Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Jan 2008 (Wednesday) 19:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Calumet Genesis kits?

angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"
3,860 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 27, 2009 22:00 |  #391

Well it looks like I'll be picking up a Genesis 200 kit with my Christmas $$$. Such a steal right now.

Steve Lexa
Iowa City Wedding Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 29, 2009 17:21 |  #392

Has anyone ever done tests on how much light these strobes will throw how far?

I have one 400 and two 200's and have a wedding reception coming up in an all glass structure. The glass walls will make conventional flash undesirable so I'm considering positioning a pair of lights in two corners and having them fire into the center of the room, either directly with the reflector or bouncing into silver umbrellas. I'm guessing the room to be 50' square, maybe a little larger. At a distance of 30-40 feet, using an ISO of 800-1600, what might I expect to have in the way of an aperature with two lights at that distance? Has anyone used these lights in this manner in a venue as large?

Any insights will be appreciated. Thanks.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

woodsters
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 29, 2009 17:35 |  #393

I would say you would fair better with the 400 at that distance....

www.brianwoodphotograp​hy.com (external link)

jkokbaker
554 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 26, 2010 16:32 |  #394

anybody receive these lights recently, I ordered last week and was told 2 to 6 weeks, the wait is the hardest thing

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

Mystwalker
608 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 26, 2010 16:49 |  #395

jkokbaker wrote in post #9476837 (external link)
anybody receive these lights recently, I ordered last week and was told 2 to 6 weeks, the wait is the hardest thing

Did you order the 400 or 200?
I cancelled my 400 order because they had lead time of 15-45 days (guess that is 2-6 weeks).

I ordered the 200 and got it within 3-4 days. This was two weeks ago.

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,034 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 26, 2010 17:37 as a reply to  @ Mystwalker's post |  #396

I ordered the 200 softbox kit on Dec.28 and still no word on when it is going to ship.

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 26, 2010 17:43 as a reply to  @ tmalone893's post |  #397

Patience is a virtue. I'm seeing reports of people receiving these kits ahead of schedule. Personally, I think it's worth the small wait for what is really a very good entry level strobe (200 or 400).

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

slivr
627 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 26, 2010 17:44 |  #398

I guess this fellow POTN member got a touch from the luck fairy. His Genesis arrived without notice even after being advised they were back ordered 4 weeks. I'm confident you'll appreciate them once they get there. I've used them for nearly 2 years now and really like 'em!

EDIT: D'uh-oh!!! Robert beat me to the response again while I was typing. :)

eightball wrote in post #9462381 (external link)
I ordered the Genesis 200 two light set on Jan 14th after being told on the 13th that it would be approximately 4 weeks to shipment. To my surprise, they showed up on my doorsteps last Friday (22nd) with no tracking information from Calumet (even logged into their site a couple of times to check on them as I was excited over the sale price purchase). They were shipped from their San Francisco location and I'm in NC. All locations still show "call for availability". Don't know if I just got lucky, but you may get earlier than what they are telling everyone.

- Jason S.
More gear and money than talent ... but workin' at it!

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,034 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 26, 2010 21:28 |  #399

TMR Design wrote in post #9477314 (external link)
Patience is a virtue. I'm seeing reports of people receiving these kits ahead of schedule. Personally, I think it's worth the small wait for what is really a very good entry level strobe (200 or 400).

I'm not in a rush. I already have two Genesis 200 lights. I'm just a little confused on why some are getting theirs before me and ordered after me.

Waiting will be fine because I do like the lights I have now.

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

eightball
42 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 26, 2010 21:30 |  #400

slivr wrote in post #9477326 (external link)
I guess this fellow POTN member got a touch from the luck fairy. His Genesis arrived without notice even after being advised they were back ordered 4 weeks. I'm confident you'll appreciate them once they get there. I've used them for nearly 2 years now and really like 'em!

EDIT: D'uh-oh!!! Robert beat me to the response again while I was typing. :)

TMR Design wrote in post #9477314 (external link)

I was a tad lucky on these I believe, but to back what these guys are saying, I am very impressed with the quality of these for the price. I think it would be worth the wait. No official pics with them yet but I have played quite a bit and I am sure they will not let you down. I also, with most others, recommend sanding the reflectors for more even light distribution.

Jeff

57hardtop
760 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 26, 2010 21:56 as a reply to  @ eightball's post |  #401

I called my local Calumet on the 14th (day before the sale ended) and told them I wanted to order a 400 kit. They said they were out of stock (of course) but assured me that if I wanted to reserve one, they would call me when they replenished their stock and honor the sale price for me...I didn't have to pay for it right then. I received three calls yesterday (less than two weeks later) from three different sales people saying the Genesis kits were in, and they would hold my kit for me (at the sale price). I said I couldn't get there until Saturday or Sunday, and every one of them said "fine, see you then".

Moral of this story...patience is a virtue :D

Roger
Gear list and feedback
http://retouching-on-the.net/forums/ (external link)

jkokbaker
554 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 26, 2010 22:11 |  #402

I ordered the 400 kit and a single 400 with soft box, but after the sale ended, how much more are they now? I have no problems waiting, I just wish i could have them no.

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

57hardtop
760 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 26, 2010 22:54 |  #403

jkokbaker wrote in post #9479051 (external link)
I ordered the 400 kit and a single 400 with soft box, but after the sale ended, how much more are they now? I have no problems waiting, I just wish i could have them no.

$469 for the two light 400 kit w/umbrellas and stands
$299 for the single light 400 w/softbox and stand

Roger
Gear list and feedback
http://retouching-on-the.net/forums/ (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 26, 2010 22:55 as a reply to  @ 57hardtop's post |  #404

The prices are good even when not on sale but those sale prices were KILLIN'!

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

jkokbaker
554 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 26, 2010 23:11 |  #405

gonna cost me an extra $200 plus

sponsored links

132,386 views & 0 likes for this thread
Calumet Genesis kits?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.