to say what you should or shouldn't do. You're just not going to get "the typical" wedding shots by doing it yourself, it's a bad idea, that's all whether it annoys you or not, we all have good intentions, don't take it wrong.

I'm not upset. I have just make my mind up. I understand this isn't the Best idea to shoot our own wedding, but it works for us.

Any comments on the 17-55 vs 24-70 matter?

Retouch ­ UK
224 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 20, 2010 03:58 |  #35

mido wrote in post #9431646 (external link)
I'm not upset. I have just make my mind up. I understand this isn't the Best idea to shoot our own wedding, but it works for us.

I have had both lenses in the past. Definitely the 17-55 on a crop body though.

Chris

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 20, 2010 06:19 |  #36

You can get a good used 17-55 for £550-£600

That's what you really need, just buy it secondhand, use it and sell it.

You'll be able to get all your money back.

There really isn't anything to add, apart from a fast prime but with 2.8 and IS, you have your low light lens in the 17-55 too.

Chris Giles Photography

mido
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 20, 2010 06:36 |  #37

Gel wrote in post #9432023 (external link)
That's what you really need, just buy it secondhand, use it and sell it.

You'll be able to get all your money back.

Why would I want to sell it if it is better than my kit lens. :confused:

Retouch ­ UK
224 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 20, 2010 06:41 |  #38

mido wrote in post #9432088 (external link)
Why would I want to sell it if it is better than my kit lens. :confused:

lol, He means later if/when you decide to upgrade

mido
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 20, 2010 06:50 |  #39

Retouch UK wrote in post #9432095 (external link)
lol, He means later if/when you decide to upgrade

Oh... that makes more sense :P

elysium
"full of stupid banter"
11,619 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: Harrow/London/UK/GB/That Part Of The World/Next To France

Jan 20, 2010 06:53 |  #40

If Tamron still have the 17-50 2.8, I would go for that and ditch the kit lens.

Then since you have 50mm covered, fork out for the 85mm 1.8 and at minimum, a 430EX (II).

Just need to check with the church prior to shooting about allowing flash as some do not.

The 85mm is great in low light, heres a little vid (slightly different location than you mentioned) but its purpose seems to fit into what you are looking for.

http://clarity-rebirth.co.uk/dr/ (external link)

Everyday, a programmer finds a way of creating an idiotproof program. Everyday, the universe spits out another idiot.....So far, the universe if winning

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 20, 2010 06:58 |  #41
bannedPermanently

Think you should hire a photographer.

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 20, 2010 07:44 |  #42

mido wrote in post #9431646 (external link)

The Canon 17-55 is $1000 and the 24-70L is $1300. I would not buy a non-L glass lens for $1000 if you put a gun to my head, those that own this lens will probably burn me to the ground for saying this and I know the lens is "almost" as good as an L lens but "almost" just isn't good enough when you spend that kind of money. Definitely the 24-70L, hands down, it will last you a lifetime.

Look into the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 ($500) or 28-75mm 2.8 ($400), they sell for half the price of the Canon 17-55, you get just as good results and leaves you money for a Flash unit such as the 430XE or the 580XE. As others perhaps already mentioned you can always rent any of these lenses and that way you try before you buy, but I doubt you'll want anything else after renting a 24-70L.

Make sure to share some of those pictures with us! Good luck!

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

mido
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 20, 2010 09:26 |  #43

enrigonz wrote in post #9432324 (external link)
The Canon 17-55 is $1000 and the 24-70L is $1300. I would not buy a non-L glass lens for $1000 if you put a gun to my head, those that own this lens will probably burn me to the ground for saying this and I know the lens is "almost" as good as an L lens but "almost" just isn't good enough when you spend that kind of money. Definitely the 24-70L, hands down, it will last you a lifetime.

Look into the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 ($500) or 28-75mm 2.8 ($400), they sell for half the price of the Canon 17-55, you get just as good results and leaves you money for a Flash unit such as the 430XE or the 580XE. As others perhaps already mentioned you can always rent any of these lenses and that way you try before you buy, but I doubt you'll want anything else after renting a 24-70L.

Make sure to share some of those pictures with us! Good luck!

Yes, I was thinking the same.
The 17-55 costs £700-800 and 24-70 L costs £850-950.

I was almost convinced to buy the 24-70, but then I remembered that I'm going to get some nice landscapes on my honeymoon. And with the 24-70 on a crop body I would be kinda forced to get the 10-22 also.

So I think I will buy used 17-55 and when I collect some more money I will sell it and buy the 24-70 and 10-22 :lol:

Does it sounds like a good idea?

I'm only worried about 17-55's dust problems :(

P.S. Do I have any chance on selling my 17-85 f/4.0-5.6 IS USM? I also have the hood for it and two Hoya filters - green polarizing and grey UV. It comes from the kit so no box. I didn't unpack my camera (for good) yet as I'm waiting for a camera bag (I'm really scared of dust on my lenses). I shot just few pics.

mido
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 23, 2010 07:09 as a reply to  @ mido's post |  #44

I hate myself :confused:

I have ordered new 'gear' and I went way over my 'budget'.

I have bought:

• 17-55 2.8 + Hoya UV(N) filter to protect the lens (from dust mainly) + 'not Canon' EW-83J hood
  • 580EX II + RS-602 + diffuser
  • 'Not Canon' BG-E2N Grip + 'not Canon' BP-511A batteries
  • Shoot through umbrella + stand + holder
  • Bounce reflector

This is going to be fun :lol:

I hope my skills wont grow to fast for the next year or so :rolleyes:

If I manage to sell my kit lens then it actually wont be that bad.

Thank you all guys for your contribution to this thread! And I hope I wont be writing in this sub-forums for a long time!

See you around.

gsspirit
116 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 23, 2010 18:37 as a reply to  @ mido's post |  #45

For what it's worth I think the 17-55 was the right choice because in my opinion 24mm on a crop is not wide enough. I have made it work with mine but 75% of the pics are at 24mm which makes it obvious that I want more. I plan on ending up with a FF in the near future is how I ended up buying a 24-70.

You could post a local ad for a photography student or aspiring wedding photographer to help, It couldn't hurt. I think this is not going to work out well as you being the photographer both with the pics that you would end up with (you not being in them) and all of the time spent with you playing around with a camera instead of spending it with your new wife. You did score some cool gear though.

5DII, 5Dc, 24-70L, 35L, 70-200L IS mkII and some lighting gear

sponsored links

3,960 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please help me choose new lenses for a wedding.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.