Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 31 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 20:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are these prices ok for on scene event printing?

43 ­ North
566 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 31, 2010 20:57 |  #1

I have my first sanctioned motocross race coming up in a couple of weeks that I am covering. I have a trailer ready to go to do on site printing and this will be it's first time out. I am wondering what you think of the following price scale.
8.5x11 - $10
8x10 - $9
5x7 - $7
4x6 - $4

Please let me know your thoughts. I would also like to know what you charge if you do on site printing or what you have seen people charge at events.
Thanks!

MIKE - Flickr (external link)
7D Gripped ~ T2i Gripped ~ Canon 28-135mm ~ Canon 50mm 1.4 USM ~ Canon 24-70mm f2.8L ~ Canon 70-200mm f4L ~ Alien Bees B1600, B800x2, B400 ~ 580EX II ~ Event Trailer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
www.43northphotography​.com (external link)

sponsored links
DanteCaspian
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 31, 2010 21:21 |  #2

Deciding pricing in business is dependent on a number of things. Current market value, raw materials cost, operating and equipment and your markup. That said, if you have done investigating and set a target of % of net gain for your area etc. then those should be good.
Around here, if I were to do, I would go with just offering only 8x10s at $10.00 At the most I would do 5x7 ($7.00 to $8.00) and 8x10 option at $10.00... bigger looks better on a wall.

In speed bike events around here, I have seen guys charge $20.00 for a set of 10-15 photos on a 1-2GB data stick, included that the customer can print from. The data stick from one photographer had his logo engraved on it. Good marketing/branding.

43 ­ North
THREAD ­ STARTER
566 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 31, 2010 21:27 |  #3

DanteCaspian wrote in post #9514322 (external link)
Deciding pricing in business is dependent on a number of things. Current market value, raw materials cost, operating and equipment and your markup. That said, if you have done investigating and set a target of % of net gain for your area etc. then those should be good.
Around here, if I were to do, I would go with just offering only 8x10s at $10.00 At the most I would do 5x7 ($7.00 to $8.00) and 8x10 option at $10.00... bigger looks better on a wall.

In speed bike events around here, I have seen guys charge $20.00 for a set of 10-15 photos on a 1-2GB data stick, included that the customer can print from. The data stick from one photographer had his logo engraved on it. Good marketing/branding.

I know what you mean about percentage and pricing, the thing is I don't have any competition around this area that I know of that is setup to do on site printing. Also to my knowledge I will be the only photog coverage at this event. I have a full time job so am not worried about a huge mark up. These prices will more than cover my costs for materials and give me a decent profit.

I was more of less just trying to see what others charge for on site printing.

7D Gripped ~ T2i Gripped ~ Canon 28-135mm ~ Canon 50mm 1.4 USM ~ Canon 24-70mm f2.8L ~ Canon 70-200mm f4L ~ Alien Bees B1600, B800x2, B400 ~ 580EX II ~ Event Trailer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

DanteCaspian
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 31, 2010 21:34 |  #4

Well then you have cornered and own the market! Hold on to that! ;)
Your prices are fair to me!

43 ­ North
THREAD ­ STARTER
566 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 31, 2010 21:35 |  #5

DanteCaspian wrote in post #9514429 (external link)
Well then you have cornered and own the market! Hold on to that! ;)
Your prices are fair to me!

Thanks for the response Robert!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

old ­ git
125 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 04, 2010 13:05 |  #6

Just an idea, but it might be an idea to cut down the options a bit, maybe just to sizes. Sorry from the UK so my sizes will be different, I do this kind of thing every weekend, Saturday's at a practise track, Sunday's at race meeting. I find the more sizes we offered the more mistakes made. Depends on how busy you will be & if you help.

At the track we offer three sizes, 7x5, A4, & A3, other sizes are avaliable but have to be ordered A2, A1. But if i'm busy even the A3 are done back at home.

Just as an idea, I sell alot of Framed HDR prints, we also hire out Helmet Cams, these are quick & easy and bring in good income.

Good Luck, hope your busy, just remember however busy you get dont panick & get a system sorted to check whos paid or not..

Here's my prices www.imagemx.webs.com (external link)

www.imagemx.webs.com (external link)
www.anaturalimage.co.u​k (external link)

Simon ­ Harrison
"Bag Snapper"
3,053 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 05, 2010 00:18 |  #7

43 North wrote in post #9514144 (external link)
I have my first sanctioned motocross race coming up in a couple of weeks that I am covering. I have a trailer ready to go to do on site printing and this will be it's first time out. I am wondering what you think of the following price scale.
8.5x11 - $10
8x10 - $9
5x7 - $7
4x6 - $4

Please let me know your thoughts. I would also like to know what you charge if you do on site printing or what you have seen people charge at events.
Thanks!

I get worried when I see posts like this............

I'm not being funny, but surely you would set your prices to cover all of your fixed and variable operating costs and then give you some profit margin as well? Only you know if the prices you've given above will allow you to do that against your predicted volume of sales. Whether I or anyone else think your prices are ok is irrelevant to an extent, unless you are then going to cut cost out of your business model so that the suggested prices allow you to cover costs and make a profit.

If your prices don't allow you to do that, then you either operate at a loss and plough your own money in to keep the business afloat, or you go out of business. Simple as that really.

Simon.

Simon

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/srhmoto/ (external link)

43 ­ North
THREAD ­ STARTER
566 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 05, 2010 01:30 |  #8

Simon Harrison wrote in post #9544743 (external link)
I get worried when I see posts like this............

I'm not being funny, but surely you would set your prices to cover all of your fixed and variable operating costs and then give you some profit margin as well? Only you know if the prices you've given above will allow you to do that against your predicted volume of sales. Whether I or anyone else think your prices are ok is irrelevant to an extent, unless you are then going to cut cost out of your business model so that the suggested prices allow you to cover costs and make a profit.

If your prices don't allow you to do that, then you either operate at a loss and plough your own money in to keep the business afloat, or you go out of business. Simple as that really.

Simon.

Well my only costs at this point since I already own all my equipment is the cost of the paper, ink, and gas to get to the event which is about 2 hours away. The paper runs me about 53 cents a sheet.

As I have previously stated, I have an outstanding full time job and this is just a side gig that I love to do as a hobby and to make a little money on the side. I am sure I am way cheaper than any other photogs in my area that would be doing the same thing. Sucks to be them I guess...

I think I mentioned before that my reason for posting this topic was to get a feel for what others are charging for similar on scene event printing, just trying to gauge if I am really low, high, or just right.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Simon ­ Harrison
"Bag Snapper"
3,053 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 05, 2010 10:31 |  #9

43 North wrote in post #9544989 (external link)
Well my only costs at this point since I already own all my equipment is the cost of the paper, ink, and gas to get to the event which is about 2 hours away. The paper runs me about 53 cents a sheet.

As I have previously stated, I have an outstanding full time job and this is just a side gig that I love to do as a hobby and to make a little money on the side. I am sure I am way cheaper than any other photogs in my area that would be doing the same thing. Sucks to be them I guess...

I think I mentioned before that my reason for posting this topic was to get a feel for what others are charging for similar on scene event printing, just trying to gauge if I am really low, high, or just right.

Don't forget your gear insurance, your public liability insurance, wear and tear on your equipment, depreciation on your equipment etc etc and not forgetting whatever you will be charged by the event organisers to have your trailer on site and make money from their event. That is unless you're going to fund all of that out of your pocket.

At the end of the day, you can charge what you want. It's entirely up to you to set your prices. One thing to bear in mind though. Whatever you set your prices at now is the value your clients and customers will put on your work. Trying to up your prices up at a later date will be very tough.

Set your prices too low, and some might think "I'm paying peanuts here, so I could be getting a monkey, so I'll get my pictures somewhere else". Don't dismiss the impact on true pro togs in your area either. A lot of gigs and work is all about who you know and work of mouth. Seriously under cutting eveyone else could give you a pretty poor reputation and close a lot of doors for you.

Simon

onesickpuppy
790 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 05, 2010 10:51 |  #10

Just my 3 cents worth.........

1. Size your prints based on format of sensor size.....in other words, there are "size standards" that work without cropping or much working in post processing. Stick to something that don't require cropping to get to final product. Your going to find that 8x10 requires cropping....8x12 don't.

2. Stick to two sizes, one small, one large......this will simplify work load. It would be best to have two printers setup based on size......otherwise you'll want to push multiple images of small on one sheet to minimize wasted paper.

3. Selling on site......demands a higher price. I get $20 for a 8x12 on an order from my site. If I was to attempt to do a on site sell.....it would be closer to $35. While on site will get you more sales than off a web site after the fact.....the point here is that there is a "prompt tax" for having it "now"!!

4. The main subject of this thread has many threads on various sites....and all always point back to someone like yourself entering in and "killing" the market since you have a day job. Please visit and read these threads in the Pro columns before introducing your pricing. Also consider the long term reasoning.........what if you CONTINUE to be the one to offer them your services.....you will find out the real cost of on site printing (ink...printer replacements....comput​er gear, etc) as well as you haven't really mentioned anything about the next point..........

5. You state that YOUR shooting the event.......and doing on site printing. How many people do you have working with you??? You'd need a memory card runner....possibly the same could do processing and printing (only as a order is taken).....a computer for PREVIEWING your shots to determine a order...etc. This point could go on and on....but I'm leading up to if this is a one man operation...your working against yourself !!

I had considered this myself many times.....and found that I agree with the most......if you want higher quick sales..print on site!! But there is a huge cost to get started...and you need multiple persons involved, to which adds cost. I find that if I have some marketing material and business cards....and spend fair amount of time walking the pits....my sales continue to grow and there is no pressure of maintaining on site gear being lugged around. And I get a lot of action by "working" the pits....!!!

My experience also says that on site sales are best suited to sports that your producing "people" images, not so much of equipment in action.

Again.....just my three pennies

Rod
Canon
1Dx2, 1Dx, 100 2, 100L 2.8 IS, 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70L 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 400L 2.8 IS, Sigma 120-300 2.8 Sport, 1.4X TC vIII, 2X TC vIII

43 ­ North
THREAD ­ STARTER
566 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 05, 2010 15:35 |  #11

Simon Harrison wrote in post #9546900 (external link)
...forgetting whatever you will be charged by the event organisers to have your trailer on site and make money from their event.

Don't dismiss the impact on true pro togs in your area either. A lot of gigs and work is all about who you know and work of mouth. Seriously under cutting eveyone else could give you a pretty poor reputation and close a lot of doors for you.

I don't pay anything to the event organizers, they seem to be excited to have me there. I don't mean to sound rude about disgarding other photogs but that is kind of my point..... in my area no one that I know of has a mobile trailer with onsite printing, therefore there really is no competition. I have worked hard to get my equipment and trailer setup to offer a good product on site.

As far as selling my items low and people thinking the quality is a reflection of the price..... I have a different thought on that. The motocross event I will be shooting with these prices are mainly blue collar people who have been impacted by the negative economy. I am some what counting on selling volume at lower prices rather than small volume at higher prices. In a way it is my way to share my hobby and benefit the riders with captures of their hobby. I make some money in profit and they can afford it. Just my point of view.

Great ideas and input though.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

43 ­ North
THREAD ­ STARTER
566 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 05, 2010 15:51 |  #12

onesickpuppy wrote in post #9547048 (external link)
Just my 3 cents worth.........

1. Size your prints based on format of sensor size.....in other words, there are "size standards" that work without cropping or much working in post processing. Stick to something that don't require cropping to get to final product. Your going to find that 8x10 requires cropping....8x12 don't.

2. Stick to two sizes, one small, one large......this will simplify work load. It would be best to have two printers setup based on size......otherwise you'll want to push multiple images of small on one sheet to minimize wasted paper.

3. Selling on site......demands a higher price. I get $20 for a 8x12 on an order from my site. If I was to attempt to do a on site sell.....it would be closer to $35. While on site will get you more sales than off a web site after the fact.....the point here is that there is a "prompt tax" for having it "now"!!

4. The main subject of this thread has many threads on various sites....and all always point back to someone like yourself entering in and "killing" the market since you have a day job. Please visit and read these threads in the Pro columns before introducing your pricing. Also consider the long term reasoning.........what if you CONTINUE to be the one to offer them your services.....you will find out the real cost of on site printing (ink...printer replacements....comput​er gear, etc) as well as you haven't really mentioned anything about the next point..........

5. You state that YOUR shooting the event.......and doing on site printing. How many people do you have working with you??? You'd need a memory card runner....possibly the same could do processing and printing (only as a order is taken).....a computer for PREVIEWING your shots to determine a order...etc. This point could go on and on....but I'm leading up to if this is a one man operation...your working against yourself !!

I had considered this myself many times.....and found that I agree with the most......if you want higher quick sales..print on site!! But there is a huge cost to get started...and you need multiple persons involved, to which adds cost. I find that if I have some marketing material and business cards....and spend fair amount of time walking the pits....my sales continue to grow and there is no pressure of maintaining on site gear being lugged around. And I get a lot of action by "working" the pits....!!!

My experience also says that on site sales are best suited to sports that your producing "people" images, not so much of equipment in action.

Again.....just my three pennies

Very good points. I will have an assistant at this event to run the cards and sort the photos. I know exactly what you mean about marketing. I have business cards and brochures to hand out during the event to boost online sales after the event is over. I will also be at the event the day before it actually starts to mingle with the people and handout the advertisement media.

I do appreciate the comments.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Simon ­ Harrison
"Bag Snapper"
3,053 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 05, 2010 17:17 |  #13

43 North wrote in post #9549164 (external link)
I don't pay anything to the event organizers, they seem to be excited to have me there. I don't mean to sound rude about disgarding other photogs but that is kind of my point..... in my area no one that I know of has a mobile trailer with onsite printing, therefore there really is no competition. I have worked hard to get my equipment and trailer setup to offer a good product on site.

As far as selling my items low and people thinking the quality is a reflection of the price..... I have a different thought on that. The motocross event I will be shooting with these prices are mainly blue collar people who have been impacted by the negative economy. I am some what counting on selling volume at lower prices rather than small volume at higher prices. In a way it is my way to share my hobby and benefit the riders with captures of their hobby. I make some money in profit and they can afford it. Just my point of view.

Great ideas and input though.

A couple of things to be aware of, or at least seriously question.

There's likely to be a really, really good reason that no one in your area has a trailer and is doing what you're proposing to do. You really need to understand what that reason is. If there's no professional doing it, I would reckon it's because there's no money to be made at it. Could be something else, but money (or lack of it) WILL factor somewhere.

The way you describe your customer base would indictate that buying prints would be way down on the list of what they would spend money on. I would be very concerned that they will either not want to pay whatever price you end up setting, or they will wait until you have the images online and take what they want from there to use on Facebook or other such things. Whether you have a watermark on them or not is irrelevant.

At the end of the day, give it your best shot and I sincerely hope that it works out for you and you don't end up seriously out of pocket.

Simon

Simon

43 ­ North
THREAD ­ STARTER
566 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 05, 2010 21:14 |  #14

Simon Harrison wrote in post #9549842 (external link)
A couple of things to be aware of, or at least seriously question.

There's likely to be a really, really good reason that no one in your area has a trailer and is doing what you're proposing to do. You really need to understand what that reason is. If there's no professional doing it, I would reckon it's because there's no money to be made at it. Could be something else, but money (or lack of it) WILL factor somewhere.

The way you describe your customer base would indictate that buying prints would be way down on the list of what they would spend money on. I would be very concerned that they will either not want to pay whatever price you end up setting, or they will wait until you have the images online and take what they want from there to use on Facebook or other such things. Whether you have a watermark on them or not is irrelevant.

At the end of the day, give it your best shot and I sincerely hope that it works out for you and you don't end up seriously out of pocket.

Simon

As far as no one else doing it you have to take into consideration the part of the country that I live in. My entire STATE of Idaho only has about 1 million people. The highest population area is Boise with maybe about 300-350,000 people. I live just outside of that area in a city of about 8,000. In my city there is only ONE professional photography studio and he does not do any sports type photos at all.

The area where this upcoming race is is literally in the middle of the desert, 47 mile long track. In the Boise metro area there is only one other event type trailer but that guy only shoots race car type stuff.

I don't believe that the lack of photogs having an event trailer is because a lack of demand for it, I simply think there are not a lot of photogs to begin with, let alone ones that would put together an event trailer.

Think about these statistics and compare them to the populations you live and work in.

Never the less I will certainly post back up here after the event and let you know how it went.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

dlpasco
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 05, 2010 21:34 |  #15

Mike,

I don't know much about pricing but I was at the Wyoming Amateur Hockey League Midget State Tournament in Rock Springs last year. The tournament organizers brought in a guy from SLC to shoot the games. I believe he was charging $20 for an 8x10. I didn't get a complete price list.

Dan

sponsored links

3,487 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are these prices ok for on scene event printing?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.