Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Feb 2010 (Thursday) 21:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you do when your on vacation? Do you bring all your expensive gear?

w8jy
99 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 05, 2010 09:57 |  #61

When I travel, ALL of my gear goes with me in a large Pelican case. Each day, I load up the Thinktank belt carriers that I will need for that day's shooting. If it is a multi-day stay, the Pelican case stays in the hotel, and only the belt and harness with the appropriate lenses are taken with me.

Obviously, insurance is essential- it can transform what would be a major loss into a mere inconvenience.

:lol: Jess
Canon 1DIII, 17-40L, 28-135, 50mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 70-200 f4 IS, 100-400, 580EXII, 430EX, lots of lighting gear and other junk.

sponsored links
Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 05, 2010 10:06 |  #62

Hamfist wrote in post #9546043 (external link)
It's a camera...not a Faberge egg. That's my perspective, at least.

I treat my 85l as if it's a faberge egg. (actually in reality, I don't.) lol.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,327 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Feb 05, 2010 10:20 |  #63

If I'm going to a place that I know I probably won't visit again for a very long time or never, I'd pack it all, bracket all my exposures, and carry a 20 pound backpack wherever I went. (The bracketing was in the film days.)

As for cherry blossoms in DC, I did this once. Walked around the entire tidal basin and got one shot of mallards among the blossoms that was not a keeper. Everybody else -- hundreds of them -- were getting great shots of essentially the same thing that you see in the gift shops. I did have somebody look at me like I was insane because I went for a shot of a kite against the Washington Monument when everybody knows that I should have been shooting cherry trees. Or maybe it was my white lens. I don't know.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

sf_loft
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 05, 2010 10:29 |  #64

Insurance my friend. I'm covered from theft or accidental damage if I were to ever drop any of my equipment. It's a personal articles policy from State Farm that will replace your equipment at full purchase price. I pay about $97/yr to cover $8500 worth of camera and lenses.

I bring all my lenses on my vacation. It's not that often that you go to a new place so I want to make sure that I capture the experience. I don't carry all my equipment because it would just be too heavy, but I will pick a couple of lenses and leave the rest in the hotel safe. It all depends on the activity that I'm going to be doing that day. The 35 1.4L will always go with me because you never know where you need more light. If I'm going to be doing a lot of walking, I'll just bring the 24-70 and a fast prime and call it a day.

The fact that Japan is a densely packed city, I would bring a wide angle and a mid telephoto.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 05, 2010 10:55 |  #65

joedlh wrote in post #9546814 (external link)
If I'm going to a place that I know I probably won't visit again for a very long time or never, I'd pack it all, bracket all my exposures, and carry a 20 pound backpack wherever I went. (The bracketing was in the film days.)

As for cherry blossoms in DC, I did this once. Walked around the entire tidal basin and got one shot of mallards among the blossoms that was not a keeper. Everybody else -- hundreds of them -- were getting great shots of essentially the same thing that you see in the gift shops. I did have somebody look at me like I was insane because I went for a shot of a kite against the Washington Monument when everybody knows that I should have been shooting cherry trees. Or maybe it was my white lens. I don't know.

I've gone early on a Saturday during the CBF and carried my 2 camera bodies, one with the 24-70 and the other with the 70-200 2.8 IS like machine guns. People stared, but I was not nearly as nerdy as the guy with the 50 pound tripod following me. :)

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

neurorog
114 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 05, 2010 12:05 |  #66

Another option that may not have been mentioned is to rent a lense or two (with insurance). I did that last summer and it was a great way to try something new on vacation and find whether something I wanted fit the way I took pictures. I ended up making one purchase afterwards, and in another case, deciding it was not for me.

7D / 28 1.8 / 50 1.4 / 85 1.8 / 135 2 / 300 4 IS / 1.4x TC

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 05, 2010 12:22 |  #67

So far with my 5DmkII: Hawaii, yes. Japan, yes. Las Vegas, yes. L.A., yes (with care). I'm a "chicken" traveler so tend to go to "safe" places. Tough street shooting is out of my comfort zone.

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 05, 2010 12:38 |  #68

I am going to Japan mid-March. First work, then vacations... I will take the 5Dii, a few lenses and a flash. I am not sure which lenses, but the 24-105 and 135L are definitely making the trip. We will be in Tokyo and I am planning the regular wide angle shots and some candid portraits. I have been to Tokyo a number of times, but my gear keeps getting better and I am always hoping to get better shots... I may also go shopping to add a lens while in Japan.

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

CO ­ Mac
305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 05, 2010 12:41 |  #69

tkbslc wrote in post #9543790 (external link)
I guess I just wonder why you spent $5k in camera gear if you didn't want to take pictures. What is the point of a camera that sits at home where it is safe? I probably wouldn't take everything because I like to travel somewhat light, but at least take the body and a couple primes if nothing else.

+!

It's kind of like buying a nice car only to leave it in the garage and let it collect dust. We buy all of this expensive gear to use it.

John
Canon 6D
17-40L, 24-105L, 70-300L, Nifty Fifty

DoomMan
543 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 05, 2010 12:54 |  #70

Depending on what im doing:

Everything

1ds, 16-35,70-200, flash, and chargers

1ds, 24-70,flash,chargers

1ds,35L,chargers

1ds, 85L, chargers

5dII |135L| 35L| 85L| 24-70L| 540ez
www.DaneVanLizzen.com (external link)

LBI
127 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 05, 2010 13:18 |  #71

The one and only time my gear was stolen was when it was left at home. I'll be more worried of your gear that you DON'T take on your trip.

5D | 7D | 50 1.4 | 24-105L | 70-200 2.8L | 580EX

Apollo.11
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 05, 2010 13:42 |  #72

SuzyView wrote in post #9545832 (external link)
Just asking, are you downloading the images daily? I would do that and if you have a photobucket or flickr type account, put the keepers on that in case you lose your cards or the cards fail. It is the best "safe" place for traveling. Also, your family and friends can see what you did.

Great idea. I have a zenfolio account I can upload to.

Some Stuff

Apollo.11
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 05, 2010 13:42 |  #73

Hamfist wrote in post #9546043 (external link)
It's a camera...not a Faberge egg. That's my perspective, at least.

If it was a Faberge egg, I could sell it and get more camera gear. :D

Some Stuff

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Gallery: 555 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 05, 2010 14:01 |  #74

Apollo.11 wrote in post #9543557 (external link)
I have 2 short trips coming up in March. One to Japan and another to Washington DC. Unfortunately I'll miss the cherry blossom festival in both places. I can't wait to give my new 5D2 a workout, but here's my dilemma.

I've been shopping around for a 24-70L and a 70-200 f4 IS. Great lenses, but if I buy them, I really wouldn't feel that comfortable carrying around ~$5k in gear (not to mention it's kind of heavy). I could bring my 40D and my efs lenses, but what's the point of having a 5D and leaving it at home on a great trip.

So what do you guys do when you're on vacation?

My simple answer is insurance, Get a rider on your homeowners policy that covers damage or theft and it makes you a lot more at ease

Personally, I bought my 7D, I'm a photographer, I am not about to go and leave my favorite camera at home because im worried about it, I will regret it, and I will regret it a LOT

For the record, when my EOS-3 broke some years ago i was going to be leaving in a week to Washington DC, in a rush i went to Cirucit City and bought a digital point and shoot to take on the trip..and i didnt chinse out, i bought what i thought would be a very good one

I regretted it, Every moment i was there, the point and shoot couldnt expose anything right, despite being a more advanced model, the image quality was lackluster, the IS sucked and didnt work at all (Especially compared to my 24-105 IS) the viewfinder burned my retina, the rear screen was ok but then i looked like a tosser while shooting it, oh and every three steps i took there was a photographer with a Canon camera and a L lens just seeming to rub it in my face that mine was home..

It went back VERY fast after i returned and saw my pictures...Especially since christmas happened soon after i came back and i got my EOS 30D :D

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 05, 2010 18:44 |  #75

jeppoy wrote in post #9545389 (external link)
I was just in the Philippines, went to Manila Bay, Palawan, Batangas and I brought everything with me. I wasn't too afraid of it getting stolen or anything, I even took the bus going to Batangas with just me and my girl and I didn't worry either. When we were in Palawan, it was raining hard and we were rding the traditional boats and it was raining and splashing. I had no worries either since I got the proper bag for it (Lowepro Flipside 400). It's how you handle yourself and your equipment wherever you go, with insurance or not.

well yes, i am a local here so i am not worried at all with robbery, i'm quite familiar with the places and spots here... i am only worried if like the one you said about riding the traditional outrigger boat, its very common to hear news of those boats sinking etc... but other than that i am not worried of my gears at all. i carry everything (which isn't that much) everywhere.

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

sponsored links

11,123 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you do when your on vacation? Do you bring all your expensive gear?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.