Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 12:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New here~ Processing/program question!

joellelee
265 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 27, 2010 12:03 |  #1

Hello!
I am new to all of this...
I have DPP and have processed RAW images and all just fine...I also have GIMP and have not figured that one out yet.
My questions are as follows...
I am wondering if it would be worth purchasing photoshop? I am doing wedding photography and need to be able to whiten teeth/correct blemishes etc...Can GIMP do this?....Can the basic photoshop ELEMENTS do this?...the reason why i am interested in photoshop, among other things, is to be able to purchase/download 'actions'....
any recommendations?...tha​nx!:)

sponsored links
basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 27, 2010 12:06 |  #2

GIMP can do it, but photoshop is just so much easier to use... However, if you are doing weddings in RAW, spend the money on LR2/3 first, it'll be much more useful. Local adjustments means that you can do teeth whitening just fine, and you have heal/clone tools for blemishes. Of the 10k photos of last year, I only brought a very, very small portion of them to photoshop (much less than 1%).

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

joellelee
THREAD ­ STARTER
265 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 27, 2010 12:42 as a reply to  @ basroil's post |  #3

So, Photoshop elements cannot do those things i am guessing/?
How much does Lightroom usually cost?
I was just so interested in the actions of photoshop etc...

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 27, 2010 13:12 |  #4

Photoshop Elements can do that as well... it has actions, layers, plugins, etc. One thing it lacks for heavy volume work like weddings is automation/batch processing.

Both Gimp and PSE can easily do cloning and healing as well.

No matter what you choose you are talking about an investment in time to learn the program/interface and use of the tools. My typical response is DON'T buy CS4 when just beginning to learn using a pixel-editing tool. Quite honestly its overkill for most purposes. PSE is much more cost-effective, the things you learn translate easily to CS4, and in a couple years if you DO decide to get CS, you will (1) be getting a NEWER version of CS and(2) Get a slight to substantial discount on CSx.*

As far as LR... it typically costs $299. If you or household member is a student, you may be eligible for student price of $99. LR3 is in public beta phase, which means a new LR product is right around the corner... so it may be worth waiting to buy. Typically with LR, however, you still will want a pixel editor (Gimp, PSE, CS) to do further work (healing brush, or whatever you couldn't accomplish in LR.)

Looks like you've got some testing ahead of you, because only you can decide what best fits your needs and amount of money you wish to expend. (Adobe has free 30-day trials of their products... so make use of them.)

*substantial discount comes into play when Adobe occasionally/unpredict​ably has special upgrade offers for PSE users to CS for ~$299.

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

joellelee
THREAD ­ STARTER
265 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 27, 2010 13:50 |  #5

Hmmm..Yeah, I just downloaded a free trial of lightroom...not much different than my DPP....I really like my DPP for batch processing etc, and minor exposure editing....So, if Elements has the ability to whiten teeth/fix blemishes and has actions maybe thats my best bet right now....How much does elements usually run?

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 27, 2010 16:56 |  #6

PSE list I think is $99.

Can be found cheaper at stores ($78.49 right now at amazon), and occasionally for about $50 on sale at Costco (check their coupon books if you are a member.)

BTW, you must not have delved into LR very deeply... there is ALOT improved compared DPP IMO (DPP STILL doesn't have arbitrary rotation for straightening horizons, there are controls over sharpening, red-eye (I forget, DPP have that?), targeted-adjustment tool for powerful color/tone/BW control, vignetting, graduated filters, just to get started. Then you also have ability to do collections, keywording, virtual copies, etc. Which could be useful for high-volume Wedding photography.)

But in the end, you do have to decide if its right for you... and some enjoy the simplicity and get desired results with DPP... and that's fine too.

David C.

Kent ­ Clark
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 28, 2010 11:45 |  #7

I used to use Elements and upgraded to Lightroom and CS4 about 8 months ago. Elements is a great way to start, it has all of the most important features of Photoshop and it is cheap. Plus, when you want to upgrade all of the skills you acquire will transfer directly to PS.

Lightroom is a great program and since I shoot RAW I find at least 75% of what I need to do I can do in LR. But I really think it is overpriced. I bought it with the student discount, at $99 it's well worth the price but at $299 I think staying with Elements is more cost effective.

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 28, 2010 12:22 |  #8

I agree, Kent. I think $299 is a bit steep for LR (as a non-pro, at least.) I love it, but would never have bought at that price. I got in at early adopter discount when LR1 was released (+ a discount code) making my cost a more palatable ~$150... after that the $99 upgrade cost seems reasonable to me.

(As you mentioned, $99 student price is a bargain.)

Don't know if I mentioned it above, but I use LR primarily (90%+) and occasionally use PSE or Gimp for further edits, if needed for special tasks.

David C.

joellelee
THREAD ­ STARTER
265 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 28, 2010 14:25 |  #9

Wellll...Cannot decide what to do now....I saw a Craigslist ad for CS4 for only 80.00 dollars....maybe that would be worth getting?...I am on the fence w/ LR and Elements....I have read glowing reviews about LR and ease of use....Elements I have heard has it's problems w/ uploading images/organization?

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 28, 2010 16:18 |  #10

joellelee wrote in post #9491519 (external link)
Wellll...Cannot decide what to do now....I saw a Craigslist ad for CS4 for only 80.00 dollars....maybe that would be worth getting?...I am on the fence w/ LR and Elements....I have read glowing reviews about LR and ease of use....Elements I have heard has it's problems w/ uploading images/organization?

That's awfully cheap. Maybe others can step in here, but I'd be afraid they were selling it the ALSO using the license... making your version a pirate copy. I believe Adobe has a license transfer program of some sorts, so at least you'd protect yourself that way (chime in if you know anything about that.)

Don't know who you read that from about Elements, but many people say the same thing about LR.

Fact is Elements gets a lot of bad press from people who know very little about it, because they've only ever used CS... and they make assumptions. As far as organization & importing images, truth is you don't HAVE to use Elements organizer... you can open directly to editor and open images the old fashioned way if you wish. (I use LR for my organizer now, and skip the organizer now when using Elements.)

I for one loved the organizer... you just have to realizes its a CATALOG of links to your images. That means if you move files around or delete them outside of the program, it loses track of them... some people mistakenly think that if photo is in the catalog they can safely delete it from their hard drive..... YIKES!!! LR works much the same way, and similarly gets bad press from people who don't like the catalog/database approach.

The POWER of the organizer approach lets you quickly search through images in timeline view no matter WHAT your folder structure is like on disk. Also allows for keywording, and searching based on those keywords.

David C.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 28, 2010 16:55 as a reply to  @ davidcrebelxt's post |  #11

Pirated copies of CS4 are available very cheaply, But beware, Adobe know a few tricks, they were not born yesterday. The very next time you connect to the Internet the software will grab the opportunity to phone home. If the registration code is not legitimate the software will immediately shut down and you have just wasted the money you spent.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

joellelee
THREAD ­ STARTER
265 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 28, 2010 18:13 |  #12

He's saying he does not need it anymore and wants to sell the manual/discs and serial #

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 28, 2010 19:02 |  #13

See this knowledge base article from Adobe regarding transfer of licenses:
http://kb2.adobe.com/c​ps/152/tn_15281.html (external link)

I've never done it before, so that's about all the help I can give on that.

David C.

Diver-Down
272 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 28, 2010 20:38 as a reply to  @ davidcrebelxt's post |  #14

How about NEW Full versions of CS4 on e-bay ? I see some going for around $200

Canon 7DII / 7D / (400D) XTI / 400 5.6 L / Tamron 150-600 / 70-200 F4 IS L / 17-85 IS / 10-22 / Tamron 17-50 2.8 / 85 1.8 / 580 EX II / Kenko 1.4X

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 29, 2010 05:22 |  #15

Diver-Down,

CS4 is over £700. Anyone selling at $200 has to be up to something. However thats about a fair price and if Adobe offered it at that price I'd buy it, at £700 it's never worth it to me.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,635 views & 0 likes for this thread
New here~ Processing/program question!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.