Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 31 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 07:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My photographic nemesis... The Downy!

Dascro
460 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 31, 2010 07:59 |  #1

Still working to improve on my black and white colored birds. I am becoming more and more convinced that field light conditions are my biggest challenge with these.

The problem I have with the Downys around here is that they always want to stay on the "shaded" side of the trees. Of course this presents light management issues for me and the worse part is... the Downys don't seem to care. :lol:

Anyhow, here is my latest attempt.

C&C always appreciated.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i494.photobucke​t.com …ography/01-30-10Downy.jpg (external link)

Dave,
Canon 50D, EFS 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, 300 f/4L IS USM, 1.4 extender, Manfrotto Tripod with a 322RC head, enthusiasm and love of outdoors!

Stephen ­ Stephen
Cream of the Crop
6,337 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 31, 2010 08:45 |  #2

David you did very well here. If the bird's in the shade try a touch of fill flash sometime to see. You only need to dial the flash down to -2 or less. You only want to the image enough without it being obvious that flash has been used.

Stephen
Feel free to check out my website
www.stephenjstephen.co​m (external link)

My Gear List

1rushfan
598 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jan 31, 2010 09:32 as a reply to  @ Stephen Stephen's post |  #3

David, I took a peek at your EXIF data, and I have two suggestions that might help you catch these fast-moving, twitching, hopping little buggers.

1) Switch to shutter priority instead of aperture priority.
2) No less than 1/500 shutter speed, even if you are using a tripod/monopod.

Unless you are getting full sun and are getting shutter speeds of 1/500+ when in aperture priority, this is the only way I've had any success shooting smaller birds. You can always adjust the levels if the pic comes out a little underexposed.

Good luck and looking forward to more pics!

I have some gear
Always want more
My website (external link)
"Bringing light to a lifeless screen..." - Rush, Mission

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,304 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 31, 2010 09:38 |  #4

I think that is an excellent shot, Dave, and I would be happy to have taken it. I rarely see a downy and they are always high and on the shaded side of the tree.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

Dascro
THREAD ­ STARTER
460 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 31, 2010 11:40 |  #5

Stephen Stephen wrote in post #9509911 (external link)
David you did very well here. If the bird's in the shade try a touch of fill flash sometime to see. You only need to dial the flash down to -2 or less. You only want to the image enough without it being obvious that flash has been used.

Thanks for the suggestion Stephen. I appreciate it. Unfortunately the only flash I have is the one built in on the 50D.

1rushfan wrote in post #9510110 (external link)
David, I took a peek at your EXIF data, and I have two suggestions that might help you catch these fast-moving, twitching, hopping little buggers.

1) Switch to shutter priority instead of aperture priority.
2) No less than 1/500 shutter speed, even if you are using a tripod/monopod.

Unless you are getting full sun and are getting shutter speeds of 1/500+ when in aperture priority, this is the only way I've had any success shooting smaller birds. You can always adjust the levels if the pic comes out a little underexposed.

Good luck and looking forward to more pics!

Thanks 1rushfan. Appreciate the comment. Isn't proper exposure governed by both aperture and shutter speed though? With a change in one equal to a reciprocal change in the other. I understand the need for higher SS's in bird photography, but I am more and more believing that the challenge with black and white colored birds is first getting the proper light and then exposing properly. A combination of the right SS (higher is better) and aperture, assuming the light is workable. Not arguing at all as I'm just new to this hobby. Just explaining my understanding.

sparker1 wrote in post #9510131 (external link)
I think that is an excellent shot, Dave, and I would be happy to have taken it. I rarely see a downy and they are always high and on the shaded side of the tree.

Thanks Stan. Its become a personal challenge for me to improve my skills on black and white birds :). And its uphill all the way, but I think I'm gaining ground (for today!) :lol:.

Dave,
Canon 50D, EFS 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, 300 f/4L IS USM, 1.4 extender, Manfrotto Tripod with a 322RC head, enthusiasm and love of outdoors!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

611 views & 0 likes for this thread
My photographic nemesis... The Downy!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.