Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 00:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Calumet Genesis 400 2-Light Kit - Few Questions On it !

brownbugger
941 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 13, 2010 00:00 |  #1

Im a beginner at lights , this is my first system.

Ive decided to go in for Calumet Genesis 400 2-Light Kit &
Calumet Genesis 400 Soft Box Kit . ( I will have 2x 400 with umbrella & 1 400 softbox) Ive a few questions about it though.

1] Portable power , I would be doing some outdoors where I would need portable power.

2] Wireless flash control , which wireless flash control will be the best for this system.

3] What else could i get , Ive zeroed in on a 40" reflector , 10X12 backdrop with support.

Im also toying with the idea to get the 200 2-light kit & 400 1-light softbox kit to push the cost down.

Gripped Canon 50D, Canon 400D with BG-E3 Grip, 580 EXII Flash, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L , Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L / Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 /Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 / Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD

sponsored links
alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 13, 2010 00:09 |  #2

I have the same lights exactly! You'll love them!

1) As far as I know from scouring the forums there is no reliable portable power for these lights. I read where someone used a single 200w unit with a Vagabond from Alien Bees with success. I haven't seen any reliable info for the 400w units.

2)NOT CYBERSYNCS! They are hit and miss with Genesis lights and neither Calumet or Alien Bees folks know why. There is an incompatibility. They will work with some Genesis lights and not others. I would suggest Skyports. Haven't had a single problem with those since I got them.

3) It's not so much what you can get as what you need. That would depend on what you're primarily shooting.

Name's Andy! :)
Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)
asheltonphoto.com (external link)

slivr
627 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 13, 2010 01:06 |  #3

Hi, Bugger -
I ultimately added a 3rd party, medium size (3'x4') rectangular softbox to my Genesis kits, then a 22" Speedotron beauty dish (attaching an Elinchrom ring to it), and finally a 5' octabox. That, together with the original kit's reflectors and umbrellas provide a great variety of modifiers for differing light characteristics regardless what I need to shoot. Very happy with all of it. The last purchase was an Elinchrom wide-angle umbrella reflector for improved coverage when shooting intp the Calumet umbrellas.

I chose not to purchase the Calumet softbox kit believing it was a bit too small for some of my work, so the larger 3'x4' was a must-have for me and the first modifier I added. I also enjoy using the beauty dish as well, though I've still got much to learn using it. Fun to work with though, and it produces interesting light for close-in work.

- Jason S.
More gear and money than talent ... but workin' at it!

duckiller01
506 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 23, 2010 20:31 as a reply to  @ slivr's post |  #4

I too am looking for a sort of "battery pack" for my Genesis 400 kit. When speaking to the guys at Calumet... they simply say you cant but dont go into any details. I did get "you need to purchase our Travelite Kit" from one of them last time I was shopping.

My question is is simple. Why cant we use a Vegabond I or II?

The Vegabond II can power up to 6-8 110v flash units... why not a Genesis 400 2-Light Kit (with modeling lights off)?

5DMKIII ll 35L ll 24-70L ll 70-200L II ll 2x TC ll 1.4x TC ll 580EXII

111t
577 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 23, 2010 20:38 |  #5

I can speak to the slave question. Cybersync csrb battery powered receivers work well with the 400's. I'm sure others do as well. I DO NOT recommend the calumet 4 channel trigger. I have heard that there are compatibility issues with the AC powered cybersyncs and the genesis 400's. My company uses literally hundreds of genesis 400's with the csrb's. (the ones that take the AA batteries)

All The best!
-Paul

WHAT TO DO IF YOU DON"T HAVE A LIGHT METER AND YOU STILL WANT TO MAKE INTELLIGENT EXPOSURE DECISIONS.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 23, 2010 20:53 |  #6

brownbugger wrote in post #9383120 (external link)
Im a beginner at lights , this is my first system.

Ive decided to go in for Calumet Genesis 400 2-Light Kit &
Calumet Genesis 400 Soft Box Kit . ( I will have 2x 400 with umbrella & 1 400 softbox) Ive a few questions about it though.

1] Portable power , I would be doing some outdoors where I would need portable power.

2] Wireless flash control , which wireless flash control will be the best for this system.

3] What else could i get , Ive zeroed in on a 40" reflector , 10X12 backdrop with support.

Im also toying with the idea to get the 200 2-light kit & 400 1-light softbox kit to push the cost down.

Congratulations on your purchase. I think you'll like the Genesis lights very much. In terms of portable power there is the Paul Buff Vagabond II and the Innovatronix Explorer XT SE.

I believe I saw someone mentioning a problem or issue with the Genesis and Vagabond but I can't recall if it was resolved. Unfortunately Paul Buff does not support third party strobes so it's impossible to get him to discuss compatibility.

The Innovatronix Explorer XT SE works well with Genesis lights but unfortunately it's about $50 more, the carrying bag is optional and the shipping is $45 since it's coming from the Philippines.

You can see the XT and product desctiption here:

http://www.innovatroni​x.com/prodindex.asp?of​fset=10 (external link)

There is a link to the compatibility chart and you'll see the Genesis lights showing compatibility with the XT SE but not the XT. I asked Glen at Innovatronix why the 200's are listed and not the 400's and he said that there should be no problem but they won't list lights as compatible if they haven't tested them all and as much as we'd love to see every strobe listed it's a bit much to expect that they would buy a copy of every light out there to test. I'll bug Glen to see if he can give me a more conclusive answer on the 400's.

This the order form for the XT SE. It's not listed in the product list but it's simply a modified version of the XT that will accommodate multi-voltage strobes such as the Genesis lights.

http://www.innovatroni​x.com/explorerXT.asp (external link)

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 23, 2010 20:55 |  #7

For portable power the Innovatronix Explorer XT-SE is designed to work with multivoltage strobes like the Genesis, Elinchrom BXri http://www.innovatroni​x.com/explorerxt.asp (external link)

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 23, 2010 20:56 |  #8

Damn it Rob you beat me to it :)

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 23, 2010 21:03 |  #9

Damian75 wrote in post #9457132 (external link)
Damn it Rob you beat me to it :)

I tend to do that Mark.. lololol

Robert

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 23, 2010 21:07 |  #10

duckiller01 wrote in post #9457016 (external link)
I too am looking for a sort of "battery pack" for my Genesis 400 kit. When speaking to the guys at Calumet... they simply say you cant but dont go into any details. I did get "you need to purchase our Travelite Kit" from one of them last time I was shopping.

My question is is simple. Why cant we use a Vegabond I or II?

The Vegabond II can power up to 6-8 110v flash units... why not a Genesis 400 2-Light Kit (with modeling lights off)?

The problem is with multi-voltage strobes. It causes some glitching and the power relays flip. There was a design change to the Vagabond but we (members of this forum that discuss portable power a lot) have yet to get any confirmation from anyone about compatibility with the Genesis 400's. When I had a Vagabond I could power two 200 Watt seconds or one 400 Watt second multi-voltage strobe but as soon as I went past 400 Watt seconds the glitching began.

Robert

jkokbaker
554 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 24, 2010 11:27 |  #11

brownbugger, have you got the lights yet? I ordered some and I was told that it would be 2 to 6 weeks before they shipped?

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

spesmeadeus
987 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 24, 2010 11:35 |  #12

jkokbaker wrote in post #9460278 (external link)
brownbugger, have you got the lights yet? I ordered some and I was told that it would be 2 to 6 weeks before they shipped?

I ordered alien bees partly because they said they were on back order until March and then he said he wasn't sure when in march and i needed them before this, so if time is a factor check and make sure when they think they will be shipping out

How does focal length affect portraits? (external link)
| Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) |

eightball
42 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 24, 2010 17:35 as a reply to  @ spesmeadeus's post |  #13

I ordered the Genesis 200 two light set on Jan 14th after being told on the 13th that it would be approximately 4 weeks to shipment. To my surprise, they showed up on my doorsteps last Friday (22nd) with no tracking information from Calumet (even logged into their site a couple of times to check on them as I was excited over the sale price purchase:D). They were shipped from their San Francisco location and I'm in NC. All locations still show "call for availability". Don't know if I just got lucky, but you may get earlier than what they are telling everyone.

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 24, 2010 17:44 as a reply to  @ eightball's post |  #14

Just to clear up a few misconceptions here...I use AB800's and Calumets 200 and 400 Genesis lights on almost a daily basis...

First off, the Vagabond II works just fine for powering the Genesis lights...both 200 and 400's. They do take longer to charge vs a comparable AB...ive ran 2 Genesis 400's and a AB800 of a single Vagabond II and it worked fine.

Cybersyncs work just fine with both the 200 and 400's. Never had an issue with them nor has anyone else i shoot with(quite a few Genesis owners).

Honestly, if you dont need the 400ws, get the 200's and save yourself some coin to use on a good set of modifiers. Even for a medium sized studio, i find the 200's more than enough power, even with large soft boxes or other power sucking modifiers...they work well even in full sunlight, modifier depending.

Nobody cares about your gear list...

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 24, 2010 17:53 |  #15

Jeffro250 wrote in post #9462426 (external link)
Just to clear up a few misconceptions here...I use AB800's and Calumets 200 and 400 Genesis lights on almost a daily basis...

First off, the Vagabond II works just fine for powering the Genesis lights...both 200 and 400's. They do take longer to charge vs a comparable AB...ive ran 2 Genesis 400's and a AB800 of a single Vagabond II and it worked fine.

Cybersyncs work just fine with both the 200 and 400's. Never had an issue with them nor has anyone else i shoot with(quite a few Genesis owners).

Honestly, if you dont need the 400ws, get the 200's and save yourself some coin to use on a good set of modifiers. Even for a medium sized studio, i find the 200's more than enough power, even with large soft boxes or other power sucking modifiers...they work well even in full sunlight, modifier depending.

That's great. Thank you for posting and giving us the facts. We've been speculating without anything to go on so this is good to know. Are you popping both 400's at full power? Sometimes there are issues that only reveal themselves at full power or close to it.

Robert

sponsored links

8,332 views & 0 likes for this thread
Calumet Genesis 400 2-Light Kit - Few Questions On it !
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.