Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 Jan 2010 (Saturday) 18:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2nd time out

gone_surfing
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 23, 2010 18:37 |  #1

This one of my first photos .

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

sponsored links
getbent
102 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 23, 2010 18:38 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Very nice. I wish it were a little brighter, but I love the guy standing on the beach. Very nice touch.

Living ­ Daylight
387 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 23, 2010 21:35 |  #3

Did you take any more? I would have fired off a lot of shots to experiment with placing the subject in different parts of the frame and including more of or excluding the land to the left.

That said, I like it as is.

Canon XS; Tamron 17-50 IS; Sigma 55-200; Nifty Fifty; 430EX

pixelodeon
33 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 24, 2010 12:08 as a reply to  @ Living Daylight's post |  #4

Love the quiet, reflective tones. Well done - jimmy

hawkskins
232 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 24, 2010 13:55 |  #5

Very peaceful. I like it!

chomish
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 24, 2010 14:00 |  #6

Very nice! I like it alot. Gives the ocean that huge feel to it.

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,329 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jan 24, 2010 14:49 |  #7

Looks like a nice setting. The image is tonally flat (low constrast). Below is the levels histogram. Notice that the tones all fall in the center. It means that your blacks are gray and your whites are, well, gray too. I suggest increasing contrast or sliding the levels sliders to the edges of the tone curve in your photo processing software. If you turn on image editing in your profile it will enable viewers to show you the effects of their suggestions.

Also, the figure is the subject in this image, even if it's small. A center composition like this is not considered engaging to the viewer. try moving it off center.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

gone_surfing
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 24, 2010 16:03 as a reply to  @ joedlh's post |  #8

Thanks for the advice i've played with the tone curve and composition . Is the histogram being bunched up the "Days" fault or is the something i could of done with the camera ?

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4301870978_076f550b4a_o.jpg

ianh
208 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 24, 2010 19:51 |  #9

gone_surfing wrote in post #9461837 (external link)
Thanks for the advice i've played with the tone curve and composition . Is the histogram being bunched up the "Days" fault or is the something i could of done with the camera ?
QUOTED IMAGE

I'm not as much a fan of this one; the original was nicely moody and I think the person being centered was better. Were you going for the rule of thirds? Break that one sometimes... maybe others will disagree with me here. :)

It doesn't feel like a picture that should be bright, instead it should be cloudy and grey, etc, to me. Well, go with what you like.

Now, your clouds are definitely better in this one. There was some gnarly banding in the first.

XSi | kit | nifty
my photoblog (external link)

Living ­ Daylight
387 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 24, 2010 20:09 |  #10

For what it is worth I like the second the best. I also think the house in the left adds to the story of the image.

kaiden
54 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 25, 2010 00:59 |  #11

Uncalled for comment, your thread did not deserver such harsh words and for that, I am extremely sorry... I can not go back and fix my childish behavior; however I do feel my conscience would not be ok without extending an apology. Once again, I hope you can accept my request for forgiveness and forgive the post as it was placed in an unfavorable format.

Canon 7D / 70-200mm 2.8L IS II / 85mm 1.2L / 24mm 1.4L ....

conkeroo
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 25, 2010 04:36 |  #12

kaiden wrote in post #9465023 (external link)
Way to centered and a waste of pixels if you ask me.. You really did not capture anything other than a person on the beach REALLY FAR Away......

Gonna have to disagree here. The image, the man on the beach, the entire shot is telling a story of scale. How we really are insignificant in the face of all powerful natural elements.

As far as the shot, i prefer the first, the tones seem better, the second being way too cool. I agree with a previous poster as well, it doesn't always have to be rule-of-thirds. With the second crop you have the man looking out of the frame as opposed to the grand and spectacular view of nature within the frame, and for me that's why the second crop doesn't work.

The rock/cliff on the left doesn't work because, contextually, it doesn't make any sense. Either have more of it in the frame or crop it out. It'll be more simplistic if you do but that can still work. Straighten the horizon and I would probably even go as far as to clone out the footprints on the beach (if possible!). That would really set a mood of isolation for the subject whilst also getting rid of a slight distraction.

Quick edit:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/images/a​ttach/jpg.gif

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Living ­ Daylight
387 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 25, 2010 05:24 |  #13

kaiden wrote in post #9465023 (external link)
Way to centered and a waste of pixels if you ask me.. You really did not capture anything other than a person on the beach REALLY FAR Away......

That is not a helpful comment. If you have something negative to say try to frame some advice around it.

On another note, I really like the house on the left, it adds to the story for me. Just goes to show that art is subjective.

bkburns
127 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 25, 2010 14:08 |  #14

Nailed. I prefer this edit. Very nice - I FEEL the scale looking at the photo!

www.brianburns.net (external link)
5DM2 | EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 100 f/2.8 | EF 24-70 IS f/2.8L | EF 70-200 f/4L | Adobe LR2 & CS4 on Apple Computers

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 25, 2010 15:31 |  #15

Hey Gone-Surfing. I think with your edit on #2 you have a pretty nice shot now. For me it draws the eye better than centered. Just my 2 cents.

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links

1,718 views & 0 likes for this thread
2nd time out
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.