Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 29 Jan 2010 (Friday) 12:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kaitlyn - Senior Cutie

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 29, 2010 12:41 |  #1

First let me apologize that I don't get on here as much as I use to and as much as I'd like! I'm just swamped spending hours and hours everyday in Photoshop! I so need an intern!

I wanted to share one of my favorites seniors I've shot this year. What a doll Kaitlyn is! I'm hoping to kick off my workshops later this summer so here is a sample of what I'll be working to share with others. I love the way these turned out!

Here are a few of the pages from her senior book. The id number below may not be the page number. The rest of the book can be seen on my website under client viewing.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i271.photobucke​t.com …lishing/Kaitlyn​/k1819.jpg (external link)

http://i271.photobucke​t.com …lishing/Kaitlyn​/k1213.jpg (external link)

http://i271.photobucke​t.com …lishing/Kaitlyn​/k1415.jpg (external link)

http://i271.photobucke​t.com …lishing/Kaitlyn​/k0405.jpg (external link)

http://i271.photobucke​t.com …lishing/Kaitlyn​/k0809.jpg (external link)

http://i271.photobucke​t.com …hing/Kaitlyn/k0​1first.jpg (external link)

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
Billy ­ Q
30 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 29, 2010 12:46 |  #2

Cutie...............yo​u bet, awesome pics
:cool:

:rolleyes:Canon Eos 1d, 1d mk2, 40d gripped, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8, 20-35mm usm,17-40mm Lseries
17-85 is usm,28-70mmf2.8L, sigma 14mm f2.8, pair of 550ex 580ex, and Quantum 2x2 Turbo power pack and various odds and ends :D

alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 29, 2010 13:02 |  #3

These are truly awesome and some great lighting!

I love that attitude look on the bike! Great model! Looks like it was a fun shoot!

Name's Andy! :)
Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)
asheltonphoto.com (external link)

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,873 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 29, 2010 13:04 |  #4

Wow, these are very very nicely done. Love em all!! oh, and what a pretty model. :D

a7RII • V12 • L21 • S24GM • S85
a6600 • S16C • S56C
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

drumnut01
415 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 29, 2010 13:13 |  #5

These are all amazing.

Feedback

alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 29, 2010 13:42 |  #6

Would you mind sharing the lighting information? I have a similar shoot coming up and this is what I've been envisioning!

Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 29, 2010 13:52 |  #7

Did you have a specific one you are thinking of?

I can tell you a little about my "process."

The outdoor cycle shots were taken near sunset and exposed about a stop under the sky. I have a pretty good system I use where I don't worry much about the definition of field in these shots.

Lighting in the cycles were 2 Alien Bees and a Vagabond. If I recall on these I didn't use an umbrella or soft box because I wanted the light a bit more harsh.

I had one light camera left and about 6-7 feet high, I then had one more light camera right behind the subject using it as a kicker so I could separate her from the background. It is very clear in posting 3 with the image on the right. Usually my kicker light is about 1 stop less then my main light because it bounces off the subject brighter then you would think.

For me the trick is getting the ambient light the way you want it first, you do this by controlling the shutter speed at a setting where you can either hand hold the camera or it is OK and preferred to use a tripod. Once I get my shutter speed around 1/60th trying to keep the ISO as low as possible) I then use the appropriate aperture that gets me the ambient setting I just worked up. I then use a light meter to set my strobes or my 580 EX II's. The great thing is now I just bracket the shutter speed and I get different looks for the sky but my subject stays properly exposed.

So for example if I wanted to keep my ISO low and I had it at 100 and I set my shutter speed to 1/60th then my aperture might call for say f/11 (this is just an example.) I then meter my strobes for f/11 main and f/8 for kicker. Now I can take several shots and just adjust the shutter speed to change the exposure of the sky up and down.

Keep in touch and maybe late this summer you can attend one of my workshops where we will do this hands on.

Does that make sense?

McKinney, TX

alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 29, 2010 14:08 |  #8

Sure does! I'm muddling by without a light meter right now. I mainly use the histogram and eyeballs. A light meter is on my wishlist though.

Are you workshops going to be local to you or are you traveling? I would certainly be interested if funds permit!

Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)

A.Tan
599 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 29, 2010 14:24 |  #9

These are all nice images. Beautiful model too.

5D MKII,17-40 f/4L, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 135mm f/2L, 70-200mm f/2.8L, 550EX, 580EXII, ST-E2, Sekonic L-358, 2 SB-26s, 3 AB800s.
m43 Olympus E-PL7, 12-42mm RII Kit, m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Panasonic Lumix G X 45-175mm

zom1414
805 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 29, 2010 14:45 |  #10

Wow! really nice. Did you make all the boarders too? The pictures are sharp and very well exposed. Nice job!

www.craiglamere.com (external link)

S-Man
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 29, 2010 14:45 |  #11

Hey Tay, those look phenomenal. Did you get any shots of her making a rooster tail with her bike?
Also, are you keeping that workshop up around Dallas, or you coming to Houston? All the great shops happen up there, and never come down to the drrrrty souf! :(

UndacovA.Fotography
140 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 29, 2010 15:32 |  #12

Stunning, just stunning..

nickbunyun
478 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 29, 2010 15:37 |  #13

last picture is absolutely awesome..
your lighting is great!!!!! do u do it all manual or with light meter?

Canon 60D • 50mm 1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 • Sigma 30 1.4
Speedlite 430EX • Speedlite 550EX • CTR-301P
My website • (external link)My Flickr • (external link)My Twitter (external link)Jesus is my Lord and Saviour!
My Youtube Channel (has some photo tutorials by me.. check it out!) (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 29, 2010 15:56 |  #14

Thanks Everyone!

I do hope to do some traveling with my workshops, I suspect it will be the major cities in Texas first but since I have friends in Atlanta I'd love to do one there! I did fly out and shoot an engagement session there a couple of years ago.

GET A LIGHT METER! I don't use mine all the time because I get lazy (and I usually pay for it), a histogram will lie to you, without a light meter you just can't get the mids just right which is very important when shooting people!

I agree on that last picture...it is my favorite head shot. I really hate shooting in studio but Kaitlyn made it real easy!

McKinney, TX

SquareOne
641 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 29, 2010 16:40 |  #15

taygull wrote in post #9499588 (external link)
GET A LIGHT METER! I don't use mine all the time because I get lazy (and I usually pay for it), a histogram will lie to you, without a light meter you just can't get the mids just right which is very important when shooting people!

We've used one in all of my classes and I still thought I could get away without one. Now that I'm seeing the results, I finally purchased one! What a difference it can make!

sponsored links

7,173 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kaitlyn - Senior Cutie
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.