Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Oct 2009 (Tuesday) 00:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official: Canon 1D Mk IV

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 24, 2010 19:34 |  #2701

Nice one AliAyson quite satisfying when you get a shot that you never managed before, makes it all worth it

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

sponsored links
Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,554 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 24, 2010 19:58 |  #2702

jharms1 wrote in post #9460978 (external link)
I just got my 1D Mark IV last week. Of course, I was doing some experimenting my first time out. Here's one at 12800. I think the noise level was certainly acceptable.

QUOTED IMAGE

f/2.8
1/1600
ISO 12800
AWB
Light pass of Noiseware

It seemed like ISO 5000 was the sweet spot in this gym, however. If I recall correctly, I was able to get a solid 1/800 shutter speed at f/2.8, with relatively low noise. I used to always use off camera flash for indoor sports. This camera may change the game!

Very impressive. I shoot a lot of basketball previously ambient and now with strobes. That is a very nice image for ambient light.

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

AliAyson
257 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 24, 2010 20:26 |  #2703

jharms1 wrote in post #9460978 (external link)
I just got my 1D Mark IV last week. Of course, I was doing some experimenting my first time out. Here's one at 12800. I think the noise level was certainly acceptable.

QUOTED IMAGE

f/2.8
1/1600
ISO 12800
AWB
Light pass of Noiseware

It seemed like ISO 5000 was the sweet spot in this gym, however. If I recall correctly, I was able to get a solid 1/800 shutter speed at f/2.8, with relatively low noise. I used to always use off camera flash for indoor sports. This camera may change the game!

Very nice! Which lens did you use BTW? Your 70-200mm? I've been trying to get some indoor soccer shots using my 70-200 but my results don't look anything like yours. How far away were you from the players? Great looking pic!

michael_
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 24, 2010 23:05 |  #2704

if i can get 6400 that clean i would be extatic

ichael ... (external link)
vettas media (external link) (me) | myGear (all my equipment) | sportshooter (external link) (my sportsshooter member page)

jharms1
198 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 24, 2010 23:08 |  #2705

AliAyson wrote in post #9463536 (external link)
Very nice! Which lens did you use BTW? Your 70-200mm? I've been trying to get some indoor soccer shots using my 70-200 but my results don't look anything like yours. How far away were you from the players? Great looking pic!

Yes, I was using a 70-200mm 2.8L IS lens. I was shooting from just behind the out of bounds line at one end of the gym. I believe that this shot was taken just my side of the mid court line. So, half a basketball court or less away is my best guess.

Are you using the 1D Mark IV? My results using ambient light weren't nearly this good with my 1D Mark III. I typically used strobes in the past. I still think that the strobed shots look a little better than the abient for indoor gym shots...as long as shadows aren't a factor for the particular shot. It will be nice if I can get decent quality shots without the stobes. This gym was lit fairly well. I'm eager to see how the pics look in some of the darker gyms.

:D Canon EOS 1D X & 1D Mark IV
- Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
http://roundrocksportp​hotos.com (external link)

bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 25, 2010 03:28 |  #2706

MaDProFF wrote in post #9462346 (external link)
Heh and an image not what the camera was really build for :) ISO 6400 1/44 f8

I hope you took lots of bread.:D

bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 25, 2010 09:19 |  #2707

Two on Fleabay in the UK for £3900 & £4200

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk …as_JN?hash=item​2a04184249 (external link)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk …as_JN?hash=item​19b9632313 (external link)

AliAyson
257 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 25, 2010 11:52 |  #2708

jharms1 wrote in post #9464594 (external link)
Yes, I was using a 70-200mm 2.8L IS lens. I was shooting from just behind the out of bounds line at one end of the gym. I believe that this shot was taken just my side of the mid court line. So, half a basketball court or less away is my best guess.

Are you using the 1D Mark IV? My results using ambient light weren't nearly this good with my 1D Mark III. I typically used strobes in the past. I still think that the strobed shots look a little better than the abient for indoor gym shots...as long as shadows aren't a factor for the particular shot. It will be nice if I can get decent quality shots without the stobes. This gym was lit fairly well. I'm eager to see how the pics look in some of the darker gyms.

Yes, I'm using a 1D Mark IV. I think my 70-200 might be back-focusing as I've always had problems getting crisp photos when zoomed all the way out. My pre-Mark IV camera was a 1D Mark II so I didn't have the microadjustment feature. I plan to try using microadjust with my 70-200. I want to get the LensAlign system first though as it seems this is the easiest way to test if your lens is back or front focusing. Will take awhile to buy the LensAlign since my bank acount is now dry....

PIXmantra
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 25, 2010 20:49 |  #2709

Well...

drisley wrote in post #9458879 (external link)
Wow, long thread.
Pix are you planning to create a FlexNR for the MkIV? I'm sure you've been asked this plenty.

...This is certainly a possibility.

With respect to the 1D4, this camera needs a bit of maturity in the market, as well as improved collective support.

Also, if we are ever going to enjoy FlexNR on the 1D4, as much as we do on the 1D3, it is imperative that Canon allows us to FULLY DISABLE on-board noise-reduction. Otherwise, we will never be able to tap on the cam's full potential, for speed-centric .JPG worflows.

That is a BIG minus for me, so far, as (in this regard) the 1D3 already delivers the bacon, well done on both sides. Just wait until you see vis-a-vis samples of Imaging Resource reposted-studio-scenes from the 1D3 + FlexNRv2.2, versus (read this) Nikon's state-of-the-art D3s.

I will be paying very close attention to every sample coming out, and always on the lookout for extracting down to the last bit of juice of this camera... :D

Cheers,

PIX

Click here for FlexNR-Professional Noise Reduction for EOS 1D3
CPS Member/ 2x1DMKIII/ 70D/ Pentax MX
300mm f/2.8 L II IS/ 24mm f/1.4 L II/ 35mm f/2.0 IS/ 17-40 f/4 L/ 24-105 f/4 L IS / 70-200 f/4 L IS
270EX/ 580EX/ 580EX II/ ST-E2/ CP-E3
HP Z800 x2 XEON, x12 Core/ EIZO CG241W/ Viewsonic VP930b

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 25, 2010 21:52 |  #2710

Another comparo Here (external link)

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Jan 25, 2010 23:20 |  #2711
bannedPermanent ban

nicksan wrote in post #9471246 (external link)

Wow, it kills the D300 doesn't it. The 7D is worse of course (but not by much). The D3s seems heaps better (that internal NR at work again?). Still it was pretty clean on the edges, so it's doing well. Still the 1DIV seems to do better when you bring it down to 12MP size and do some NR. So it remains to be seen.

Still comparing a FF to a 1.3 crop... come on Canon, bring out the 1DsIV so we can have a fair comparison here. :)

I'm just downloading the 12800 files to do a comparison myself. Seeing as that's the maximum I've ever seriously used. I'll download the 6400 too, seeing as that's a ISO I use often.

dkubek
192 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 25, 2010 23:34 |  #2712

nicksan wrote in post #9471246 (external link)

It's a nice comparison, but don't a lot of the files seem horribly underexposed to you? ---the 100% crops at least. I haven't downloaded the full res samples cause I'm never gonna switch brands, but the exposure just seems off for a "controlled" comparo! Anybody else?

1D Mk IV, 7D, XTi, 100-400L, 400 f/5.6L, 24-105L, 100mm macro, 1.4x TC, bunch of flashes, RRS BH-55, Manfrotto 055CXPro4 tripod x2
www.dkubekphotography.​com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 25, 2010 23:44 |  #2713

dkubek wrote in post #9471839 (external link)
It's a nice comparison, but don't a lot of the files seem horribly underexposed to you? ---the 100% crops at least. I haven't downloaded the full res samples cause I'm never gonna switch brands, but the exposure just seems off for a "controlled" comparo! Anybody else?

Don't think the exposure is off if you look at the entire frame.

I downloaded all the Raw files and while the D3S looks fantastic, with a little more work the MKIV looks great too, perhaps one stop behind however.

But, when you check out the ISO1600-6400 files from the D3S, they are so clean you have to wonder what kind of NR is being applied in-camera. Ther are that clean.

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 25, 2010 23:46 |  #2714

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #9471763 (external link)
Wow, it kills the D300 doesn't it. The 7D is worse of course (but not by much). The D3s seems heaps better (that internal NR at work again?). Still it was pretty clean on the edges, so it's doing well. Still the 1DIV seems to do better when you bring it down to 12MP size and do some NR. So it remains to be seen.

Still comparing a FF to a 1.3 crop... come on Canon, bring out the 1DsIV so we can have a fair comparison here. :)

I'm just downloading the 12800 files to do a comparison myself. Seeing as that's the maximum I've ever seriously used. I'll download the 6400 too, seeing as that's a ISO I use often.

Yeah, they are so clean, you have to wonder about the internal NR. If there is, I like the way the files look. CLEAN!

montanawild
680 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 25, 2010 23:53 |  #2715

I got an email from Adorama today regarding my backordered 1DmkIV.

Basically they just appologized that it still isn't in stock. And I was so excited when I saw the email. What a kick in the nuts. LOL

1DmkIV, 5DmkII, 40Dw/grip
gear list:

http://dehaanphotograp​hy.net (external link)

sponsored links

1,076,483 views & 3 likes for this thread
Official: Canon 1D Mk IV
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.