Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 29 Jan 2010 (Friday) 17:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera Bag for someone with Neck issues?

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 29, 2010 23:17 |  #16

The Thinktank Rotation 360 backpack (external link). Lets you access it while still wearing it. Depends if you want to spend for that feature, but not having neck problems may be worth it.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

sponsored links
nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 29, 2010 23:20 |  #17

ImRaptor wrote in post #9501991 (external link)
Kata 3n1 does that.

I like the LowePro Fastback design better because it's really a backpack with wide access. I don't have to unhook a strap to convert it from a backpack to a sling.

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 29, 2010 23:21 |  #18

tvphotog wrote in post #9502020 (external link)
The Thinktank Rotation 360 backpack (external link). Lets you access it while still wearing it. Depends if you want to spend for that feature, but not having neck problems may be worth it.

That's pretty interesting...but not for me.:(

ImRaptor
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 29, 2010 23:28 |  #19

nicksan wrote in post #9502035 (external link)
I like the LowePro Fastback design better because it's really a backpack with wide access. I don't have to unhook a strap to convert it from a backpack to a sling.

The way the Fastback is setup you can do the exact same thing with the Kata 3n1.
You just set the straps from top to bottom rather than cross strap. Then it's worn as a regular backpack that has side access.

Kata has 3 basic strap layout options, sling, cross, and back pack. You can easily set it up in the way you prefer.

http://imraptor.devian​tart.com/ (external link)
Why yes, I am a jerk. Thank you for asking.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2010 23:29 |  #20

nicksan wrote in post #9502035 (external link)

Except that, unless you carry less than 4 lenses, you have to put it down to change lenses.

I had one..... got rid of it prertty fast. Also, uncomfortable. Not recommended, imo.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

dpark
376 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 30, 2010 00:03 |  #21

I'd steer clear of Kata's 3n1 bags. I love the idea, but the implementation is not great, especially on the larger versions. The straps are just too thin. And honestly, if you've been having trouble with sling bags, there seems to be no point in getting another. Get a proper backpack.

Get something that has nice thick, comfortable shoulder straps. Bonus points if it's got a good hip belt to get more of the weight off the shoulders.

If you want quick access, get a bag with d-rings on the shoulders. You can attach the camera directly to that. Carry it that way and there's no need for a sling-style pack anyway. If you're really set on the side access, check out the Tamrac Aero series. They get consistently good reviews. (I haven't used one personally.)

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 30, 2010 00:08 |  #22

Thanks for all the great info fellas.

I didn't know that the kata can operate much in the same way as the Fastpack. Good to know.

I will look into the Aero.

I agree. I might be in need of nicely paded straps. I have an optech strap for the camera and it makes a ton of difference in taking off the load so I suppose it's the same concept.

I guess I'm going to head over to B&H sometime next week. The good thing about it is that since it's for health reasons, my wife is being quite agreeable to buying yet another bag. (not that I can compete with her rather large collection of purses!)

ImRaptor
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 30, 2010 00:13 |  #23

dpark wrote in post #9502195 (external link)
Bonus points if it's got a good hip belt to get more of the weight off the shoulders.

3n1 has that too. :)

ImRaptor
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 30, 2010 00:17 |  #24

nicksan wrote in post #9502209 (external link)
my wife is being quite agreeable to buying yet another bag. (not that I can compete with her rather large collection of purses!)

Whenever my wife starts becoming agreeable with anything I am buying, regardless of reason, I start to get suspicious because usually it means she wants something too.

I could see it now, you buy a new bag, and all of a sudden there is a new purse or two appearing in the house. :D

Anyway, good luck with the shopping, in your case I'd say that trying the bag out is important. Remember not to settle with something that seems like it might work, be confident that it will help your neck.

dpark
376 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 30, 2010 00:21 |  #25

ImRaptor wrote in post #9502223 (external link)
3n1 has that too. :)

The shoulder straps suck, though. I've handled these in person and was really disappointed. I really wanted to like these, but the straps were just too thin and flimsy. I also don't remember the hip belt being anything special, but I decided no as soon as I tried the shoulder straps so I might have missed that.

Maybe those straps would be okay on the 3n1-10, but on the 3n1-30, they're just not enough.

ImRaptor
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 30, 2010 00:34 |  #26

There plenty for me on the 30.
Right now my 30 is a bit over 20 pounds of weight and I haven't had a problem with the straps feeling two skinny.

dpark
376 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 30, 2010 00:44 |  #27

To me, the straps look and feel cheap and thin. I think they intentionally kept them small so they could tuck behind the padding easily, but I think for a decent-sized backback like the 3n1-30, they're just too thin. I've seen other reviews to this affect as well. There's also no sternum strap or d-rings, but that's more of a peripheral issue. Obviously it comes down to personal preference.

If the 3n1-33 was available with good shoulder straps (and carried a full-size tripod), I'd be all over it.

whirligig
280 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 30, 2010 00:45 |  #28

the kata 3n1 bag can be found online for like 70 or 80 bucks, which is not too shabby. i'm curious to know more about the bag, though, and any other reasons why people who have owned it either did or didn't like the bag (save for the straps).

ImRaptor
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 30, 2010 00:51 |  #29

I just remembered an ad from a magazine I just got: it was for one of Tamrac's new bags.
Called the Aero Speed series. Likely another good one to check out.

dpark
376 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 30, 2010 01:03 |  #30

whirligig wrote in post #9502362 (external link)
the kata 3n1 bag can be found online for like 70 or 80 bucks, which is not too shabby. i'm curious to know more about the bag, though, and any other reasons why people who have owned it either did or didn't like the bag (save for the straps).

My biggest problem was with the straps. It really is a nice bag if you don't mind the straps (and don't mind the style). I also don't like the fact that the tripod cup is both low-capacity (5lb) and not included, but I could deal with that.

sponsored links

6,354 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera Bag for someone with Neck issues?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.