Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 13 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 21:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Alleyway

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 13, 2010 21:37 |  #1

I like how certain spaces can emote a sense of feeling. I've got the flu and this pretty much sums up my condition right now. Taken on Saturday... probably shouldn't have been outside in the cold for so long.

Thoughts?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links
djvkool
461 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 13, 2010 21:49 |  #2

IMHO...

shonky horizon :) you need to straighten it

now, I think this pic will benefit from about +2/3 EV, there are much more details in the shadow than highlight, so you can afford to lose a bit of details around the sky, but in doing so, you will capture much more details within the shadows :)

7D | 100 2.8L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS | 24-70 2.8L | 50 1.4 | Tam 18-270mm | Tam 17-50 2.8 | Sig 30 1.4 |

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,735 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 13, 2010 22:06 |  #3

Image Editing is welcome, too. The RAW file is here: http://rapidshare.com/​files/334975847/IMG_01​59.CR2 (external link)

Thanks for the comments. I considered the horizon in the far background to be miniscule, so much that it was negligible. The top of the overpass is not straight, but I liked it. The streets here in Boston are anything but level, so I don't usually go for straight lines. What is shonky? I might be misinterpretting what you're saying. How would you straighten it?

+2/3 EV? This photo was taken almost directly from the camera. I modified it slightly by desaturating and blending an omnilight layer to add lighting to the inside of the dark underside of the overpass. However, I like when darkness frames the photo. Here's an adjustment. Masking out the sky, I increased exposure to the darker areas without losing detail to the sky. (Thanks for the advice. I think I like it better):

HOSTED PHOTO

PBeeee
559 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 13, 2010 22:54 |  #4

It just needs a smigden of straightening. Drop the right side. Nice mood, nice work. I think both are okay, I'm not sure your fever fueled work paid off to my eye. Overall a good image.

djvkool
461 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 13, 2010 22:59 |  #5

awesome :)

again, IMHO :) what's left now is to reduce the noise, and a touch of unsharp mask (around radius 1.5 and amount about 30%) - should be perfect now :)

7D | 100 2.8L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS | 24-70 2.8L | 50 1.4 | Tam 18-270mm | Tam 17-50 2.8 | Sig 30 1.4 |

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,735 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 13, 2010 23:05 |  #6

I'm gonna break the rule and not straighten it here. :p Plus, I'm too lazy to go in and edit it. Plus, I like the slight grain. I don't need every image to be noiseless and tack sharp.

I don't mean to reject the CC. It helps to know what other people look for when I work on new photos. This was a snapshot I took over the weekend. A friend and I were walking around Boston taking photos and I saw this alleyway right before getting to Newbury Street.

PBeeee wrote in post #9389330 (external link)
I'm not sure your fever fueled work paid off to my eye.

Lol> What's that supposed to mean? :lol:

PBeeee
559 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 13, 2010 23:34 |  #7

You said you had the flu so I pictured you red eyed and working away on an edit........feverishly trying to work it out.......:D

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,735 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 13, 2010 23:35 |  #8

lol... if you look at the RAW, I didn't do much :lol:

pixelodeon
33 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 24, 2010 12:20 as a reply to  @ Nathan's post |  #9

Cool take - jimmy

conkeroo
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 25, 2010 04:15 as a reply to  @ pixelodeon's post |  #10

I've just seen this post and I think the original image has real potential. Personally, at the time of shooting, I would have used a shallow dof as the alley, for me, is the main focus of the shot. As it is, your attention isn't really drawn to anything in particular and there's no real theme to the image.
I'd make it more about the dark and dampness of the alley, the emotion that it would invoke in the viewer. I did a quick edit which incorporates a shallow dof (albeit added in ps), levels and curves tweak and some selective sharpening with a weak warming filter added at the end. Hope you don't mind. :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

HOSTED PHOTO

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
39,575 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 25, 2010 04:46 |  #11

I'm sure everyone is being very helpful, but I prefer the original just as it is. A very nice shot!

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
39,575 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 25, 2010 04:57 |  #12

Put it this way - I don't really object to them. I also think that a subject like this is better with a wide depth of field. Sorry!

conkeroo
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 25, 2010 04:59 |  #13

Roy Mathers wrote in post #9465620 (external link)
Put it this way - I don't really object to them. I also think that a subject like this is better with a wide depth of field. Sorry!

Which is why I removed my post. I was expressing my opinion and sure, not everyones going to like the same thing. No need to be sorry!

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,735 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 25, 2010 09:24 |  #14

Hey, I'm just glad people are still looking at the photo. Thanks for your input. I hadn't considered a shallow depth of field for this sort of shot before. I will certainly keep it in mind.

At least for this particular image, I wanted to draw people all the way down to the end of the alley. There are tell-tale signs in the details of the far background that tell you it is icy and cold. Didn't want to lose that. To me, the eyes need to wander from detail to detail in an urban scene.

Also, seeing that the image has been straightened by conkeroo... I am more convinced now than ever that I prefer the tilt in my original composition. The horizon being level seems just too static to me. I know people may disagree.

sponsored links

1,333 views & 0 likes for this thread
Alleyway
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.