Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Feb 2010 (Saturday) 19:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New D-lites?

Vascilli
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 08, 2010 00:57 |  #16

Note that the kits now include a reflector and transmitter. I like these new lights but I feel really miffed after buying a D-Lite 4 kit and having the terrible mounts fail on me and nearly crash to the ground. (Operator error by an assistant)

Flickr (external link) | Gear List

sponsored links
c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 08, 2010 01:24 |  #17

eduardofrances wrote in post #9556763 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
x2
Also is it me or there´s a 8mm umbrella holder ala RX in the swivel?

that would be perfect in conjunction with paul c buff's plm version 2's.

one thing i hope that elinchrom has addressed is the so-called intelligent fan cooling (hopefully it means that the fans kick in when they are needed rather than being on the whole time.)

i hope that elinchrom finally includes standard reflectors in their d-lite strobes. it annoys the heck out of me when they half-arse the final product. the built in skyports are a good selling point to move people away from the cheap ebay triggers, but then again they perform the SAME task of cheap ebay triggers, so cheap ebay triggers will still have some use with this.

i think what is most important (other than addressing the mount improvements) include
- but now includes the intelligent slave cell enabling it to synchronize with “strobist” speedlite systems
-
[SIZE=3] Sync speeds of up to 1/250s
-built in spare fuse. (i'm sure it would be a headache to locate a spare fuse before a shoot, but at least a spare would ease the mind)

not too shabby. :cool:

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

roman_t
Cream of the Crop
5,271 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 08, 2010 02:36 |  #18

internal skyport is one big fat plus over old version i have
otherwise, the same little good strobe

Vascilli
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 08, 2010 03:21 |  #19

c2thew wrote in post #9564418 (external link)
that would be perfect in conjunction with paul c buff's plm version 2's.

one thing i hope that elinchrom has addressed is the so-called intelligent fan cooling (hopefully it means that the fans kick in when they are needed rather than being on the whole time.)

i hope that elinchrom finally includes standard reflectors in their d-lite strobes. it annoys the heck out of me when they half-arse the final product. the built in skyports are a good selling point to move people away from the cheap ebay triggers, but then again they perform the SAME task of cheap ebay triggers, so cheap ebay triggers will still have some use with this.

i think what is most important (other than addressing the mount improvements) include
- but now includes the intelligent slave cell enabling it to synchronize with “strobist” speedlite systems
-
[SIZE=3] Sync speeds of up to 1/250s
-built in spare fuse. (i'm sure it would be a headache to locate a spare fuse before a shoot, but at least a spare would ease the mind)

not too shabby. :cool:

roman_t wrote in post #9564565 (external link)
internal skyport is one big fat plus over old version i have
otherwise, the same little good strobe

Don't forget intelligent fan cooling. I have the regular fan-cooled D-Lites and the fan is always on. They're not silent either.

Flickr (external link) | Gear List

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 08, 2010 05:49 |  #20

I'm too busy shooting to hear the fans :)

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 08, 2010 12:34 |  #21

the flashcentre link shows the refector is optional(extra cost)

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

Hermes
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 08, 2010 12:38 |  #22

The intelligent fan cooling is 100% useless in my experience. Hearing the fan constantly switching off is worrying. Hearing it constantly whirring back to life is distracting.

With normal fan cooled lights you get used to the noise on the set, turn the music up a bit louder and it's not a problem. Noise that starts/stops all the time just draws attention to itself.

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 08, 2010 12:49 |  #23

For table top shooting I've been wanting one more light and getting one of these newer D lights would be perfect, also I might be even more interested if they make something in the 200W range, it's more often that I have too much power at the bottom end than not enough at the top end.
For both Portrait and Table Top, not having the built in Skyports really isn't an issue as I only have to put a receiver on one head and the rest on Optical (they work exceptionally well).

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

roman_t
Cream of the Crop
5,271 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 08, 2010 14:26 |  #24

Vascilli wrote in post #9564668 (external link)
Don't forget intelligent fan cooling. I have the regular fan-cooled D-Lites and the fan is always on. They're not silent either.

i have one fanless d-lite2 and its fine and silent one. usb controlled skyports would be great to have

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 08, 2010 14:37 as a reply to  @ roman_t's post |  #25

Intelligent cooling makes sense, in theory, but I completely agree with Hermes about the distraction of having the fans going on and off. I've never had anyone complain or bring it to my attention and have always had strobes that had a cooling fan when powered on. I think people will get used to the low noise floor produced by the fans constant activity and be distracted or given reason to think about it if the fans go on and off.

Optical triggers are nice and in most cases won't present a problem but I have been in situations where there was a lot of tight and controlled lighting with the optical trigger being blocked from seeing a flash because of a flag or gobo. The new D-Lite's will also appeal to anyone that already has a Skyport RX or Universal kit and wants to add a D-Lite without also having the added cost of a Skyport receiver.

Id should be noted that I've owned D-Lite 4's and 2's and did quite a bit of testing with them. Other than the highly discussed swivel mount and slightly lesser build quality of the actual accessory mount and housing, the D-Lite's are every bit an Elinchrom as the RX series. They perform really well.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 08, 2010 15:00 |  #26

If all Elinchrom did was add the stronger swivel without beefing up the housing of the strobe then they wasted their time. If you attach a modifier that is heavy enough to make the swivel sag you run the real risk of snapping the horrible crappy plastic housing/casing of the D-Lite. The swivel slides into the housing and attaches by way of 2 extremely thin and flimsy plastic ears that is integral to the housing. The housing can and will crack if you attach a heavy enough modifier, such as a 5ft octobox. Adding just the stronger swivel is pointless if the plastic housing didn't get updated. From the above pic I'd have to say the housing didn't get updated. Do I really need to post the pic of my broken D-Lite for the 100,000th time, LOL? ;) :)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 08, 2010 15:06 |  #27

shooterman wrote in post #9568018 (external link)
If all Elinchrom did was add the stronger swivel without beefing up the housing of the strobe then they wasted their time. If you attach a modifier that is heavy enough to make the swivel sag you run the real risk of snapping the horrible crappy plastic housing/casing of the D-Lite. The swivel slides into the housing and attaches by way of 2 extremely thin and flimsy plastic ears that is integral to the housing. The housing can and will crack if you attach a heavy enough modifier, such as a 5ft octobox. Adding just the stronger swivel is pointless if the plastic housing didn't get updated. From the above pic I'd have to say the housing didn't get updated. Do I really need to post the pic of my broken D-Lite for the 100,000th time, LOL? ;) :)

No, of course you don't Randy :)

But in the many years I've followed Elinchrom products and forums yours is the only case I've seen like what you've described and shown. I'm sure there are others out there but it doesn't seem as popular as those that just have a weak, flimsy or broken ratchet handle or component of the mount that reveals itself from overtightening due to a larger or heavy modifier pulling down on the front.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

shooterman
1,295 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 08, 2010 15:26 |  #28

TMR Design wrote in post #9568053 (external link)
No, of course you don't Randy :)

But in the many years I've followed Elinchrom products and forums yours is the only case I've seen like what you've described and shown. I'm sure there are others out there but it doesn't seem as popular as those that just have a weak, flimsy or broken ratchet handle or component of the mount that reveals itself from overtightening due to a larger or heavy modifier pulling down on the front.

Maybe so Robert, but whenever I can get the chance to **** about the flimsy quality of the D-Lite, I'm in like Flynn. :) Seriously, I'm pretty damn easy on my stuff so there's no way anyone will ever convince me it's something I did to make it break. It's just the crappy build quality of the D-Lites. :)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

roman_t
Cream of the Crop
5,271 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 08, 2010 15:45 |  #29

shooterman wrote in post #9568228 (external link)
Maybe so Robert, but whenever I can get the chance to **** about the flimsy quality of the D-Lite, I'm in like Flynn. :) Seriously, I'm pretty damn easy on my stuff so there's no way anyone will ever convince me it's something I did to make it break. It's just the crappy build quality of the D-Lites. :)

i have thought they are built weak too but one of my d-lite2 smashed on concrete floor with 2 meters stand (power cable pulled by walking) i said its dead. no way! no crack of housing or mount, works fine just modeling bulb went to bin and grid reflector was deformed well. i checked it inside - all safe. i'm lucky sob :-)

shooterman
1,295 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 08, 2010 15:59 |  #30

roman_t wrote in post #9568375 (external link)
i have thought they are built weak too but one of my d-lite2 smashed on concrete floor with 2 meters stand (power cable pulled by walking) i said its dead. no way! no crack of housing or mount, works fine just modeling bulb went to bin and grid reflector was deformed well. i checked it inside - all safe. i'm lucky sob :-)

If I could only be so lucky, LOL! :lol:

Randy

sponsored links

30,093 views & 0 likes for this thread
New D-lites?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.