Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 27 May 2008 (Tuesday) 07:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fake Model/Tilt Shift Shots

tewlman
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 04, 2010 21:34 |  #1516

my first try...what's the verdict?

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4331091725_fa100c5236_b.jpg

My Gear My Flickr (external link)
some feedback
Like my photos? Then "like" my Facebook page! (external link)

sponsored links
naiirb
60 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 04, 2010 21:54 as a reply to  @ tewlman's post |  #1517

Heres a few from Europe. Sorry for the lack of quality, these were taken on a Canon 5MP P&S lol.

Cinque Terre

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 503 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Athens

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Florence

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Canon T1i / Canon 18-55 IS / Canon 50 1.8

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 04, 2010 22:30 |  #1518

tewlman wrote in post #9543793 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Not too sure you've pulled it off here, perhaps drop the plane of focus to get the whole of the boats in focus. A low viewpoint such as this can be faked but it's tough. Have another go though :)

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Matt ­ Peters
Cream of the Crop
12,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 05, 2010 05:23 as a reply to  @ Anke's post |  #1519

QUOTED IMAGE

It doesn't work for me .. Seems like someone has smudged a finger across the lens! :cry:

naiirb wrote in post #9543965 (external link)
Heres a few from Europe. Sorry for the lack of quality, these were taken on a Canon 5MP P&S lol.

Cinque Terre

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 503 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Athens

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Florence

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Very cool! :D

The 16th UK South-East "The Cooper Crawley Creche" Thread (All Welcome)
1D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4L | 50mm f/1.8 MKII | 430ex x2 | RF-602 triggers x4

evo5ive
302 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 05, 2010 06:03 |  #1520

QUOTED IMAGE

Hey I know that place.. I live there! :D

Vacation I assume?

Kirk
Website (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link)

tewlman
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 05, 2010 06:50 |  #1521

yeah, was down there last month for a week. raining and snowing here today, would be nice to be back there.

thanks for the feedback, will go back to the laboratory and try again.

some feedback

tewlman
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 05, 2010 16:58 |  #1522

2nd try...is this one better?

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2781/4332873395_91811a2c35_b.jpg

some feedback

tewlman
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 05, 2010 17:07 |  #1523

for the record, the first attempt was without using any tutorials and just winging it (it looked like it, I agree). try 2 was the efforts of a google search for fake tilt shift in photoshop...

Thanks for your feedback

some feedback

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 05, 2010 17:32 |  #1524

I prefer the second it is much better, there are some links to tutorials at the start of the thread

Adrian
SE UK Thread here***Kit***smugmug (external link)
Wedding photography kent (external link)
Wedding photographer kent (external link)

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 05, 2010 19:08 |  #1525

tewlman wrote in post #9549779 (external link)
for the record, the first attempt was without using any tutorials and just winging it (it looked like it, I agree). try 2 was the efforts of a google search for fake tilt shift in photoshop...

Thanks for your feedback

Looks better. Water is very tough to do that's for sure.
As Adrian suggests, check out the tutorials linked in the first post or there is a website that will do it for you too :)

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

tewlman
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 05, 2010 20:26 |  #1526

3rd time is a charm...

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4333213917_be679875b3_b.jpg

and another...

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2685/4333213757_0716ccca35_b.jpg

some feedback

CBownPhoto
244 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 05, 2010 20:46 |  #1527

You really should try blurring based off of distance and not just blurring everything except the middle. Just my two cents.

Canon 1ds Mark II :. EF 24mm f/1.4 L USM II :. EF 35-350mm f/3.5-5.6L USM :. EF 85mm f/1.8 :. 580 EX II
flickr (external link)
deviantart (external link)

izthistaken
Cream of the Crop
6,857 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 05, 2010 23:10 |  #1528

Need to bump the saturation on that second one^

Matt
flickr  (external link)
5DMKII | 16-35L |24-70L| 70-200L 2.8 II | Canon 50mm 1.8|35mm F2|580ex x2|Lumopro LP160|Nikon SB24|Cybersyncs x3

Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 06, 2010 10:26 |  #1529

We've had a rash of new entries, all of which have been very good - but lacking in some sense, so I'm resurrecting an old post by myself (post 606) in the hopes that it will help some of the newer folks out. These are simply suggestions based on what does NOT work with a fake tilt/shift, so please feel free to disagree with any of them as you see fit. We've had plenty of people bend these "rules" and still produce some excellent T/S.

• Angle: You need a pretty good downward angle I'd guess maybe more than a 20% angle? We've seen a few shots that are close to that (or below it), and still had the effect look good.

• Distance to Subject: Anything too close doesn't seem to work well. Example, if I shot a picture of one of my cats sitting at the bottom of the stairway (15 or 20 feet), it's simply too close to give that "miniature" effect.

• Too Many People: Simply my opinion, but having a lot of people in the pictures seems to lessen the model effect. Other folks here may feel differently <shrug>.

• Shutter Speed: Any objects that are blurred (in motion basically) will instantly kill the effect. Objects should be 100% still.

• Moving Water (Or Objects Moving on Water): I personally think that moving water (which you would never find as part of an architect's model as it would be hell to create) seem to lessen the effect. Still, one of the best contributions in this thread is Anke's boat near the pier entry (maybe back 100 posts or so). So go figure.

• Poorly Placed Focus Band: You need to try different widths and placements, so that it pulls off the effect properly. Generally you are going to want your Gaussian blur set to Radius = 20, Brightness = 11, Threshold = 254. These numbers are approximate.

• Lack of Saturation One of the biggest mistakes new posters tend to make. Though it is normally against our post processing nature for other photographs, you need a crazy amount of saturation. Remember that model scenery is often brightly painted so enhancing the saturation helps trick the eye. You'll want a saturation boost in most cases that = 40+!

• Lack of Contrast: Not always necessary, but having small bit of contrast (usually the last step) gives the effect an extra little kick.

I hope this helps, and again - none of these rules are stamped in steel.

Happy tilt/shifting! :D

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Website (external link)
| FaceBook (external link)

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 06, 2010 13:23 |  #1530

Kendoway wrote in post #9553609 (external link)
We've had a rash of new entries, all of which have been very good - but lacking in some sense, so I'm resurrecting an old post by myself (post 606) in the hopes that it will help some of the newer folks out. These are simply suggestions based on what does NOT work with a fake tilt/shift, so please feel free to disagree with any of them as you see fit. We've had plenty of people bend these "rules" and still produce some excellent T/S.

• Angle: You need a pretty good downward angle I'd guess maybe more than a 20% angle? We've seen a few shots that are close to that (or below it), and still had the effect look good.

• Distance to Subject: Anything too close doesn't seem to work well. Example, if I shot a picture of one of my cats sitting at the bottom of the stairway (15 or 20 feet), it's simply too close to give that "miniature" effect.

• Too Many People: Simply my opinion, but having a lot of people in the pictures seems to lessen the model effect. Other folks here may feel differently <shrug>.

• Shutter Speed: Any objects that are blurred (in motion basically) will instantly kill the effect. Objects should be 100% still.

• Moving Water (Or Objects Moving on Water): I personally think that moving water (which you would never find as part of an architect's model as it would be hell to create) seem to lessen the effect. Still, one of the best contributions in this thread is Anke's boat near the pier entry (maybe back 100 posts or so). So go figure.

• Poorly Placed Focus Band: You need to try different widths and placements, so that it pulls off the effect properly. Generally you are going to want your Gaussian blur set to Radius = 20, Brightness = 11, Threshold = 254. These numbers are approximate.

• Lack of Saturation One of the biggest mistakes new posters tend to make. Though it is normally against our post processing nature for other photographs, you need a crazy amount of saturation. Remember that model scenery is often brightly painted so enhancing the saturation helps trick the eye. You'll want a saturation boost in most cases that = 40+!

• Lack of Contrast: Not always necessary, but having small bit of contrast (usually the last step) gives the effect an extra little kick.

I hope this helps, and again - none of these rules are stamped in steel.

Happy tilt/shifting! :D

Brilliant. Great suggestions, they all seem pretty spot on to me. I'll link to this in the first post.

Anke

sponsored links

495,338 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fake Model/Tilt Shift Shots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.