Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 16 Jan 2010 (Saturday) 07:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HS BB 24-105 f/4; Need feedback

richbindians
45 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 21, 2010 00:05 |  #16

Am I reading the SS correctly - 1/250? If I go that low with basketball action shots, I get pretty bad motion blur. I usually have to go with at least 1/400 (but usually 1/500 or 1/640) to freeze the action. Of course, I'm usually shooting ambient.

Rich B.

sponsored links
mestes
354 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 21, 2010 00:58 |  #17

He is using strobe and the strobes act as his shutter so all he needs to set is ISO and f-stop the 1/250 shutter speed is the max his camera can be set to when using flash, most cameras are that or 1/200 some are higher but not sure how many if any at all.

Name: Matt | Please put your First name in your signature. Thanks
Gear List

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,876 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 21, 2010 09:19 |  #18

Phil, I'd say these look pretty good. I did some with the 17-40 f4 and 24-105 f4 in the past and found that both were decent lenses when used in NCAA lit gyms or with strobes. The one thing I don't like as much is that some of the shots seem a little overly contrasty for my taste. I like some punch as much as the next guy (figure of speech to those ladies who might be reading) but some of these seem a bit too much. Consider a fairly low opacity high pass filter to crisp things up, then some USM sharpening.if needed still. Last step is add a low opacity (Im talking 5-10%) soft light layer to give your colors some zing and add contrast. Its largely personal taste but that's what I do so I thought I'd throw it out there.

So, you really are a Dr. Phil, huh? Sweet.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 21, 2010 12:54 |  #19

Phil, from seeing your previous posts, I can see why you are concerned. I'd hate to know I had 200 shots to go through to get a gallery ready for MaxPreps. Some of those might not make it without a lot of work. Been there and done that.

Remember my remote camera setup behind the baseline? I had prefocused the 17-40 and those turned out pretty nice when I looked at them at 100%.

I have also been interested in either the 24-105 or the 24-70 but dang, that's a lot of moolah for me right now. I already have more gear than I should have.

Keep it up and report back.
I like the action.
Mike

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

spiralspirit
940 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 21, 2010 14:22 |  #20

exif says he's using a 1dmk3. great shots. The strobes make a huge difference in stopping the action. great photos.

canon 1dmk2* Canon XSi * Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX * Canon 50mm f/1.8 *

Zivnuska
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 27, 2010 20:25 |  #21

snyderman wrote in post #9436610 (external link)
The two in your second post (daughter and coach perhaps) are stellar!

dave

I was much happier with the sharpness obtained with the 70-200 in the second post. The last pic is not the coach but a player who happens to be one of the nation's top cross country runners. She was not only was the top runner in Kansas, she won every meet except one, was top in all classes at state, and posted a 14:40 time in the 4K cross country.

Not bad for a freshman. Nice young lady too. She and her twin sister are two fine basketball guards.

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 28, 2010 13:41 |  #22

I love my 24-105, but I dont strobe. If I did I would use that lens! these look great!

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

cwood
369 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 28, 2010 14:01 |  #23

That lens has a bit of a "different" look for a Canon lens IMHO. I can't decide if I like mine wide open at F4 either. Compared to my 70-200 F2.8 or really any of my other lenses I would not call it "sharp" but it still looks nice.

Great shots.

1DxII, 5D3, 6D
BLOG (external link)

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 30, 2010 11:08 |  #24

great info on strobes and demo on how it is setup. Keep up the great work Dr. Phil

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

sponsored links

3,246 views & 0 likes for this thread
HS BB 24-105 f/4; Need feedback
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.