Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 27 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 18:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My New Website

Jonta
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 28, 2010 14:15 |  #16

sapearl wrote in post #9490633 (external link)
Wow - I'm pretty impressed that you're so sure at such a young age Jonta :D.
I admire your confidence.;)

*is flattered*

The absolute majority of what I write is based on "Don't make me think (external link)" (book) by Steve Krug, and "User Interface Design for Programmers (external link)" (online article) by Joel Spolsky. Or at least; I recommend these to people who design websites.

Part is from experience. I use the internet myself, and am part of a community of people knowledgeable of IT and the likes, which is often highly critical, and where my viewpoints would not be seen as extreme at all. Every so often, people are offended by the seeming lack of care I have for the threadstarter's feeling, or rough comments I give. No, I do not wrap my views in sugar, I refuse to take the time for it. No, I will not list positive things, that is for other people to do, and I do not see the point in me doing the same. Only very occasionally will I say something I like about the page.

Yes; I am working on a solution for giving feedback, where the reasons are properly explained.

Perhaps one day your viewpoints will broaden a bit. You'll discover at some point that often it's the folks who may not agree to your way of thinking or - even mine for that matter - than can be the lucrative clients who would be in a position to purchase the goods or services on your website.

I am not sure which of my points can validly be classified as a point of view. A lot of research is done on the field of usability.

You specifically quote my saying of "the few that like it, aren't worth it". I really recommend you read the SO-thread I linked to; lots of great reasons for keeping music away from websites there.

Bottom line: Its negative effects are much greater than the positive effects.

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 28, 2010 14:28 |  #17

Oh, don't get me wrong - I hate being blasted by music the moment I enter a website, especially with no sign of an OFF SWITCH. A lot of folks view at work, while some just enjoy the quiet solitude of their home, and loud music can be a nasty surprise.

I work in IT also - have been in the network end since '93. I understand the importance of helpful criticism but have always viewed constructive commentary as more helpful to the novice and more encouraging in the long run. I also believe in saying good things too..... offering praise where I feel it has been earned. There's nothing wrong with being nice now and then - it makes for a more enjoyable world ;).

Jonta wrote in post #9491439 (external link)
*is flattered*

The absolute majority of what I write is based on "Don't make me think (external link)" (book) by Steve Krug, and "User Interface Design for Programmers (external link)" (online article) by Joel Spolsky. Or at least; I recommend these to people who design websites.

Part is from experience. I use the internet myself, and am part of a community of people knowledgeable of IT and the likes, which is often highly critical, and where my viewpoints would not be seen as extreme at all. Every so often, people are offended by the seeming lack of care I have for the threadstarter's feeling, or rough comments I give. No, I do not wrap my views in sugar, I refuse to take the time for it. No, I will not list positive things, that is for other people to do, and I do not see the point in me doing the same. Only very occasionally will I say something I like about the page......

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

cdwise
90 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 28, 2010 15:22 |  #18

I find the site homepage very attractive but I wouldn't stay on it because of the horizontal scroll. I'm also not wild about the moving stars or the purple jell buttons but the concept I like. Unfortunately, as soon as I clicked to another page the difference in style between the gallery page and the home page was jarring. Then music started playing so I was out of there. Music as others pointed out is a very personal choice and people frequently browse the net in situations where it is inappropriate for music to suddenly appear. Then there is the copyright issue re permission to use the chosen music on your site.

More people are looking at sites on their iPhone/iPods which have no Flash support whatsover. When the iPad actually starts appearing in people's hands that's a problem that is only going to get worse for Flash only sites.

Just a few things to think about.

Cheryl D Wise
http://by-expression.com (external link)
Canon Rebel T1i

jjaenagle
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 28, 2010 16:32 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Jonta wrote in post #9490430 (external link)
Switchblade: No HTML-alternative just isn't a realistic option.1: Users neither know, nor care. 2: Your loss.Yes you can. I'm just going to assume that you are going to do so in the future, and answer straight away: Jagged images are semisynonymous to pixelated images. In other words: It looks like their resolutions are too low.The same as Google and Wikipedia (external link).The title on your website is "Wix.com - Exhibition built by eastcoastcaptures based on Alternative Arcade"No, you will remove the music (external link).The few that like it aren't worth it.I know the music on your website, you don't know my music. Therefore, I can judge which is the best.

Look; Internetusers are harsh in their way of thinking. Do you know the number of other websites they could be on instead of yours? Do you know how many other websites they have been on? Do you know how picky they are?

What I present as my own views (which I am often resented for at POTN), are more akin to the unexpressed views of many internetusers. You said you wouldn't take this to the personal level, and neither do I.

Have a Happy January.

WOW... really?

the site was not one of my favorites, but it was very unique - which i really appreciated... everyone pretty much pointed out the minuses, but hopefully you will find some GOOD advice here.

Instagram (external link)Website (external link)
GEAR & FEEDBACK

doubledragon
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 28, 2010 16:46 |  #20

i think everyone's being too nice here... my experience while on your website was similar to a root canal.

everything was bad. I could say "lose the music" or "change this or that" but that is missing the point.

scrap it and start over.

Philadelphia Wedding Photography (external link)
gear list

MLphoto
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 29, 2010 01:55 |  #21

Welcome... I took a few minutres browsing your site... The most obvious thing to be is all the cheesy designs used... Remember this is a photography website, the focus needs to be pointed at your photos. I found most time looking at your design and background than the actual pictures.

http://flickr.com/marc​el-lech-photography (external link)

Jonta
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2010 02:25 |  #22

sapearl wrote in post #9491542 (external link)
There's nothing wrong with being nice now and then - it makes for a more enjoyable world ;).

Mm, this just gives me new motivation to work on the solution.

doubledragon wrote in post #9492555 (external link)
everything was bad. I could say "lose the music" or "change this or that" but that is missing the point.

scrap it and start over.

Yeah... so, wait... what? "everything was bad". Well; 1: You are wrong. 2: What is the threadstarter supposed to do with such rubbish information?

binliner
711 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 29, 2010 03:12 |  #23

Jonta wrote in post #9495642 (external link)
Yeah... so, wait... what? "everything was bad". Well; 1: You are wrong.

This is all about opinion and that is his opinion, other people are allowed to have them and just because you don't agree with them it doesn't make them 'wrong'!

Justin
website (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link) | blog (external link)
5D II | 7D | G1-X | 17-40mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f4 | 300mm f4 | 1.4x II | Lee filters

Jonta
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2010 05:30 |  #24

binliner wrote in post #9495739 (external link)
This is all about opinion and that is his opinion, other people are allowed to have them and just because you don't agree with them it doesn't make them 'wrong'!

True. It is, however, quite useless to say "everything was bad" and "scrap it and start over.". How is the threadstarter supposed to be able to improve the site with such advice?

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 29, 2010 13:11 |  #25

lol, ok, i'm usually pretty restrained about blurting out harsh criticism, but this site takes the cake. But... hmm, actually, I'd probably be best to leave it at that. I'm a graduated designer and even my fellow peers didn't quite "get it". Not everybody has the designer's eye. I could only handle looking at the site for a few seconds... had to shut 'er down. Looked like a mangled DVD menu from a low budget 'fast and the furious' look alike movie. And what's with the mile-long domain name? Who is going to remember all of that? Ok, I'm sincerely sorry. I'm being a snobby ass and it's really not like me. It's nothing personal. Not a jab at you. I just thought you may want to get an insight from someone's initial glance at your site.... because... first impressions are so very important. I'm sure you'll get good pointers on the actual content which I was too snotty to provide. Sorry... lol.. I just couldn't do it :)

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

Jonta
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 03, 2010 14:45 |  #26

Right.

Pearlallica, doubledragon and others who've basically said "Start over. This isn't any good": What is the threadstarter supposed to learn from this?

1: Realise that you do not need flash. XHTML and CSS are great.
2: Learn the basics of webdesign. I reccomend the highly googlable "Don't make me think" by Steve Krug, and "User Interface Design for Programmers" by Joel Spolsky.
3: Make your website, and usability-test it. That last bit might sound scary, but it isn't any worse than grabbing a familymember and asking for a brutally honest opinion. You are more than welcome to send me a PM if you wish me to test it.
4: Simplification + Usability = Right direction.

DarkKnight369
220 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 05, 2010 14:32 |  #27

Jonta wrote in post #9534040 (external link)
Right.

Pearlallica, doubledragon and others who've basically said "Start over. This isn't any good": What is the threadstarter supposed to learn from this?

1: Realise that you do not need flash. XHTML and CSS are great.
2: Learn the basics of webdesign. I reccomend the highly googlable "Don't make me think" by Steve Krug, and "User Interface Design for Programmers" by Joel Spolsky.
3: Make your website, and usability-test it. That last bit might sound scary, but it isn't any worse than grabbing a familymember and asking for a brutally honest opinion. You are more than welcome to send me a PM if you wish me to test it.
4: Simplification + Usability = Right direction.

+1 This person knows what they are talking about...

Having an all flash site is generally a bad idea. It can completely kill your search engine optimization. Supposedly Google can read text out of the flash player, but its not nearly as good as reading XHTML sites. Google looks for text off your top level page, and if you have a flash file there instead its not helping in your rankings. Flash should only be used for a purpose and when necessary.

I am not trying to be mean, but the design of this site is simply terrible. I would say it would drive more business away than it would bring it. My suggestion would be to google modern web design, web 2.0, modern photographer websites. Get a feel for current web trends, where web design is going, and what cutting edge sites look like.

Gripped 7D || Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC OS || EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 || EF 85mm f1.8 || Nifty Fifty

Website (external link)
|| Photography Facebook (external link)

TomM1
58 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 05, 2010 15:12 as a reply to  @ DarkKnight369's post |  #28

The music and flash effects are annoying and distract from the photos.
The reason for using flash on websites often seems to be "because I can".:rolleyes:

***** (external link)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 05, 2010 16:43 |  #29

TomM1 wrote in post #9549037 (external link)
The music and flash effects are annoying and distract from the photos.
The reason for using flash on websites often seems to be "because I can".:rolleyes:

This.

IMHO, of course. ;)

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 05, 2010 18:36 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

I have to agree with doubledragon, though I hope the OP finds an alternative website or someone who can design them with one.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

3,245 views & 0 likes for this thread
My New Website
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.