Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 29 Jan 2010 (Friday) 21:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If you owned this building/business, would you like the photo?

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 29, 2010 21:31 |  #1

Think of it from a business owner or building owner's point of view, and not a photographer.

I made this look illustrated. I ran 4 images through Photomatix, and then adjusted some color through photoshop elements. After that I ran it through Topaz adjust, cranked up the strength, and then went back and grabbed the while/yellowish walls and smoothed them out a couple times, and isolated and smoothed out the sky about five times, each time boosting the saturation a bit.

I'm not trying to sell it, and it was shot just out of fun, so I have nothing to lose with this small project.

Any C&C is appreciated.

Thanks

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i601.photobucke​t.com …aelFairbanks/Wo​rldGym.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links
texaspancake
111 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 29, 2010 21:33 |  #2

It looks a bit too processed for my taste.

Comerfjc
564 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 29, 2010 21:38 as a reply to  @ texaspancake's post |  #3

I personally gotta say no. It's dark and so everything BUT the business itself stands out. I think there's a lot you can do with the reflections in the windows there, it could 'pop' a lot more than it does now.

Jason
http://www.jasoncomerf​ord.com (external link)
http://jasoncomerford.​zenfolio.com/blog (external link)

Gary ­ McDuffie
Goldmember
3,022 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 29, 2010 22:07 |  #4

You'd need to get rid of the dark gloomy look to it. It needs to be bright. Equate bright with good, dark with bad (gloom).

Gary
"I'm not much of an artist, but I like to document certain things that I see."
----------
5DII, 7D, some L, Manfroto one and three legged devices, shooting & learning bit by bit via POTN

PrimePhotographer
182 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 29, 2010 22:12 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

I agree it needs to not be "dark" and the cars in the window reflections are not appealing, they distract from the business we are suppose to be looking at.

You might try to photo just before sun down or sun up. When the sun goes under the cloud cover and hits the building just right for dynamic light, also at that time of day there may be fewer cars in the parking lot to give a better view of the building.

Use photoshop to remove the "lights" inside the building we can see shine through the windows on the left behind the tree.

Comerfjc wrote in post #9501433 (external link)
I personally got to say no. It's dark and so everything BUT the business itself stands out. I think there's a lot you can do with the reflections in the windows there, it could 'pop' a lot more than it does now.

IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,030 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 29, 2010 22:48 |  #6

too over processed, if i was a business owner, i'd want a more natural look. it's also to dark, especially at the top. for advertising purposes you'd want something with more pop.

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

eeeksNYC
602 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2010 22:56 |  #7

also, try shooting when the parking lot isn't as full. that way, you get to see more of the building/property/land​scaping

eeeksNYC (my blog (external link), my flickr (external link))
zeiss ikon icarex 35s,5D MK1/ EF 28-70 f2.8L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sunpak 383s / Cybersyncs / and a couple bags of other stuff....http://www.flickr.com/​photos/29075737@N02/ (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,056 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 30, 2010 06:09 |  #8

No. Bad composition. Too much sky, sidewalks cut in half. Cars cut in half horizontally and vertically. I would want my business to look bright, happy and inviting. This looks dark and shadowy and uninviting.

That was meant in an honest, productive tone. Hope that helps.

Website (external link) |

MikeFairbanks
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 30, 2010 09:15 |  #9

Great comments.

It's interesting how the comments of others, once I read them, make sense and then I see.

I can't argue with any of the above comments, so it's back to the drawing board, so to speak.

Like I said, this isn't for anything other than learning. I'm not actually working for anyone in terms of the photo being taken. Just pretending. It's all about the learning.

I appreciated the comments, and agree with them all.

Thank you. bw!

eviltech
175 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 31, 2010 20:12 |  #10

no i wouldnt. its to dark, but it has potential with some different settings.

Canon 40D,24-70 2.8L,Tamron 10-24, 430ex 2,580 ex 2, Photomatix 3, Photoshop Elements 7, and Now Photoshop CS4:lol:

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,998 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 31, 2010 20:20 |  #11

Nope, the shadows look smeared. I dont know if this is a commissioned shot, but I dont know that HDR is the route for this type of shot.

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 01, 2010 14:40 |  #12

IMO - The answer would be no since the company name is dark and slightly blurry.

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 01, 2010 14:47 |  #13

CannedHeat wrote in post #9503222 (external link)
I would want my business to look bright, happy and inviting.

Along this same vein, I'd want nice, green, leafy trees as well.

Summer time is much happier than dead tree time.

Just thinking out loud.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Ter
61 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 02, 2010 05:27 |  #14

like everyone else i would have to say no only because of the darkness

40D
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM./EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS / EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS /50mm f1.8 II / Speedlight 580EXII :lol:
http://terrence-c-imaging.smugmug.com/ (external link)

binliner
711 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 02, 2010 05:41 |  #15

I'd say no because... 1. the processing looks overdone, 2. the cars make it look like a snapshot 3. Composition isn't great

Go back when the car park is empty, at sunrise/sunset with the colours reflected in all that glass or is it illuminated at night?

Justin
website (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link) | blog (external link)
5D II | 7D | G1-X | 17-40mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f4 | 300mm f4 | 1.4x II | Lee filters

sponsored links

2,245 views & 0 likes for this thread
If you owned this building/business, would you like the photo?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.