Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 00:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d sent in 4 times for AF problems, still unresolved, what recourse do I have now?

garycoleman
450 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 05, 2010 00:28 |  #1

It is still having AF problems under the basic one shot, center point focus so I haven't played with all other AF options yet. Every time I press the shutter button half way, the focus distance changes and the OOF pictures show this.

1st time - they confirmed AF inconsistency problems, did adjustments to the AF.

2nd time - they said it was in spec and still did electronic adjustment to AF.

3rd time - again they said it was in spec and still did electronic adjustment to AF.

4th time - again they said it was in spec and still did electronic adjustment to AF. On the note, they recommend to use AI Servo and high shutter speed. What the hell? They act like I have no idea what I am doing. The sample shots I sent them were static objects and camera was on a tripod when I took them.

Lead tech worked on it the 3rd and 4th time.

I know it's not me because my XSi focuses accurately and consistently under the same shooting conditions as the 7D. I am tired of sending it back and forth and having them keep saying nothing is wrong with it. It seems like all of the "electronic adjustments" they did didn't do squat. It's pretty frustrating that my 7D performs worse than my XSi. All of the 7D options do me no good when it can't AF properly.

Should I try to talk to someone in Canon customer relations? Or should I just file a report with the BBB? Or is there a better way to handle this? I just want to smash this camera right now.

Update:

It's great to say my issues with the 7D are resolved now.:)

Canon customer relations asked me to ship my camera to their engineering department for evaluation since the repair center couldn't fix it after 4 tries .

Today I received a brand new 7D from Canon customer relations and it seems to work flawlessly.

When I shipped my old 7D back to Canon, I had only shipped the body and kept the accessories just like when I sent it to the repair center. Customer relations sent me a full 7D kit with all of the accessories. And she told me I didn't have to send my old accessories back and just to keep them. So I now have 2 batteries, straps, cables, etc.. :mrgreen:

Canon 5D MKIII | Canon 60D | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 580EX II

sponsored links
FatCat0
519 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 05, 2010 00:35 |  #2

Call and ask to speak to a manager. Have that person transfer you to customer relations and keep just explaining your story and how frustrated you are until you work your way to the top and then have that person try and work things out with you (based on how you want to approach the situation). Maybe see if you can trade it in for a new one/toward a different model.

deadpass
Goldmember
3,353 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 05, 2010 01:05 |  #3

How old is the body?

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​m (external link)

The ­ Moose
Cream of the Crop
5,106 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 05, 2010 02:14 |  #4

Isn't there a rule that x amount of times sent in without fixing the problem means it's a lemon and you deserve a replacement? I'd certainly look into getting a replacement at no cost under those grounds but I'd look for some official documents or precedents before going ahead with it.

freshcargo
361 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 05, 2010 03:45 as a reply to  @ The Moose's post |  #5

the XSi and 7D will not perform the same under similar conditions. You might have a bad copy but I suspect it could be user error, go to a local store and do a comparison.

1DsMk III, 5DII, 17-40L. 135L. 70-200mmL II. 50mm F/1.4

deadpass
Goldmember
3,353 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 05, 2010 04:01 |  #6

The Moose wrote in post #9545102 (external link)
Isn't there a rule that x amount of times sent in without fixing the problem means it's a lemon and you deserve a replacement? I'd certainly look into getting a replacement at no cost under those grounds but I'd look for some official documents or precedents before going ahead with it.

I'm not sure what purchases are covered with lemon laws, but if any state would cover it, California would.

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​m (external link)

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 05, 2010 04:08 |  #7

I would try a second body and see if it has the same issue.

drdiesel1
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 05, 2010 04:10 as a reply to  @ mastertech01's post |  #8

Send it back and demand an upgrade to a different camera ;)

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 05, 2010 04:47 |  #9

i returned mine when it happened, my first one kept overheating the video, traded that for a new body, tried at home and the af was of on my lenses - so i went back and demanded a refund. some hassle but i got it.

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

Olly_K1
151 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 05, 2010 05:45 |  #10

any chance of some pics ?

foureightysix photography (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Canon 1D MKIV | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L |Canon 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,872 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 05, 2010 07:30 |  #11

You focus on a static object camera tripod mounted and the object is OOF. Is it OOF in a consistent manner? Where is it focusing, front or back?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,872 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 05, 2010 07:30 |  #12

Olly_K1 wrote in post #9545615 (external link)
any chance of some pics ?

That would help.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 05, 2010 07:37 |  #13

Here in the UK all our rights are with the retailer. Here I'd simply return it with written evidence (copies - not the originals) of the repair attempts and demand a complete replacement. If there are any quibbles, or if the retailer wants to involve Canon again, a quick trip to the Citizens Advise Bureau normally makes people see reason. It shows you mean business and has worked for me on two seperate occasions.

It does seem that the 7D has more threads about this than other bodies.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

rakesh
225 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 05, 2010 08:02 |  #14

I also have similar problem. My 7D is showing Focus point where I focussed the image but in actual it shift focus to some other point. Compared it with their Demo Body and Demo Body was Tack sharp. Sent it for servicing today.

Gears:
My WildLife Gallery :
http://www.justwildlif​e.com (external link)
My Kids Project Galleries : http://www.facebook.co​m …otography/15851​1907574485 (external link)

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 05, 2010 08:29 |  #15

garycoleman:

Go to this post about 7D focus (or lack of!) issues: https://photography-on-the.net …hread.php?t=821​409&page=2 and read response #21.

Just set my 7D to the AF settings recommended and it appears to be focusing 'better' now. Proof will be under real shooting conditions.

Just like you stated, I too was using the single point [] spot focus and accurate focus was pretty much a result of 'dumb luck' using that setting. I tried microadjusting my lenses to the camera but each time, the camera (centerpoint, single-shot and on a tripod!) wouldn't focus accurately more than once in a row. I feel your frustration.

Give the info posted above a try and see if it doesn't start working better for you. And I agree, there are definitely focus issues associated with the 7D. It's not just YOU!!!

Good luck.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

sponsored links

7,437 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d sent in 4 times for AF problems, still unresolved, what recourse do I have now?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.