Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 11:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pick a walkaround lens for me

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Feb 08, 2010 16:04 |  #46

I have had a 24-105 for a number or years now and it is my favorite walk around lens.

I had the 17-55 f/2.8 IS Canon and sent it back as it produced lack luster colors and and had a quite consumer feel to it. Very, very expensive for what you get.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

sponsored links
MStig
32 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 10, 2010 12:37 |  #47

I just purchased the 15-85. I have an XTi and I can't believe how sharp the pictures are. This is my new walkaround lens.

7D
55-250
15-85

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 10, 2010 12:50 as a reply to  @ MStig's post |  #48
bannedPermanently

EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

jcpicturethis
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 10, 2010 13:00 |  #49

I find that canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L a good walkaround lens. The price is a bit more compared to the canon 28-135mm but you are paying for an L glass. The clarity on that is great, very fast focusing, and a decent range. I'm pretty happy with it.

5D mk I, 5D mk II, 16-35 f/2.8L, 35 f/1.4L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/1.2L, 24-70mm f/2.8 L, 85 1.2L, 100mm macro IS f/2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS, 430EX, 580 EX II
http://jcpicturethis.c​om (external link)

rishu_pepper
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 10, 2010 13:20 |  #50

Actually, after careful deliberation and long looks at lens threads, I have ordered the Tamron 18-270 VC. It'll be here on Tuesday, can't wait!

I like how it covers a lot of FL with a pretty decent IQ, and I hear the VC is better than its competitors (a must-have for a notable hand-shaker like myself). Still agonizing whether I should get a CPL for it or not.

My next lens, and likely last for a while, will be a Sigma 10-20 UWA. Still looking around for one of those.

~My SmugMug~ (external link)
~Gear List and Feedback~

Acropora
59 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 10, 2010 13:22 |  #51

You will like the 18-270, good choice! I am very happy with mine, love not changing lenses.

20D, 18-55 IS, 50/1.4, Tamron 18-270 IS

jffuerte
648 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 10, 2010 13:53 |  #52

congrats, thats the lens I was thinking of getting as well. I ended up going with the Tamron 17-50 and just recently got a 70-200 yesterday in the mail. I have a friend that has the older version 18-250 and he loves it. have fun waiting, it sucks lol

-Jerel
Instagram (external link)
Fuerte Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

rishu_pepper
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 10, 2010 13:56 |  #53

Haha yeah, the waiting part sucks. The price was right and I couldn't hold out. ;) Will post some pics once I get it.

~Gear List and Feedback~

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,195 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 10, 2010 14:37 |  #54

rishu_pepper wrote in post #9582783 (external link)
Haha yeah, the waiting part sucks. The price was right and I couldn't hold out. ;) Will post some pics once I get it.

Hope you enjoy the lens ! :p

Below is the best deal on the 72mm Hoya HD CPL if your inclined:

http://maxsaver.net …izing-Digital-Filter.aspx (external link)

Regards, ;)

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 10, 2010 15:22 |  #55

Silverfox1 wrote in post #9583064 (external link)
Below is the best deal on the 72mm Hoya HD CPL if your inclined:

+1 on the filter. If you're going for a 1-lens solution, you want to make sure that lens will survive every trip. Carrying multiple lenses (and the necessary switching of lenses) means that you still have some options if something happens to one rather than no options if you just have the one lens in your bag.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

rishu_pepper
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 10, 2010 16:08 |  #56

I looked at a thread about CPL's and it seems like the Marumi is the way to go (best price/performance ratio).

I may get a 77mm with a 72-77mm step up ring for the Tamron, because I'm pretty set to buy a Sigma 10-20mm and that takes a 77mm.

~Gear List and Feedback~

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,195 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 10, 2010 16:21 |  #57

rishu_pepper wrote in post #9583599 (external link)
I looked at a thread about CPL's and it seems like the Marumi is the way to go (best price/performance ratio).

I may get a 77mm with a 72-77mm step up ring for the Tamron, because I'm pretty set to buy a Sigma 10-20mm and that takes a 77mm.

Personally i cant comment on the Marumi CPL but the below link from a reputable vendor sells them and the Marumi 72mm CPL is more expensive then the Genuine Hoya HD i linked you to:

http://www.2filter.com …marumisuperdigi​talHG.html (external link)

Glance at this video if you havent seen it:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=cT6wBQR7iqE (external link)

Regards, ;)

rishu_pepper
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 10, 2010 16:33 |  #58

I did watch that video, and while I don't plan to put that much punishment on my filter/lens, it is a nice piece of mind to have.

I was thinking of the "non-Super" Marumi CPL. Saw them on ebay for $45, seems like a decent enough deal.

Does it make sense to do the step-up thing, or should I just bite the bullet and get two separate CPL's?

~Gear List and Feedback~

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,195 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 10, 2010 16:49 as a reply to  @ rishu_pepper's post |  #59

Living in Texas i get plenty of bright sunny days and figured i could justify the use of quality CPL`s, so i purchased 2 of the Hoya HD CPL`s and do use them on occasion.

I also have the Hoya HD Clear protective filters but only use them outdoors in undesirable environments. Never use them indoors.

The step-up ring should work just fine without any vignetting and save you some money.  :p

Regards & Have Fun ! ;)

rishu_pepper
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 10, 2010 17:26 |  #60

I live in the beautiful wet coast of British Columbia, so we don't get as much sunshine as you guys do. ;)

Regardless, I'm definitely leaning towards getting a CPL for those nice days we have when it's not raining cats and dogs.

~Gear List and Feedback~

sponsored links

7,893 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pick a walkaround lens for me
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.