Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Feb 2010 (Monday) 15:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do I need?

karenjean
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 08, 2010 15:47 |  #1

This is suchhhhhhhhhh a stupid question that I'm almost to embarrassed to ask but I have no choice. I also use natural light, but my friends just gave me some used WL lights. She says all I need is an adopter to fire them from my camera. Ok she is a Nikon user and I'm a canon user. I bought a TTL adopter but I dont think that's what I'm needing. Can someone please tell me everything I need to fire lights from my camera? And also can someone tell where to plug everything in?

Thank you all so much
Karen

sponsored links
CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 08, 2010 16:06 |  #2

WL Lights? White Lightning?

You need either a cord or a remote system. If using White Lighting just get a Cybersync transmitter (on camera) and a receiver for each of your lights. You can use one receiver and have the other lights trigger using the optical slave built in to the other lights. these will work fine indoors but may have problems outdoors.

you can also buy some remotes off ebay for less money that will work as well. then there are skyports and pocket wizards. they all do the same general thing.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 08, 2010 16:19 |  #3

karenjean wrote in post #9568395 (external link)
This is suchhhhhhhhhh a stupid question that I'm almost to embarrassed to ask but I have no choice. I also use natural light, but my friends just gave me some used WL lights. She says all I need is an adopter to fire them from my camera. Ok she is a Nikon user and I'm a canon user. I bought a TTL adopter but I dont think that's what I'm needing. Can someone please tell me everything I need to fire lights from my camera? And also can someone tell where to plug everything in?

Thank you all so much
Karen

Letting us know which Canon camera you have would do wonders in answering your question about which adapter you need. And welcome to the forums. :)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

karenjean
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 08, 2010 16:54 |  #4

Thank you for the welcome.... Yes I'm talking about White Lightning lights, she gave me two. She said "All you need is an adopter" Easier said then done. lol I have never hooked lights up before, so I have not clue as what type of adopter or other things I need.
Geez I forgot to tell you all what kind of camera I have, Canon 40D.

Thanks you all for helping.
Karen

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,263 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 08, 2010 18:28 as a reply to  @ karenjean's post |  #5

White Lightning

Many of the White Lightning units that are described as WL are the older "coffee can" WL-5,000 or WL-10,000 units (see my illustration). These are great lights and I have been using a pair for over twenty years. Just like the Energizer Bunny, "They just keep going and going!"

These and virtually all other studio strobes can be triggered using a p/c cord from your camera. xxD cameras have a p/c socket but the xxxD cameras don't have a socket and you need to get a hotshoe adapter which will provide the p/c socket.

However, an even better way to fire these strobes is to use an infrared trigger. The IR trigger makes use of the built-in optical slave of the strobe (most studio strobes have optical slaves). The IR trigger fits in the hotshoe of your camera. All you need is line of sight from camera to one of the strobes and the flash from that strobe will trigger any other strobes. I don't know the maximum distance but, I have never had any problems in normal studio setups. I have been using an inexpensive (less than $15) IR sensor for several years and just occasionally need to change the AA batteries it uses. It is a lot more reliable than the cheap radio strobes sold on eBay and by other distributors.

The only slight problem is that you need to be the only photographer shooting flash. Any flash will trigger the optical sensor.

As with most studio strobes, you need to adjust the intensity of the lights manually. You cannot use TTL or E-TTL in shooting your WL units. You can use either a flash meter or work the "by guess and by God method"; taking experimental exposures and adjusting your lighting based on the results. I have been working with my lights for so long that I can just about eyeball the exposure based on what the modeling light looks like.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

karenjean
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 08, 2010 18:55 |  #6

lol it's funny because you hit the nail on the head, she gave me three WL 5,000, but I think only two work. I have a Canon 40D and all I need is a IR trigger right? Would it be do much to ask you to post pictures of your set up from the camera to lights?

Thank you

karenjean
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 09, 2010 13:39 |  #7

Is this what I need to get these lights to work with my camera? I was thinking there had to be a cord connecting my camera to the lights.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Shoe_to.html#a​ccessories (external link)

sponsored links

1,484 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do I need?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.