Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 May 2009 (Monday) 13:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

White BG - What to get to Achieve

johnboy00
201 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 02, 2009 15:24 |  #46

iamdogdog wrote in post #8036612 (external link)
Wow, just 3 lights and no post production for pure white background for a full body shoot. Thanks again for sharing Robert. I am pretty sure this thread will increase the sales of those deflectors, before reading this thread, I don't even know what a "deflector" is :)

You don't need those deflectors, or even 3 lights. Use your imagination.

sponsored links
iamdogdog
277 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 02, 2009 18:32 |  #47

yuriyo923 wrote in post #8036748 (external link)
:rolleyes: thinking I can mod something like this for a flash?? A reflector and a deflector...

hey, you beat me to that, I was already thinking about making some kind of "circle or rectangle" stuff in the middle of my stofen for my flash but I am not a handy guy at all for DIY. So please let us know what's your result.

450D>60D>5Dc>6D
18-55>17-55>24-105
50 1.8>30 1.4>50 1.4
35L, 100L, 85 1.8, 40 2.8
POTN

[godfather]
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,736 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 02, 2009 19:48 |  #48
bannedPermanent ban

That is Great Rob, I think I should hit the button and buy another light as what that single light posted by John would be a pain in ass during full body shots or when a pose need more space.

Elinchrom Studio Equipment Sale

Patiala (external link) City's Biggest Portal

Please contact me on aman.sarao@gmail.com (external link)

johnboy00
201 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 02, 2009 21:57 |  #49

Robert, can you please post a similar shot with a fair-skinned subject?

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 03, 2009 00:18 |  #50

johnboy00 wrote in post #8039036 (external link)
Robert, can you please post a similar shot with a fair-skinned subject?

Sure thing John.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

johnboy00
201 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 03, 2009 00:36 |  #51

The first two have no reflections at the feet. Are they not on tile board, or how do you kill the reflections without overexposing the subject? Thanks for posting.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 03, 2009 00:58 |  #52

johnboy00 wrote in post #8039879 (external link)
The first two have no reflections at the feet. Are they not on tile board, or how do you kill the reflections without overexposing the subject? Thanks for posting.

Hi John,

Correct. The first 2 are not on tileboard. They were shot using white seamless on the floor. I don't like to get locked in to using one method or style. It gets boring real fast when you do that. As you can see there is no reflection but there are shadows to indicate position and directionality of the main light.

Robert

johnboy00
201 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 03, 2009 13:38 |  #53

Thanks for the info. It's a very subtle difference, IMO.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 03, 2009 14:04 |  #54

johnboy00 wrote in post #8042934 (external link)
Thanks for the info. It's a very subtle difference, IMO.

No problem John. I think a great deal of lighting is based on subtleties, but those subtleties keep things interesting enough so as not to appear as if you only have one style.

I also shoot on white and don't always want to render it as pure white but it's all about controlling where the gradations happen and how much of a gradation. Sometimes, if not handled correctly it can appear 'dirty' or look as if the photographer didn't quite execute the lighting and the shot effectively.

At times it makes things a lot easier to shoot on gray because the gradations don't appear the same and don't make you feel that something went wrong with the lighting.

But like anything else, it's all about the intent of the photographer, model, art director, etc.

Robert

johnboy00
201 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 03, 2009 20:41 |  #55

I'm just an amateur trying to see what I can do with a couple lights, so I'm not the least bit concerned about my perceived "style" (I only do family and friends for free, and sometimes they get what they paid for). I do appreciate all your info and advice, though. This is a great place to learn for beginners such as myself, thanks to members like you.

beichh4046
165 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 15, 2009 13:09 |  #56

Robert,
Is this the type that would work for AB's?http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …sku=38434&is=RE​G#features (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 15, 2009 13:18 |  #57

beichh4046 wrote in post #8114040 (external link)
Robert,
Is this the type that would work for AB's?http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …sku=38434&is=RE​G#features (external link)

Yes it is.

Although I don't post or maintain this blog I had started a while back, I do leave it online and active.

Here is a complete list of Norman accessories that can be used with Alien Bees strobes. I was very much into those modifiers and accessories when I was using Bees.

All the Type 1 reflectors will fit and it opens up a lot of possibilities.

Norman Accessories compatible with Alien Bees strobes (external link).

Robert

mjcmb
41 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 01, 2010 13:48 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #58

Rob, a couple of questions:
- which elinchrom lights could be used for BG lighting? After using the reflector/deflector setup, is much power needed at 4 feet from a 9 foot background? She usually shoots at F7ish.
- which stands are you using? I am not sure what "autopole" is.
- when metering the background and not "incident", are you shielding the meter from the strobe? I am having trouble understanding all the jargon. :)

Sorry if these questions are somewhat weird. My wife is the photographer and I am looking into surprising her with some equipment to help get better results with the seamless white background.

Thanks,
Craig

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 01, 2010 14:41 |  #59

mjcmb wrote in post #9518796 (external link)
Rob, a couple of questions:
- which elinchrom lights could be used for BG lighting? After using the reflector/deflector setup, is much power needed at 4 feet from a 9 foot background? She usually shoots at F7ish.
- which stands are you using? I am not sure what "autopole" is.
- when metering the background and not "incident", are you shielding the meter from the strobe? I am having trouble understanding all the jargon. :)

Sorry if these questions are somewhat weird. My wife is the photographer and I am looking into surprising her with some equipment to help get better results with the seamless white background.

Thanks,
Craig

Hi Craig,

You can use any Elinchrom light as background lights. Even a D-Lite 2 is going to give you enough power in most situations.
BX250Ri's would work well. If you look around (B&H used department often has them) you can find the 600S or 300S which are the older analog versions of the RX series and quite often the prices are very good.

If budget is a consideration then either the D-Lite 2 or the BX250Ri would be all you need. Having more power in the background lights would be ok if they were RX strobes because of the wider range of control. WIth D-Lite's and BX or BXRi's you lose a stop of control. WHen I had 400BX's they were great but at times I needed the power lower for my background lights and I was limited so in the case of a small studio and 4 or 5 feet from the lights to the background then anything at 200 or 250 Watt seconds is going to give you all the power you need.

I don't use light stands for lights when I light for pure white. I use Manfrotto AutoPoles (external link) and the lights are attached to the poles using SuperClamp and SuperClamp hardware. I love the autopoles because they save so much floor space.

If I'm metering the backgrounds' reflectivity I stand at camera or subject position, point the 1 degree spot meter at various parts of the background to check for uniformity, and that's it. Ultimately I'm not concerned with small amounts of falloff from any other light source because it's completely insignificant in terms of contribution and the overall reflectivity is what's important.

Robert

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 01, 2010 17:51 |  #60

Wow Robert, your details have paid off!!!
Have you had the chance to test on something wider than 9'?
If so, was it as simple as moving the BG lights to 5' or 6' out?
Also, can't tell from the pics - how large is the deflector and is it formed or flat? If you could take a pic of it mounted that would be great.

Thanks for describing the setup - I've had issues with off paper background shadow reflections on tileboard. This seems like a great way to hot up the BG outside of the frame.

sponsored links

10,441 views & 0 likes for this thread
White BG - What to get to Achieve
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.