Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Feb 2010 (Tuesday) 19:58
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Canon EOS 7D vs. T2i?"
I am selling my 7D for a T2i.
5.2%
No I am happy with my 7D.
24%
They are totally different cameras, you can't compare.
48.7%
I can count to potato.
22.1%

384 voters, 384 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS 7D vs. T2i?

krepta
I swear I'm Ken Rockwell!
8,482 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 09, 2010 23:20 |  #16

10megapixel wrote in post #9579027 (external link)
How many FPS is the T2i ? (Pictures, not video) ;) :lol:

It's 3.7. From Canon:

3.7 fps continuous shooting up to approximately 34 JPEGs or approximately 6 RAW

Alex | flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | Food! (external link)

sponsored links
artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 10, 2010 04:48 |  #17

I daresay a lot of people who were wondering about a 7D but worrying about the cost will jump all over this. Will it affect 7D sales, possibly a little.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,285 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 10, 2010 04:56 as a reply to  @ artyman's post |  #18

Of course these cameras can be compared.
They have the same resolution, use the same lenses, has the same sensor size, both support video and so on.
But beyond that, the 7D still adds a lot of capabilities and features. 3.7 frames/second for 34 pictures isn't much to brag about, if you compare it to well over 100 images at 8 frames/second, for example.

Then there's all the rest. It's all a question about if you value all the features and capabilities. If you want the video feature more than anything else, the 550D is the obvious choice.

Anders

AutumnJazz
137 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 10, 2010 06:02 |  #19

krepta wrote in post #9578966 (external link)
In general, what you two are saying is true, but you're forgetting about one type of user: video shooters. My friend bought a 7D almost exclusively to do video. He needed all of the video options (all quality settings and frame rates), the 7D being the first Canon EOS DSLR to feature all video options and manual control. And he picked Canon because he was already invested in Canon lenses. The T1i and 5D Mark II would not have worked, as neither have all the video options, and, even after the firmware fix, the 5D II is out of his price range. For still photography, he was getting by just fine with his Rebel XT (which he sold to finance in part his 7D) and did not need anything that much better.

Somehow he managed to gather enough money to afford a 7D, but he is a grad student on a very tight budget, so any money he can save is good. The T2i has pretty much everything he needs as both a still photography camera AND a HD video DSLR, at about half the price of the 7D. Now, I have urged him to wait for hands-on reviews to see how the T2i performs in terms of video (for still photography, there's no doubt the T2i will outperform is old Rebel XT, so there's very little concern in that area) before he sells his 7D and buys a T2i. I told him -- and he knows well -- that the 7D is a "better" camera and a solid investment for years, but he could really use that money difference he would recuperate from trading down.

My point is that different people have different needs. Any "inferior" camera can actually be a "superior" choice for a person whose needs that camera fulfills well. Downgrading is not a common thing to do, but it happens. It's possible someone who just recently purchased a brand new 5D Mark II suddenly loses his job and trades down to a used Rebel XSi, a necessary sacrifice to get by money-wise while being able to keep at the hobby. Well-informed consumers are not stupid. They know when they make choices what they are getting or giving up. Let's not judge and make arrogant assumptions about everyone.

A camera is not an investment. They're obsoleted in 1-2 years.

From your post, I don't see why he needs anything more than the T2i. The weather seals, better build, and better AF of the 7D probably won't matter to him.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/autumnjazz/ (external link)

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 10, 2010 06:22 |  #20

00dahc wrote in post #9578989 (external link)
Derpy durrrr

That's how I feel about this thread too!

Selling 7D for t2i? common now!

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

Lars ­ Daniel
170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 10, 2010 06:28 |  #21

Why on earth would I even remotely consider selling my 7D for a 550D?
Weirdest question I have seen in here so far :-)

Previously Canon. Now Fuji. (-And loving it!)
www.larsdaniel.com

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 10, 2010 06:32 |  #22

Lars Daniel wrote in post #9580363 (external link)
Weirdest question I have seen in here so far :-)

Stick around... The only things guaranteed are death, taxes, and the ability of people on photography forums to come up with utterly inane poll questions...

Lacks_focus
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 10, 2010 06:43 |  #23

krepta wrote in post #9578966 (external link)
My friend bought a 7D almost exclusively to do video.

Sorry. Couldn't get past that sentence. Didn't read the rest of the post. Why in the world would someone buy a DSLR exclusively, almost or otherwise, to shoot video? Don't they sell video cameras that can do this better than a camera that still has its primary purpose as a still photography tool? I guess the feature is useful and all, but it just seems like using a butter knife as a screwdriver to me...

1D MKIII | FujiFilm X10 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 | 135 f/2 | 85 f/1.8 | 580EX |
lacks-focus.smugmug.com (external link)

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 10, 2010 06:48 |  #24

T2i is better than 7D

If you want to use a RC-6

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 10, 2010 06:52 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

artyman wrote in post #9580058 (external link)
I daresay a lot of people who were wondering about a 7D but worrying about the cost will jump all over this. Will it affect 7D sales, possibly a little.

Yep. But You'll see probably only a handful of folks trade down..those that do will not have been into it for the pictures from the start. Ergonomics and such go out the window with a proper shooting rig anyway.

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

firomero
81 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 10, 2010 07:16 |  #26

let's add this question to the poll

Are you frikking kidding me??:D:D:D

Canon 7D canon 28-135 - 50mm 1.8 -tamron 17-50vc and 70-300vc and speedlite 430EX II

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 10, 2010 07:24 |  #27

I think we need to remember just because it also has 18mp... that doesn't mean it has the same sensor as the 7D

Sorry. Couldn't get past that sentence. Didn't read the rest of the post. Why in the world would someone buy a DSLR exclusively, almost or otherwise, to shoot video? Don't they sell video cameras that can do this better than a camera that still has its primary purpose as a still photography tool? I guess the feature is useful and all, but it just seems like using a butter knife as a screwdriver to me..

People who want shallow depth of field from a big sensor would buy a DSLR. You'd probably have to pay 3 times more than the 7D to get a similar shallowness. With a camcorder you're stuck with one lens that isn't great because it has to do everything... with a Canon body you can buy an awsome lens for each situation you need it for.

laydros
444 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 10, 2010 07:37 |  #28

benesotor wrote in post #9580542 (external link)
I think we need to remember just because it also has 18mp... that doesn't mean it has the same sensor as the 7D

People who want shallow depth of field from a big sensor would buy a DSLR. You'd probably have to pay 3 times more than the 7D to get a similar shallowness. With a camcorder you're stuck with one lens that isn't great because it has to do everything... with a Canon body you can buy an awsome lens for each situation you need it for.

Yes and yes on both of these parts.

There is all the reason in the world to assume that Canon doesn't sell two different 18mp sensors (especially because it isn't a common resolution right now) but I don't think they never even said that the T1i had the "same" sensor as the 50D. There could be some differences, I'm only calling the T2i incredible if it can match the 7D high ISO, which is far from a given. The Rebel XS didn't handle high ISO as well as the 40D, for example. (I owned both).

I think people ARE buying DSLRs as video cameras for serious work. I haven't looked into this a lot but I saw and heard several comments about how much cheaper it was. You get 1080p at 24fps with full manual controls, APS-C sized sensor, and excellent lenses, in a generally easy to work with size and form factor. I think finding a 1080p camera is easy and cheap, but without some serious cash the sensor is going to be tiny, and the lens is going to be fixed. And even if you get something with interchangeable lenses, I think photography lenses may be cheaper since they are more common. And I expect high ISO noise is worse on most dedicated video cams without spending a lot of money.

And you get a high quality DSLR thrown in for free!

Jason Hamilton - flickr (external link) - Twitter (external link) - laydros.org (external link)
Canon 5D, 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.8 II, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 430EX
Nikon FE, 35/2, 50/1.8, 105/2.5 and Mamiya C220 Complete Gear List.

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 10, 2010 07:41 |  #29

laydros wrote in post #9580577 (external link)
Yes and yes on both of these parts.

I think people ARE buying DSLRs as video cameras for serious work. I haven't looked into this a lot but I saw and heard several comments about how much cheaper it was. You get 1080p at 24fps with full manual controls, APS-C sized sensor, and excellent lenses, in a generally easy to work with size and form factor. I think finding a 1080p camera is easy and cheap, but without some serious cash the sensor is going to be tiny, and the lens is going to be fixed. And even if you get something with interchangeable lenses, I think photography lenses may be cheaper since they are more common. And I expect high ISO noise is worse on most dedicated video cams without spending a lot of money.

And you get a high quality DSLR thrown in for free!

Yep, It's impressing everyone. I'm working with a film producer at the moment, and she has thousands of pounds worth of dedicated video camera. But she's quite keen to work with my 7D instead!

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 10, 2010 08:14 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

benesotor wrote in post #9580594 (external link)
Yep, It's impressing everyone. I'm working with a film producer at the moment, and she has thousands of pounds worth of dedicated video camera. But she's quite keen to work with my 7D instead!

Has she played with the 5dII? If so what are her thoughts?

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

sponsored links

43,888 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 7D vs. T2i?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.