Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Feb 2010 (Saturday) 19:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New D-lites?

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 09, 2010 16:02 |  #46

Rafael, I'd imagine you'd use one set for BG/kicker lights where the color temp isn't as critical, right?

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

sponsored links
TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 09, 2010 16:06 as a reply to  @ hawk911's post |  #47

Exactly. There are some variations in color temp but I wouldn't worry about integrating them as Geoff suggested, used as background licks or accent or edge lights.

Then again, I've never measured or seen results to know if the slight difference in color temp matters as long as you have an accurate reference and you're not seeing anything that looks odd or messed up.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 09, 2010 16:09 |  #48

and I thought they were only a few hundred off. Would you really notice it?

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 09, 2010 16:29 |  #49

hawk911 wrote in post #9576356 (external link)
and I thought they were only a few hundred off. Would you really notice it?

That's what I'm saying. I don't think it's anything to worry about unless you saw something odd happening but I suspect it would be fine and you could use an RX as a main light and a D-Lite 2 as fill without any problem.

Robert

eduardofrances
THREAD ­ STARTER
679 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 09, 2010 16:47 |  #50

slivr wrote in post #9570842 (external link)
Just a note: The Amazon links included in the OP's first entry no longer reveal pictures of these new D-Lites. Instead, there's blank image space with this notation beneath it:

This item has not yet been released.
You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives.

Oops! Someone let the cat out of the bag too early I would guess and POTN members were some of the first to see them. (Nice find, Eduardo). Looks like Amazon was forced to correct their site but there's no reason to think the final releases of the new D-Lites will be any different from those images posted in this thread.

Thanks a lot :D.

I guess they were wanting this whole D-lite IT to go "viral", it wouldn´t surprise me if that´s what they wanted :P

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/ (external link) :D

telles75
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 09, 2010 17:07 |  #51

eduardofrances wrote in post #9576599 (external link)
Thanks a lot :D.

I guess they were wanting this whole D-lite IT to go "viral", it wouldn´t surprise me if that´s what they wanted :P

Hey quick question to you Eduardo... Do they sell Elinchrom gear back in El Salvador or for that matter any lighting gear? I was wondering that the other day.... My bet is that you buy your stuff from the US, correct?

Rafael T.
Nowadays I shoot Nikon, but deep inside I am still a Canon lover... plus Nikonians don't have a cool place to hang like POTN :)
Gear -Model Mayhem -external linkFlickr -external linkWebsiteexternal link

telles75
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 09, 2010 17:12 |  #52

TMR Design wrote in post #9576480 (external link)
That's what I'm saying. I don't think it's anything to worry about unless you saw something odd happening but I suspect it would be fine and you could use an RX as a main light and a D-Lite 2 as fill without any problem.

Yeah, I guess you are right, 200 to 300 Kelvin difference might not be noticeable. Plus yes if I do get DLites it will before backlight, hairlight and kickers. Main and fill I like to control remotely :)

PS: Hey Rob so have you decided yet to attend the Frank Doorkhof workshop in New York this April? I am paid and booked, just figuring out what hotel to stay at... I am very excited to learn from Frank, since he uses the same lighting gear we do..LOL..

Rafael T.
Nowadays I shoot Nikon, but deep inside I am still a Canon lover... plus Nikonians don't have a cool place to hang like POTN :)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 09, 2010 17:24 |  #53

telles75 wrote in post #9576764 (external link)
Hey Rob so have you decided yet to attend the Frank Doorkhof workshop in New York this April? I am paid and booked, just figuring out what hotel to stay at... I am very excited to learn from Frank, since he uses the same lighting gear we do..LOL..

I wish I could go. I had too many other things to take care of and there direct time conflicts. It's a shame because I'm sure it will be a while before Frank is back out here but such is life.

Robert

telles75
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 09, 2010 18:17 |  #54

TMR Design wrote in post #9576843 (external link)
I wish I could go. I had too many other things to take care of and there direct time conflicts. It's a shame because I'm sure it will be a while before Frank is back out here but such is life.

Aww... too bad... but I guess yes sometimes we don't have control over things...

Rafael T.

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 09, 2010 19:01 |  #55

TMR Design wrote in post #9576334 (external link)
Exactly. There are some variations in color temp but I wouldn't worry about integrating them as Geoff suggested, used as background licks or accent or edge lights.

Then again, I've never measured or seen results to know if the slight difference in color temp matters as long as you have an accurate reference and you're not seeing anything that looks odd or messed up.

OK, I gotta ask, what were you thinking when you typed this? :lol:

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

eduardofrances
THREAD ­ STARTER
679 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 09, 2010 19:14 |  #56

telles75 wrote in post #9576725 (external link)
Hey quick question to you Eduardo... Do they sell Elinchrom gear back in El Salvador or for that matter any lighting gear? I was wondering that the other day.... My bet is that you buy your stuff from the US, correct?

Until recently all that was available was Speedotron brown line packs and heads (and at 2x of the price you guys get in the USA BTW), Speedotrons are nice and they resist nuclear holocausts but the brown line is really limited and the biggest con is that there´s no fan cooling in the packs :/ (here being the tropic doesn´t helps), also to lug those monsters to take photos of executives in their offices isn´t that good for the back LOL; so yep everything I have has been bought in the USA with outrageous shipping bills and a 28% combined tax (15% photo gear and 13% of VAT plus customs fees) and :( LOL!

Recently a friend of mine told me recently that now there´s another store is selling Visico gear, haven´t had time to check them out though!!! (but I have heard good stuff about their VC-600 monolights).

Variety in terms of lighting products is something you won´t find here :P.

Are you familiar with El Salvador??

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/ (external link) :D

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 09, 2010 19:14 |  #57

shooterman wrote in post #9577507 (external link)
OK, I gotta ask, what were you thinking when you typed this? :lol:

I couldn't possibly tell you. :D

Robert

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 09, 2010 20:18 |  #58

The second you bounce a light off of foam core, through or off an umbrella, use in a softbox, you can expect color change. I remember with hot light bounced off foam core, I'd checked it with my color temp meter and found a change of 300 degrees kelvin but could never tell. I have no idea how much different in Kelvin my 580EXII's compared to Elinchrom BX400's or the BXRi500's are but most of the time I cannot tell and other times they seem a lot colder, something that 1/8th CTO or even 1/4 CTO will correct to the eye for what I am seeing on the monitor.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

telles75
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 09, 2010 21:04 |  #59

eduardofrances wrote in post #9577587 (external link)
Until recently all that was available was Speedotron brown line packs and heads (and at 2x of the price you guys get in the USA BTW), Speedotrons are nice and they resist nuclear holocausts but the brown line is really limited and the biggest con is that there´s no fan cooling in the packs :/ (here being the tropic doesn´t helps), also to lug those monsters to take photos of executives in their offices isn´t that good for the back LOL; so yep everything I have has been bought in the USA with outrageous shipping bills and a 28% combined tax (15% photo gear and 13% of VAT plus customs fees) and :( LOL!

Recently a friend of mine told me recently that now there´s another store is selling Visico gear, haven´t had time to check them out though!!! (but I have heard good stuff about their VC-600 monolights).

Variety in terms of lighting products is something you won´t find here :P.

Are you familiar with El Salvador??

Oh..that sucks... well Elinchrom stuff is pretty light (I got the plastic case with 3 RX heads and is way lighter than my camera bag). The Ranger Quadras are so lightweight, I have been tempted several times biting the bullet and getting it, but my wife would kill me :)

Yeah I hear you, Speedotron are massive, I have used them in some workshops I have attended, cannot see myself carrying around that, specially in location shoots :) (say at the sandy beach or snowy hills...yikes..)

Yes, I am originally from El Salvador, moved to Toronto about 10 years ago, I actually saw your stuff on MM like a year ago. Good stuff!

Rafael T.

Mr_C
51 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 09, 2010 21:45 as a reply to  @ telles75's post |  #60

New Dlites? I'm excited about the 70cm Deep Octa, will fit great on the lighter load bearing heads like Quadras, Dlites, etc...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Pete - living and working in Shanghai
Nikon D700 | Sigma 50 f/1.4 HSM | Nikkor 135 f/2 DC | Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 Mk2 | Elinchrom FXM Ri 600w | Elinchrom Ranger Quadra A 'To Go Kit' | Nikon SB 800 x2 | Nikon SU-800 | Skyports | Yong Nuo RF 602's | Sekonic L-358 | Manfrotto 055CXPRO3

sponsored links

30,049 views & 0 likes for this thread
New D-lites?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.