Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Jan 2010 (Tuesday) 02:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash Bracket to hold a Canon 5D MKII and 580 EXII

tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,296 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 26, 2010 21:01 |  #31

thanks I ended up getting the CB Folding -T...it folds and thus can easily be carried in the camera bag...I tried my options and yes there are better ones but they do not fold.

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R & A6000
Canon 5D2 & 7D

sponsored links
Quizzical_Squirrel
489 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 26, 2010 21:01 |  #32

Familiaphoto wrote in post #9425011 (external link)
I use the Really Right Stuff B87-B. A bit expensive and does require an L-Bracket but it is truly outstanding in construction, weight and ease of use.

http://reallyrightstuf​f.com …tems.asp?kc=B87​-B-PPP&eq= (external link)

Familiaphoto and Roywsmith, I notice you both chose different RRS brackets. Apart from the portability factor, is there a functional advantage of one type over the other?

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
3,948 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 26, 2010 21:12 |  #33

Quizzical_Squirrel wrote in post #9478533 (external link)
Familiaphoto and Roywsmith, I notice you both chose different RRS brackets. Apart from the portability factor, is there a functional advantage of one type over the other?

I chose the B87-B because it fit better with my shooting style. I also like how it moves the flash forward over the lens. It cost more but works so well I can't find a complaint with it. When apart it fits in my bag just fine. It is in two pieces but stores easy.

Paul
Blog (external link) | Gear (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

GMHY
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 26, 2010 22:58 |  #34

Just for the sake of quoting a different solution, I use a Kirk action grip :
http://www.kirkphoto.c​om/Action_Grip.html (external link)
The flash sits on top of the handle, slightly higher than with the camera hotshoe, and left of the lens axis - not a red eye issue, using it with a Lumiquest 20/80 or a small softbox.
My 5D II has a L plate, then it's easy to move the camera in portrait position - probably slower than with the specialized rotating brackets mentioned above, but I'm not a wedding / professional photog, so it's OK.
Very comfortable, light and sturdy, doubles as a good handle, can be fittted on a tripod - it has an Arca Swiss-like plate underneath.
Defect: does not fold at all, flat or otherwise - would hog some room in a bag.

Gerard

roywsmith
24 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 27, 2010 00:10 |  #35

Quizzical_Squirrel wrote in post #9478533 (external link)

Quizzical_Squirrel,

I chose the MPR-1 as it meets my needs, folds up smaller, and doesn't need a rail.

The B87-B is needed with macro lenses (or telephoto zooms with macro capability) when the subject is close to the lens. It moves the flash further forward so the subject is not in the shadow of the lens.

Roy

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 27, 2010 05:46 |  #36

Looks very solid, compact, well built. Just be aware of side shadows when shooting groups and people in landscape mode.

GMHY wrote in post #9479380 (external link)
Just for the sake of quoting a different solution, I use a Kirk action grip :
http://www.kirkphoto.c​om/Action_Grip.html (external link)
The flash sits on top of the handle, slightly higher than with the camera hotshoe, and left of the lens axis - not a red eye issue, using it with a Lumiquest 20/80 or a small softbox......

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

GMHY
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 27, 2010 06:17 |  #37

sapearl wrote in post #9480758 (external link)
Looks very solid, compact, well built. Just be aware of side shadows when shooting groups and people in landscape mode.

Yes its main quality is to be simple and straightforward: no moving / rotating parts, sturdy...
And yes, direct flash may create side shadows - but I do mainly bounce flash, then it's OK.

Gerard

sponsored links

8,771 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash Bracket to hold a Canon 5D MKII and 580 EXII
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.