Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 27 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 12:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mars shooting

FSUnoles
739 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 27, 2010 12:39 |  #1

http://news.nationalge​ographic.com …00125-mars-closest-earth/ (external link)

tonight you can get a great view of mars. how do we go about shooting it?

-Jason-
Gear : T1i, nifty fifty, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS, Lowerpro slingshot 100, manfrotto tripod
Flickr (external link) ::Blog (external link)

DonR
262 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 27, 2010 15:14 |  #2

Focus manually, using Live View and zooming in to verify focus (don't just set the lens to the far focus limit). Alternately use autofocus with the center focus point only. Make some test exposures and keep the exposure time short enough so that you don't blow out the fairly bright surface. Again, use Live View to review the exposure tests. No part of the planet should be white, except the polar ice cap if it is visible. But you would need a minimum of 1000mm focal length to see the polar ice cap or any other detail, preferably 2000mm or more. At 250mm, Mars will be little larger than a single pixel.

Don

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 28, 2010 03:31 |  #3

For anything lower than about 1000mm focal length, shoot it like you would an extremely bright star! I'm praying for clear and steady skies so I can point my 2800mm scope at it, and see what I can get with my 2x, 3x or 4x Barlows, (or possibly a combination thereof!) ;)

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

low ­ note ­ lee
dammit, i suck at observation...
250 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 28, 2010 03:45 |  #4

DonR wrote in post #9483843 (external link)
At 250mm, Mars will be little larger than a single pixel.

Don

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait till 2014 then :(

deviantART (external link)
flickr (external link)
My Stuff

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 28, 2010 05:11 |  #5

By the way, it's not just tonight. It's been in a good position for a while and it'll still be in a good position for several months yet.

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

937 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mars shooting
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.