Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 20 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 18:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Squirrel Critique

nick911sc
135 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 20, 2010 18:24 |  #1

So,

I usually use lightroom for my editing. But, I've begun to hate it for any sort of sharpening or anything like that. So this one I decided to do with Photoshop. And I guess that is where I am asking for critique. This photo is cropped and sharpened in photoshop. Taken from my Canon T1i 250mm 5.6 ISO 400

All comments welcome!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear:Canon g10
Canon Rebel T1i:18-55mm IS | 55-250mm IS | 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 90mm Macro | Tamron 17-50 non-VC | Rokinon 8mm 3.5 | YN465 | Zeikos Grip
My Gallery: http://nick911sc.devia​ntart.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 20, 2010 19:49 |  #2

From a technical perspective it looks fine to me; nice details and I don't see indications of over-sharpening. From an aesthetic standpoint, this might work better with a different crop so the squirrel is not in the center of the image (try using the rule of thirds).

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

nick911sc
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 20, 2010 20:11 |  #3

thanks, I'll keep the cropping in mind for the future!

Canon Rebel T1i:18-55mm IS | 55-250mm IS | 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 90mm Macro | Tamron 17-50 non-VC | Rokinon 8mm 3.5 | YN465 | Zeikos Grip

hawkskins
232 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 20, 2010 22:11 |  #4

I like it and I like how the squirrel is kind of framed within the branches. Looks like you did a great job in photoshop with the sharpening.

nick911sc
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 20, 2010 22:21 |  #5

Thanks!

pixelodeon
33 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 24, 2010 12:12 as a reply to  @ nick911sc's post |  #6

Nice exposure. I would just crop out that large trunk or branch on the very left side. Well done - jimmy

LuckyJules
59 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 24, 2010 22:39 |  #7

I like it -- I think you did a good job.

-Julie-

kaiden
54 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 25, 2010 00:49 |  #8

Uncalled for comment, your thread did not deserver such harsh words and for that, I am extremely sorry... I can not go back and fix my childish behavior; however I do feel my conscience would not be ok without extending an apology. Once again, I hope you can accept my request for forgiveness and forgive the post as it was placed in an unfavorable format.

Canon 7D / 70-200mm 2.8L IS II / 85mm 1.2L / 24mm 1.4L ....

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 25, 2010 08:39 |  #9

kaiden wrote in post #9464981 (external link)
Wow it's a squirrel... In a TREE... Amazing shot... :(

Actually, it is a very nice shot - it's not just a snapshot. There's a nice interplay between the "brushiness" of the squirrel's tail and the pine needles, and the color contrast is nice. My only nitpick with this one is the framing of the shot.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

conkeroo
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 25, 2010 08:41 |  #10

I've seen you basically troll this forum offering no constructive critique, only smart remarks. So come on, let's see some of your work. Post it up so we can pick your work apart.

Some people. :rolleyes:

conkeroo
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 25, 2010 08:43 |  #11

Sorry op, lost track there. I would increase the saturation ever so slightly and brighten the squirrel a tad. It looks slightly underexposed. Aside from that, I really like it. It's nicely framed and although the squirrel is centered, it still works. Rules are made to be broken.

JimMcrae
938 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 25, 2010 10:09 |  #12

I tend to agree. Maybe not amazing, but considering all that daylight filtering through the trees, casting shadows everywhere yet exposed well on subject and not whiting out the sky, and the fact it'ss well focused despite all the twigs and branches, it's a good shot. Nice one! :)

60d, 400d, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6, 24-105mm f/4, 50mm f/1.4, 580ex II, 2 X 430ex II, Bowens 500, cs5

sponsored links

1,162 views & 0 likes for this thread
Squirrel Critique
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.