Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Feb 2010 (Saturday) 19:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New D-lites?

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 08, 2010 16:44 |  #31

^ shooterman i want to see a pict of your destroyed d-lite. i haven't seen you post that image or haven't stumbled upon the broken d-lite thread.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

sponsored links
Roxie2401
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 08, 2010 16:52 as a reply to  @ c2thew's post |  #32

Do the kits listed on Amazon really include the reflector? I thought that was something that had to be purchased separately. The kits seem to have two softboxes and no reflectors.

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 08, 2010 16:58 |  #33

Roxie2401 wrote in post #9568870 (external link)
Do the kits listed on Amazon really include the reflector? I thought that was something that had to be purchased separately. The kits seem to have two softboxes and no reflectors.

Dunno about the Amazon kits but The Flash Centre specifically mentions the included reflector on their site:

PLUS the kits now include.... extras!
2x D-lite 2 or 4 it Heads
2x Portalite Softboxes 66cm
1x 16cm Reflector (extra!)
2x ClipLock Stands
1x Skyport Eco Transmitter (extra!)
Carry Cases & Cables.

Dave F.

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 08, 2010 18:14 |  #34

Well the new D lite prices certainly will give Alien Bees a run for their money.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 08, 2010 20:09 |  #35

c2thew wrote in post #9568823 (external link)
^ shooterman i want to see a pict of your destroyed d-lite. i haven't seen you post that image or haven't stumbled upon the broken d-lite thread.

Can't find the pic, think I deleted it off the hard drive, so I'll take a new one and send it to you in a PM.

edit: check your PM. :)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 08, 2010 20:29 |  #36

tetrode wrote in post #9568902 (external link)
Dunno about the Amazon kits but The Flash Centre specifically mentions the included reflector on their site:

PLUS the kits now include.... extras!
2x D-lite 2 or 4 it Heads
2x Portalite Softboxes 66cm
1x 16cm Reflector (extra!)
2x ClipLock Stands
1x Skyport Eco Transmitter (extra!)
Carry Cases & Cables.

Dave F.

then I misread what optional means. To me, you have to buy it.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 08, 2010 20:33 |  #37

hawk911 wrote in post #9570323 (external link)
then I misread what optional means. To me, you have to buy it.

Well, the Flash Centre blurb says the kit now includes "extras", those being the 16cm reflector and the Skyport ECO transmitter. Of course, the US version of the kits may be configured differently. Time will tell.

Dave F.

hfoto
106 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 08, 2010 21:03 |  #38

would these work with the vagabond 2?

slivr
627 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 08, 2010 21:51 |  #39

Just a note: The Amazon links included in the OP's first entry no longer reveal pictures of these new D-Lites. Instead, there's blank image space with this notation beneath it:

This item has not yet been released.
You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives.

Oops! Someone let the cat out of the bag too early I would guess and POTN members were some of the first to see them. (Nice find, Eduardo). Looks like Amazon was forced to correct their site but there's no reason to think the final releases of the new D-Lites will be any different from those images posted in this thread.

- Jason S.
More gear and money than talent ... but workin' at it!

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Feb 08, 2010 22:38 |  #40

TMR Design wrote in post #9567846 (external link)
Id should be noted that I've owned D-Lite 4's and 2's and did quite a bit of testing with them. Other than the highly discussed swivel mount and slightly lesser build quality of the actual accessory mount and housing, the D-Lite's are every bit an Elinchrom as the RX series. They perform really well.

Agreed. Great lights for the money! These new ones look interesting... :)

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

m3rdpwr
Goldmember
1,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 09, 2010 13:18 |  #41

I don't regret buying my BX400's, but man I would love a set of BXRi's for the built in skyports and remote adjustability.

BX400's anyone?! lol

-Mario

Gear List

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 09, 2010 13:28 |  #42

m3rdpwr wrote in post #9575163 (external link)
I don't regret buying my BX400's, but man I would love a set of BXRi's for the built in skyports and remote adjustability.

BX400's anyone?! lol

-Mario

There are definitely people that would want 400BX's. You just have to be willing to take the hit and cough up some extra cash. :D

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

m3rdpwr
Goldmember
1,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 09, 2010 13:36 |  #43

TMR Design wrote in post #9575256 (external link)
There are definitely people that would want 400BX's. You just have to be willing to take the hit and cough up some extra cash. :D

I don't mind paying for quality, I do mind taking the hit seeing my BX's have so little use. lol

Don't mean to Hijack, but since people are taling about these.
I have 4 BX400's.
I would get rid of 2 BX400's and get 2 BXRi's.
I love remote adjust (Unfortunate it doesn't support the USB dongle.)
BXRi's detect pre-flash.

I'm debating on 2 x 250 BXri or 1 each of the 250/500.

This is because the BX400's are sometimes too much power.
(Wish the BXRi's were 7 stop, I'd get 2 x 500's at that point.)

Any thoughts?

I rarely see BX400's for sale, any idea on realistic sell price?
(And don't say I'll take it for a dollar...:))

-Mario

Gear List

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 09, 2010 14:55 |  #44

I'm excited about this light and that it has a built in skyport receiver as well as the new mount. A friend recently borrowed my Elinchrom 69" Octobox and used it on a D400, not the original but the most recent before this announcement and it worked very well. I am understanding that about a year ago Elinchrom did improve the mounts and housing. But this new light looks perfect for my needs.

I have two BX400's, use them a lot and love them. Another friend recently bought 4 BXRi 500's and I used them for a couple of weeks every day and think they are great. At first I noticed the new fan system coming on now and at first thought it distracting but after a day was in love with the concept. We had at times up to all 6 strobes working at once doing product shots and had they all had fans running I probably would go nuts.

Later I brought two of his lights home to use with some table top shooting and used them first because of the quietness and the built in skyport and only added one of mine when I had to have a third light which only happens occasionally for me with table top shooting.

I'm very tempted to get a new D200.

Had these lights been available when I first bought strobes, I probably would have put together a kit of 3-D400's and 1-D200.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

telles75
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 09, 2010 15:35 |  #45

Uhmm... these D-Lites look amazing! As Rob said, getting 2 of these for location shooting would be great... I wonder what the colour temperature is in order to use them in conjunction with my RX strobes? And I like the handle same as the BXRi...I do not like the handle on the RX that much, I think the one on the BXRi is better...

Rafael T.
Nowadays I shoot Nikon, but deep inside I am still a Canon lover... plus Nikonians don't have a cool place to hang like POTN :)
Gear -Model Mayhem -external linkFlickr -external linkWebsiteexternal link

sponsored links

30,077 views & 0 likes for this thread
New D-lites?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.