Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2010 (Monday) 18:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 500D & Nikon D90 curiousity gone!!!

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 01, 2010 18:07 |  #1

A few months back when i was still deciding what to get between these two cameras i read a lot, but when the time comes for me to buy i made a huge mistake (buying without ever handholding either one of these models).

i chose the 500D because its cheaper by $400 and i have a canon service center near me, 3 years warranty and crumpler strap:lol:. While the nikon D90 only has a 1year warranty from the Nikon Authorized distributor here in our country which is a few islands away...

then suddenly after a few weeks of excitement, i had a buyers remorse, i keep think what if i bought the nikon d90, they all say its better ergonomics wise, feature wise etc etc... so yesterday, i had a chance to buy 1 for my brother, i was expecting to get blown away by it, i tested it for a few hours checked its features, settings and buttons and came to the conclusion that i did made a good decision a few months back.

except for the shutter sound, grip and uhhhmmm what else? ahhh nothing else. i just did not like the layout and suddenly appreciated my 500D more.

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

sponsored links
That_Fox
"In the Witless Protection Program"
1,386 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 01, 2010 18:10 |  #2

It's a good camera, I started out with a rebel as well and it served me very well until I upgraded. My only real complaint about it was that it was a bit small in the hand and the burst rate, other than that it was a great camera. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours for several years to come :)

Apparently I've been dubbed Foxy.
Alamy (external link), website (external link) and gear

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 01, 2010 21:01 |  #3

500d is a good camera but the 90d is better IMO. Better AF accuracy and speed, very good low light performance and good fps rate. Canon's layout is a bit better especially their menu structure but I suppose it's based on what you're accustomed to.

ilumo
Goldmember
1,708 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 01, 2010 22:31 |  #4

monk3y wrote in post #9520575 (external link)
A few months back when i was still deciding what to get between these two cameras i read a lot, but when the time comes for me to buy i made a huge mistake (buying without ever handholding either one of these models).

i chose the 500D because its cheaper by $400 and i have a canon service center near me, 3 years warranty and crumpler strap:lol:. While the nikon D90 only has a 1year warranty from the Nikon Authorized distributor here in our country which is a few islands away...

then suddenly after a few weeks of excitement, i had a buyers remorse, i keep think what if i bought the nikon d90, they all say its better ergonomics wise, feature wise etc etc... so yesterday, i had a chance to buy 1 for my brother, i was expecting to get blown away by it, i tested it for a few hours checked its features, settings and buttons and came to the conclusion that i did made a good decision a few months back.

except for the shutter sound, grip and uhhhmmm what else? ahhh nothing else. i just did not like the layout and suddenly appreciated my 500D more.

I bought the 500d at first too, because I thought it was a better value, and I still believe that is the case. however, the d90 has much better low light performance, it has an awesome auto iso feature (you can select the minimum shutter), it has awesome out of the box jpg performance, much better auto white balance, and you can select WB temp in Kelvin, you can apply limited post processing right ON the camera, the continuous speed is better, the viewfinder is much better(pentaprism vs pentamirror), the autofocus is better, the grip is better (rebels grip SUCKS, but is 100x better once you grip it). haha. yea, I loved the d90, but the t1i is much cheaper, and it is still the better bang for the BUCK.
I played with my coworkers d90 almost everyday, so I knew it better than most nikon shooters :p

Body: 5D Mark IV
Glass: 50mm f/1.8 | 35mm f/1.4L USM | 17-40 f/4.0L USM | 24-70 f/2.8L II USM | 24-105 f/4.0L IS USM | 70-200 f/2.8L II IS USM | 85mm f/1.2L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS USM
Accessories: 430 EX II, 600 EX, tripods, umbrellas, and other goodies.

monk3y
THREAD ­ STARTER
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 01, 2010 23:17 |  #5

well yes, i also noticed the better AF performance in lowlight with its 18-105 kit lens, as well as a very quite AF... but after looking at the pictures taken with both camera, i liked the pictures from my 500D more.

i know that the d90 trumps the 500D feature wise but i like the button lay out of the canon better.

ilumo
Goldmember
1,708 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 01, 2010 23:27 |  #6

Enjoy the camera. It will be a great platform to learn on. :)

Body: 5D Mark IV
Glass: 50mm f/1.8 | 35mm f/1.4L USM | 17-40 f/4.0L USM | 24-70 f/2.8L II USM | 24-105 f/4.0L IS USM | 70-200 f/2.8L II IS USM | 85mm f/1.2L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS USM
Accessories: 430 EX II, 600 EX, tripods, umbrellas, and other goodies.

spiralspirit
940 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 01, 2010 23:28 |  #7

I like my 500d but I have noticed that I've missed quite a few shots due to bad focusing that I'm pretty sure isn't my fault. We aren't talking focus thats slightly off - sometimes the focus is completely off even though I have it at center point and spot metering. On moving subjects the keeper rate isn't amazing. I've been thinking of getting a 1dmark2 as another body and comparing.

canon 1dmk2* Canon XSi * Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX * Canon 50mm f/1.8 *

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 02, 2010 00:47 |  #8

Glad you like your camera. It is a good one.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Persephone
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 02, 2010 00:59 |  #9

spiralspirit wrote in post #9522599 (external link)
I like my 500d but I have noticed that I've missed quite a few shots due to bad focusing that I'm pretty sure isn't my fault. We aren't talking focus thats slightly off - sometimes the focus is completely off even though I have it at center point and spot metering. On moving subjects the keeper rate isn't amazing. I've been thinking of getting a 1dmark2 as another body and comparing.

A couple of things - is the center point on a very constrasty area? And what kind of lens are you using for moving objects? Are you using AI Servo mode?

EDIT: I noticed basketball was shot with a 50mm 1.8. That lens is not exactly known for a stellar AF. My experience was that it hunts fairly badly even on static objects and would probably be a complete mess for anything moving.

Gear list
"Do you think it was my choice to wed a man I did not love? Live a life I did not choose? I was betrayed by the very gods that once saw me as their own. But no more." - Περσεφόνη (external link), God of War

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 02, 2010 02:36 |  #10

That_Fox wrote in post #9520598 (external link)
It's a good camera, I started out with a rebel as well and it served me very well until I upgraded. My only real complaint about it was that it was a bit small in the hand and the burst rate, other than that it was a great camera. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours for several years to come :)

Same here. I started out with the XT and didn't like the fact that my picky and ring finger didn't fit on the body. The xxD line is a bit better about this, plus it has a magnesium body to boot!

IMHO, use what you have and then upgrade. The rebel line, as much as I refuse to use it (too small!!), honestly was a good stepping platform for me. I learned a lot through my XT.

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

monk3y
THREAD ­ STARTER
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 02, 2010 03:07 |  #11

it is also a bit small for me thats why i bought a grip :)

Deadeye*
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 02, 2010 03:52 |  #12

ups wrong post :)

Smialette
35 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 02, 2010 18:06 |  #13

spiralspirit wrote in post #9522599 (external link)

Speaking of focusing, do most people prefer to have it fixed at center point, or let it automatically find several focus points? I've tried both, but was just curious what the general consensus was.

monk3y
THREAD ­ STARTER
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 02, 2010 18:11 |  #14

fixed at the center point.. at least you'll know that when you point, it will focus on that exact spot

mshill
132 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 03, 2010 00:08 as a reply to  @ monk3y's post |  #15

I never let the camera determine the focus points. i may not always use the center focus point but I will always use just one focus point.

50D, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Canon 70-200 f2.8L, Kenko 1.5x Extender, Sigma EF-500 DG ST + Fong Dong

sponsored links

3,914 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 500D & Nikon D90 curiousity gone!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.