Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 10:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there any kind of photography that you don't "care for"?

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 24, 2010 12:44 |  #16

I find sports photography boring in general - unless it is someone I know. Also basic studio photography all seem staged and fake (because it is!) so not very interesting for me to look at.

Good thing there are so many types of photos. It would be pretty boring if we all had the same style and interests.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

sponsored links
Sam
Goldmember
4,044 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 24, 2010 13:04 |  #17

I really don't think there is any type of photography I don't like. I used to not like kid portraits, then I had two of my own.

I get bored of cliche shots but it doesn't turn me off of whatever genre it belongs to.

Karl Johnston wrote in post #9460126 (external link)
Newborn pictures....I often worry that I won't make a cool enough dad one day so the thought of having kids now terrifies me. Ever see some guys with their kids? They're like dyanmo dads with endless amounts of energy. I can't even find the energy to start the car in the morning.

I think a lot of guys feel that way.

At least I hope I didn't just shed my soul there. . .

This post is getting more awkward by the line. .. ...

DStanic wrote in post #9460293 (external link)
I feel that way and I don't even have kids [yet] :o

I felt the same way until my daughter was born. I think it's natures way of making sure we take care of our young? I don't think I am superdad but my kids are two of my best friends now.

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 24, 2010 13:05 |  #18

Wilt wrote in post #9460555 (external link)
Let me guess...you shot a photo of a gal who happened to be with her SO, and you were accused of being a pervert and shooting pictures of her butt, and her SO came to her defense! ;):lol:

No---that would almost be understandable. While taking photo's of Christmas decorations and street performers in Tempe, AZ, with the AZ POTN group, a little sawed-off hippie told us we didn't have permission to take pictures. When I replied that it was public property, he said, "Yeah, and I'm Public". I gave him credit for his witty retort and moved on without incident, but he was pissed. On the way home from purchasing a 50 1.4, I was testing the focus while stopped at a light when I heard someone scream, "HEY- WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!" In the general direction of where I was testing focus, a homeless vagrant was sleeping on a bus stop bench. He jumped up and ran through three lanes of traffic straight to my car. I rolled up my window just in time for him to start beating on it and fortunately the light turned and I left without incident. Moral of the story: Some people are REAL paranoid about cameras. I would rather take photos of someone paying me to do so.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 24, 2010 13:08 |  #19

I don't like the type of photography that has been so heavily manipulated but still called photography instead of digital artwork.

Most of the images in see in "Rangefinder" are of that type and it bothers me when they win photographer of the year and the image is so clearly been photoshopped beyond original recognition.

Call it digital artwork at that point.
I don't mind photoshopping pictures, post processing is part of photographer from the original slow developed piece of film to today's 1Dsmk3 images. but when you have to spend hours in photoshop to make that image you want. its not not photography anymore.

I'd rather spend hours going to a location over and over to get that perfect moment in time captured then spend it in front of my computer.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 24, 2010 13:16 |  #20

Water drops and smoke for me...

Probably kind of indifferent to sports photography too. I definitely respect the effort that goes into it, but for some reason it rarely keeps my interest.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,300 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 24, 2010 13:16 |  #21

irishman wrote in post #9460831 (external link)
No---that would almost be understandable. While taking photo's of Christmas decorations and street performers in Tempe, AZ, with the AZ POTN group, a little sawed-off hippie told us we didn't have permission to take pictures. When I replied that it was public property, he said, "Yeah, and I'm Public". I gave him credit for his witty retort and moved on without incident, but he was pissed. On the way home from purchasing a 50 1.4, I was testing the focus while stopped at a light when I heard someone scream, "HEY- WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!" In the general direction of where I was testing focus, a homeless vagrant was sleeping on a bus stop bench. He jumped up and ran through three lanes of traffic straight to my car. I rolled up my window just in time for him to start beating on it and fortunately the light turned and I left without incident. Moral of the story: Some people are REAL paranoid about cameras. I would rather take photos of someone paying me to do so.

Moral of the story is that many, many people who live in the streets are known to be mentally disturbed individuals.

"I may not have permission to USE your photos commercially, but I have every permission to take photos of people in public, under the law. Would you like a policeman to come in to settle my rights? I'd be happy to find one for you.", should have been the retort to the hippie.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,300 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 24, 2010 13:22 |  #22

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #9460842 (external link)
Call it digital artwork at that point.
I don't mind photoshopping pictures, post processing is part of photographer from the original slow developed piece of film to today's 1Dsmk3 images. but when you have to spend hours in photoshop to make that image you want. its not not photography anymore.

Often debated topic. Ask yourself...What difference is there, if someone shot on film and spent hours in the darkroom, to achieve an end result?! Is digital manipulation different than darkroom manipulation? (I know, digital permits far more radical changes like removing people or things from the scene, or adding them in.)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 24, 2010 13:29 |  #23

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #9460842 (external link)
I don't like the type of photography that has been so heavily manipulated but still called photography instead of digital artwork.

Agreed. It's something other than photography to me, including overdone HDR.

Hmmm photography I don't care for?

• Wedding. Because I hate weddings. Not the idea, but the performance. Stressful and contrived. An exotic beach, less than 10 people, a half hour and a couple pics. Done. And far more romantic to me.
  • Most studio model stuff. Too contrived for me. Set up the flashes, the various reflectors, the makeup, the outfits, the scene, the boredom and then the contrivance is captured. Then all the post-processing usually involved removing the remnants of reality. Some of it looks pretty cool then I remember all the hoops that are jumped through for the result and and it's considerably less interesting to me. Available light portrait is more interesting to me by far. That said I do enjoy going through the G&N section anyway... :D
  • Most sports. For some reason it doesn't grab me. Even hockey, which is a sport I like. All sports but auto racing, that photography I like.

I want to include kids/babies but I can see how that would be interesting if I had my own.

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 24, 2010 13:30 |  #24

Agree with Wilt ^^^. Also if you stage a scene to photograph, is that real? If the model poses or you add in props, etc? What if you crop a photo or alter the WB so it looks better? What if you used a picture style in camera? It's a fine line.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

reddyroc007
809 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 24, 2010 13:45 |  #25

when i got my zoom lens i went to the airport and shot pics of the airplanes flying overhead. i found this extremely boring when going over my pictures later. catching them landing as they hit the tarmac is a different story but an airplane against a plain blue sky, not my cup of tea. not interesting. i realize some people are big into airplanes in general i prefer action shots and interesting aircraft, not passenger planes. my 2cents.

chris :cool:
gear: 450D w/kung-fu grip, 18-55mm IS, 50mm 1.8, 100-300L, 24-70L, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 580EXII
flickr (external link)

Jigglypuff
101 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 24, 2010 13:51 |  #26

Anything HDR. It all looks so fake to me

Sam
Goldmember
4,044 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 24, 2010 13:58 |  #27

reddyroc007 wrote in post #9461045 (external link)
when i got my zoom lens i went to the airport and shot pics of the airplanes flying overhead. i found this extremely boring when going over my pictures later. catching them landing as they hit the tarmac is a different story but an airplane against a plain blue sky, not my cup of tea. not interesting. i realize some people are big into airplanes in general i prefer action shots and interesting aircraft, not passenger planes. my 2cents.

Check out this guy's stuff. I agree about not liking airplane shots in general. My step dad was in the Navy and we went to TONS of air shows all over the place growing up so I have seen my share of planes. That said, Jay takes some cool shots.

https://photography-on-the.net …rch.php?searchi​d=15129085

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 24, 2010 14:24 as a reply to  @ Sam's post |  #28

While I appreciate and respect the skill, talent and effort that goes into any type of photography, there are a few types that I have no interest in getting into. Street photography is at the head of my list. I can walk downtown and see homeless, mentally disturbed and/or strung-out people anytime....don't have much desire to document them photographically (and have to deal with their "issues" on a personal level). I'm not much of a "big city" type anyways - don't enjoy crowds, traffic and the hustle-bustle of city life.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

bric-a-brac
520 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 24, 2010 14:58 |  #29

though I've never done it myself, I have a foul distate for those who go about re-photographing others' art and then presenting it as their own under the thinly veiled guise of post-modernism.

watch this video interview (external link) of hardworking commercial photographer Sam Abell as he discusses the appropriation of his work by "photographer" Richard Prince.

"a photograph isn't about what something looks like, but what it's like to look."
50D|35L|other stuff

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 24, 2010 15:40 |  #30

Veemac wrote in post #9461314 (external link)
While I appreciate and respect the skill, talent and effort that goes into any type of photography, there are a few types that I have no interest in getting into. Street photography is at the head of my list. I can walk downtown and see homeless, mentally disturbed and/or strung-out people anytime....don't have much desire to document them photographically (and have to deal with their "issues" on a personal level). I'm not much of a "big city" type anyways - don't enjoy crowds, traffic and the hustle-bustle of city life.

"Street photography" is not synonymous with "photography of the homeless". Personally, I rarely take pictures of the homeless and it is not often the subject of any of the masters that I referenced earlier. For examples:

http://www.magnumphoto​s.com …st&l1=0&XXAPXX=​SubPanel10 (external link)

http://www.flickr.com/​groups/onthestreet/poo​l/ (external link)

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

sponsored links

7,397 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there any kind of photography that you don't "care for"?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.