Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 May 2009 (Sunday) 21:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ugly and BGN Ratings from KEH - Wow!

RyanB
357 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 31, 2009 21:21 |  #1

I was browsing KEH's used section a few days ago when I noticed a couple of used Contax 50mm f/1.4 Planar T*s pop up that I hadn't seen before. Normal going rate on these seem to be anywhere from $220-300 depending on the condition. KEH had a BGN for $240 and an ugly for $159 (almost half off!). I decided to give in and order the Ugly version, knowing they have a liberal 14 day return policy, and if it was in too bad condition I could return it. Plus, it was so cheap! Anyways, I was surprised when I received it.

I could have swore I ordered the ugly version, but I received a package labeled BGN. My order said BGN also, but the price was still $159. Anyways, here are some pictures:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i67.photobucket​.com/albums/h307/moejo​e649/1.jpg (external link)

http://i67.photobucket​.com …07/moejoe649/IM​G_8744.jpg (external link)

http://i67.photobucket​.com …07/moejoe649/IM​G_8749.jpg (external link)

If this had been on ebay, this lens for sure would have been rated "Mint" or next to perfect, or whatever. It has a few marks on the barrel, seen above, but other than that everything is almost 100% brand new. Optics are perfect. Pretty damn pleased with my purchase heh.

So, is this pretty normal for KEH's used selection? BGN and ugly are almost their lowest ranked items, and from this I'd say they are VERY conservative in their ratings. If this is the norm I might have to browse there more often.... anyone else have a similar experience?

5d Mk II + Meike Grip l Canon 24-105mm f4L l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Contax Carl Zeiss 100mm f2 Planar T* l Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG |Sennheiser MKE-300 Microphone l Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm f2 ZE l
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
bric-a-brac
520 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 31, 2009 21:28 |  #2

I've never dealt with them, but I've read a lot of people on the forum describe KEH's rating system as ultra-conservative.

"a photograph isn't about what something looks like, but what it's like to look."
50D|35L|other stuff

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 31, 2009 21:45 |  #3

KEH is a great place to buy used glass for this reason.

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 31, 2009 21:53 |  #4

Indeed. BGN glass almost always is flawless on the optics. Usually, they are very clean, though sometimes you'll have a bit of brassing and such on some bargain items. EX is essentially mint. I bought an EX Zeiss 50/1.7 and it looked brand new. I couldn't find a mark on it.

I never hesitate to buy bargain from them, but I've never purchased an ugly...I've heard the ugly lenses range from mild cleaning marks down to something really truly ugly...though it's usually priced accordingly.

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.com (external link)
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.com (external link)

Rodinal
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 31, 2009 21:57 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Their search engine is just plain stupid and has been like this for years... You can chose between "Canon Digital" and "Canon 35mm" when you look for Canon lenses, which means you gotta search twice every time...

quite dumb.

otherwise KEH is great.

1D Mark II • 16-35/2.8L mk I • 24-70L • 70-200/2.8L IS • 50/1.8 • 24-85 • 400/5.6L • 430EX

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 31, 2009 22:02 |  #6

No, Canon Digital ONLY has EF-s lenses, and third parties that are made for crop bodies. EF lenses and all full frame third party lenses are in the Canon 35mm section. So, if you need a full frame lens, search in the Canon 35mm section, and if you need a crop lens, search in the Digital section...no need to search both.

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.com (external link)
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.com (external link)

ExpensiveHobby
91 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 31, 2009 22:07 |  #7

wow nice pick up =] 159$ is an awesome price. i want one too lol

i always thought zeiss were German? it says made in japan. *shrugs*

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS 400D / Kiss Digital X | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM | Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD ASP IF | Tokina AT-X 124 AF Pro DX 12-24mm f/4 | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 31, 2009 22:21 |  #8

ExpensiveHobby wrote in post #8025633 (external link)
wow nice pick up =] 159$ is an awesome price. i want one too lol

i always thought zeiss were German? it says made in japan. *shrugs*

They are, but they got bought by Cosina in japan who produces some of their optics there...

or produced in this case :)

Anyways lucky *%#$! KEH's rating scale is very VERY good...I still hate myself for not spending the $200 to get the BGN-rated Sigma 400mm f/5.6 they had...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Lani ­ Kai
"blissfully unaware"
2,132 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 01, 2009 00:15 |  #9

I've bought Mamiya RB lenses in UG condition from them and they were very clean; just a few paint chips here and there.
Not going to complain after paying ~$30ish for each

SmugMug | [URL="http://www.faceb​ook.com/kohei.photo"]F​acebook | [URL="http://twitter.c​om/KoheiNakamura"]Twit​ter | [URL="http://gplus.to/​koheinakamura"]Google+ | [URL="http://500px.com​/KoheiNakamura"]500pxexternal link Equipment list | Colorburnexternal link
Founder, Canon Digital Photographyexternal link group on Facebook

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 27, 2010 12:54 |  #10

I know it is reviving an old thread but I just got a "bargain" lens from KEH. Not a mark on it and it works perfectly. I have no idea why it is a bargain lens.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 27, 2010 12:58 |  #11

HoosierJoe wrote in post #9482906 (external link)
I know it is reviving an old thread but I just got a "bargain" lens from KEH. Not a mark on it and it works perfectly. I have no idea why it is a bargain lens.

Maybe it kinda smelled like it had been in a Nikon shooters bag.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 27, 2010 13:01 |  #12

KenjiS wrote in post #8025700 (external link)
They are, but they got bought by Cosina in japan who produces some of their optics there...

or produced in this case :)

Anyways lucky *%#$! KEH's rating scale is very VERY good...I still hate myself for not spending the $200 to get the BGN-rated Sigma 400mm f/5.6 they had...

Cosina bought the license to produce the current Zeiss lenses. The Contax stuff including the lens is question was produced by Kyocera. Kyocera sold off its interests and exited the camera business in 2005.

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 27, 2010 13:57 |  #13

RyanB wrote in post #8025375 (external link)
If this had been on ebay, this lens for sure would have been rated "Mint" or next to perfect, or whatever.

Many items listed for sale play pretty fast & loose with the descriptions, including some like "pristine", "extra mint", & "immaculate" that I've seen.

A pretty standard rating scale is here:
http://www.usedcamerab​uyer.com/condition_sca​le.php (external link)

Cosmetic appearance is only part of the story .. an items functionality needs to be considered as well.

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 27, 2010 13:57 |  #14

tkbslc wrote in post #9482924 (external link)
Maybe it kinda smelled like it had been in a Nikon shooters bag.

I have a business client who knows I am into photography. They got a new Nikon and want me to show them how to use it. I told them to exchange it for a Canon and I would.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

canondslr
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 27, 2010 14:09 |  #15

KEH is always good like that, I bought a pair of flash (580ex) a while back, 1 brand new and 1 BGN (because I want one used and at that time they only have the one used which is the BGN condition).
I got it, hold them side by side, cant see the difference, untill later, I found a hair scratch on the BGN one coincidentally when the angle of light is right.

sponsored links

13,861 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ugly and BGN Ratings from KEH - Wow!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.