Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 00:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d sent in 4 times for AF problems, still unresolved, what recourse do I have now?

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 05, 2010 17:49 |  #31

Keith R wrote in post #9549663 (external link)
It depends on what is being focused on.

I've got nearly two and a half years' experience of the 40D's tendency to jump onto something other than the intended subject instantly if something else with more contrast than the subject encroaches even slightly into the area covered by the AF point - it happens, and is the price we pay for fast sensitive AF.

One of the great things about the 7D is that we can slow down the AF re-acquisition time to prevent this from happening.

But the acquisition time should just be for AI SERVO, not ONE SHOT. It is about the time you can lose the target before it changes the focus in case you acquire it again. ONE SHOT is just that, for focus on a single shot, not a series.

With my 40D, focusing on static objects works well in ONE SHOT but not so well in AI SERVO. With my 1D AI SERVO works surprisingly well even on static objects in poor light so I don't need to switch modes as much but with the 40D I definitely switch to ONE SHOT.

Focus points are certainly larger than they appear and may pick up the closer or more contrasty object if you aren't careful. Focus test targets must be chosen very carefully for this reason.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

sponsored links
Red ­ Dog
945 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 06, 2010 07:46 |  #32

It seems Canon have possibly pushed the boundaries too far with the 7D and created something that is either hit or miss. Mines been back to the retailer for exactly the same issues as described.
I had the same issue with the 40D when I got it. Tolerated it for a month before figuring the high oof pictures weren't all my fault. Canon centre looked at it and agreed and re-calibrated the thing and its worked fine ever since.
Whoever works in quality control, if there is one, either needs a kick up the rear or moved to Nikon as they sure are messing up Canons customer relations no end.

www.davidmaginnissport​sphotography.zenfolio.​com/ (external link)
Canon 1DX mkii +Canon 1DX - Canon EF 200-400 F4, Canon 300 IS F2.8 + Canon 70-200 F2.8 & Sigma 120-300 f2.8 Sport
Other Photos: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/actionpix/ (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,872 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 06, 2010 08:52 |  #33

Red Dog wrote in post #9552990 (external link)
It seems Canon have possibly pushed the boundaries too far with the 7D and created something that is either hit or miss...

I don't think it has anything to do with pushing the boundries or is specific to the 7D. All Canon bodies have had a few that have been problem children. With me it was an XT (constant ERR99) and a 40D (My blind grandma could focus more accurately)

But Canon fixed the XT problem and the body is still in use today and working err free. The 40D they got really close and it's new owner is also happy with the body.

I think it's a result of manufacturing tolerances. Everything is designed to a specific measurement but it is impossible for any machine to manufacturer every single part exactly the same. There are always small errors either being a little bigger or a little smaller. The vast majority of bodies come really close to the ideal or have parts that may be 10% off but in the same direction so the error doesn't show. Every once in a while a body gets a part maybe 10% to big interacting with one 10% to small and that when you see bodies behaving badly.

Keep sending it back to Canon. They will eventually get it right.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 06, 2010 09:17 |  #34

Red Dog wrote in post #9552990 (external link)
It seems Canon have possibly pushed the boundaries too far with the 7D and created something that is either hit or miss. Mines been back to the retailer for exactly the same issues as described.
I had the same issue with the 40D when I got it.

Probably not the 7D's fault then...

Persephone
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 06, 2010 10:47 |  #35

Keith R wrote in post #9553317 (external link)

Um Red Dog then says that Canon calibrated the camera and that fixed the problem. So if it happened to Red Dog then it could happen to this OP, the camera needs calibration, except that the OP has sent it back three times.

Gear list
"Do you think it was my choice to wed a man I did not love? Live a life I did not choose? I was betrayed by the very gods that once saw me as their own. But no more." - Περσεφόνη (external link), God of War

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 06, 2010 11:05 |  #36

It certainly could but 3 times seemed too many times to me.

Persephone wrote in post #9553702 (external link)
Um Red Dog then says that Canon calibrated the camera and that fixed the problem. So if it happened to Red Dog then it could happen to this OP, the camera needs calibration, except that the OP has sent it back three times.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Red ­ Dog
945 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 06, 2010 15:59 |  #37

Keith R wrote in post #9553317 (external link)

I'll send you the report when Canon repair it or replace it as they've promised after viewing the sample images. If its a user error I'll admit it. I took my time to evaluate, test and try and resolve it but with no success.
Believe me I wanted it to work, but it wouldn't. :cry:

Canon 1DX mkii +Canon 1DX - Canon EF 200-400 F4, Canon 300 IS F2.8 + Canon 70-200 F2.8 & Sigma 120-300 f2.8 Sport

drumsfield
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 06, 2010 17:12 |  #38

This is why we pay so much for cameras and warranties.

Canon 5D MkIII | Olympus OM-D | Olympus E-P2 | 16-35L MKII | 24-70L MKII | 70-200L MKII | 85L MKII | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 | 100-400mm L MKII | 20mm 1.7
Feedback and Full gear list
Website (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,872 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 06, 2010 21:16 |  #39

drumsfield wrote in post #9555699 (external link)
This is why we pay so much for cameras and warranties.

Why?? Because Canon has choose to cut back on it's quality control and for the last few bodies have let slip though some very serius issues (MkIII focus, 50D ERR99, 5DII black spot, and others)
When Canon starts to deliver perfect quality products every time, then the costs will drop. If Canon continues to use photographers as testers, costs will rise.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

drumsfield
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 06, 2010 21:59 |  #40

gjl711 wrote in post #9557097 (external link)
Why?? Because Canon has choose to cut back on it's quality control and for the last few bodies have let slip though some very serius issues (MkIII focus, 50D ERR99, 5DII black spot, and others)
When Canon starts to deliver perfect quality products every time, then the costs will drop. If Canon continues to use photographers as testers, costs will rise.

By the sounds of it people should just avoid buying Canon cameras. The othe problem could be when users get paranoid that they didn't get a "good copy" of whatever lens/camera they bought because of what a few people write on the web along with the fact some people have absolutely no clue what they are doing except knowing how to spend a lot of money on a hobby they know nothing about.

Canon 5D MkIII | Olympus OM-D | Olympus E-P2 | 16-35L MKII | 24-70L MKII | 70-200L MKII | 85L MKII | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 | 100-400mm L MKII | 20mm 1.7
Feedback and Full gear list
Website (external link)

garycoleman
THREAD ­ STARTER
450 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 06, 2010 22:06 |  #41

I had a chance to play with it some more after the 4th repair. The AF is still jumpy, twitchy, generally inconsistent. Getting consistent sharp pictures is pretty much a crapshoot.

Using AF expansion instead of the normal single point focus, it only made a slight a difference in AF consistency.

With my 7d, when I focus on a high contrast target and repeatedly half press the shutter button to refocus (one shot, center point focus), I can see the focus scale jump all over the place. Also if I manually unfocus the lens and half press the shutter button to let the camera refocus, it will refocus on a different point as shown on the focus scale. I still do not believe this is normal. My XSi does do this under the similar setup. Yes I know the 7d and XSi are different cameras but the AF should behave consistently like my XSi on one shot single point center focus.

I should have exchanged at the store instead of getting serviced in the 1st place. After hearing how people with AF problems getting it successfully fixed I was thinking it shouldn't be a problem for me but it turned out to be a nightmare.

Canon 5D MKIII | Canon 60D | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 580EX II

rakesh
225 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 06, 2010 22:39 |  #42

Mine is with Canon India as of now for same reason. Mine was not focussing at the point where I select. Their engineer personally tested the body with the lens and then the same lens with another body and confirmed the issue. I'll be going to their Service Centre tomorrow to ask them for replacement.

Gears:
My WildLife Gallery :
http://www.justwildlif​e.com (external link)
My Kids Project Galleries : http://www.facebook.co​m …otography/15851​1907574485 (external link)

Red ­ Dog
945 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 07, 2010 05:27 |  #43

drumsfield wrote in post #9557327 (external link)
By the sounds of it people should just avoid buying Canon cameras. The othe problem could be when users get paranoid that they didn't get a "good copy" of whatever lens/camera they bought because of what a few people write on the web along with the fact some people have absolutely no clue what they are doing except knowing how to spend a lot of money on a hobby they know nothing about.

Many pro photographers are doing just that unfortunately for the reasons stated. If you bought a brand of car and it was faulty I'd be pretty sure you'd return it. When it continually happens with new models it does put people off especially when they need it to make a living.

Your last statement is slightly disengenuous to many experienced togs who have highlighted problems with the autofocus on the 7D. There are a small minority of people who have had problems through lack of experience, but everyone has to learn and forums are a good place to come to for help from other users. Statements like that don't really provide any encouragement to those who want to learn.

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 07, 2010 05:40 |  #44

Red Dog wrote in post #9558691 (external link)
Your last statement is slightly disengenuous to many experienced togs who have highlighted problems with the autofocus on the 7D.

Now that's disingenuous: "many" experienced 'togs? No evidence of that whatsoever.

There have obviously been some legitimate problems with the 7D, and an unknown percentage will have been suffered by experienced users.

But the overall number of actually faulty 7Ds will be a tiny proportion of the overall number of bodies sold; and of that number, a very small number indeed will have fallen to experienced users - just because a few have chosen to shout about their problems doesn't prove anything about the scale of what's going on.

Don't make more of this than it is. I'm pretty experienced and my 7D is spectacularly good in any situation I've used it in: there are more like me than there are experienced users unhappy with the camera.

Gary, stop trying to get your current body fixed: just get a new one and move on.

Red ­ Dog
945 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 07, 2010 08:15 |  #45

You have been lucky Keith. Perhaps I've been unlucky with two in a row. Its not particularly easy to deal with when you're under pressure to deliver pictures to media companies and you take 250 pictures at a footy match and find about 5 that are any way sharp. You begin to doubt your ability, your eyesight your laptop, but lastly the camera.
Perhaps its withdrawal symptoms after being informed I won't get it back for 4-5 weeks. I just find it annoying for issues raised by genuine users being dismissed as user error. Hopefully I'll get it back and I can start enjoying mine again as you obviously are.

sponsored links

7,436 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d sent in 4 times for AF problems, still unresolved, what recourse do I have now?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.