Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Feb 2010 (Wednesday) 21:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Creative Light Speedring for Elinchrom

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 10, 2010 21:05 |  #1

Is anyone using one of these with Elinchrom lights? According to this review at B&H the design is flawed since the studs stick out the back and hit the locking ring. Additionally the speedring spins freely without a way to lock it makes install and removal fiddly.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …eed_Ring_for.ht​ml#reviews (external link)

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 10, 2010 21:10 |  #2

Rai33 wrote in post #9585537 (external link)
Is anyone using one of these with Elinchrom lights? According to this review at B&H the design is flawed since the studs stick out the back and hit the locking ring. Additionally the speedring spins freely without a way to lock it makes install and removal fiddly.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …eed_Ring_for.ht​ml#reviews (external link)

I haven't used it but recently I was looking at all the Elinchrom compatible speed rings and someone brought up the issue of the screws coming out the back that are too long. Looks like someone dropped the ball on the design.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

swalter
293 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 10, 2010 23:53 |  #3

The same exact review exists on amazon, but the reviewer has an update and potential workaround solution (not something you should have to do)..

http://www.amazon.com …ics&qid=1265867​523&sr=8-1 (external link)

http://scwalter.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

NickP
43 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 14, 2010 13:19 |  #4

I do and am.
The screw issue is a PITA (hav'nt tackled a solution yet as been too busy). Suspect reversing the screws would be fine.

I wanted/needed a stripbank with grid, and as Elinchrom have a grid allergy I went with a CL box.

I actually keep her set-up (a 1x4 is easy to transport and carry) as the mech. is more a pita than a rotalux.

The box itself is EXCELLENT!!!! Although the mounting is also pretty stiff on a Quadra (again, no time of late but some filing is prob. in order).
Rear velcro opening is good.
Quality is great.
Grid is wonderful!

All in all, thumbs up. I only use horiz or vert. anyway so pay attention to Quadra orientation prior to fitment.

Will try a fix soon when return from shooting in Europe.

These were from very first play with Quadra and 1x4 CL strip with grid;

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Quadra's, Ranger RX Speeds & Lots of Rotalux
www.draigphotography.c​om (external link)
www.timelessglamour.co​.uk (external link)

Rai33
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 14, 2010 15:33 |  #5

Rob - yeah really seems that way. Pity though as from what i've read their modifiers are great. Guess could always look at using another brand speedring.

swalter - that would *possibly* resolve the studs hitting the strobe locking ring but still wouldn't stop the speedring from spinning while you try and fit it to the strobe.

NickP - nice controlled light. By any chance have you measured the 1x4' stripbox with a light meter to see how evenly it diffuses from top to bottom? Also where did you get the grid from?... i notice B&H have been waiting on stock for some time (and Amazon won''t ship those items down here!). Cheers.

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

NickP
43 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 14, 2010 19:00 |  #6

Did'nt measure the diffusion sorry. But have used it on 6 client shoots now and am VERY happy with it.
As for the speedring "spinning", not really an issue as the velcro closures on the rear allow "grip" access to hold whilst attaching the strobe. The bolts are way more the PITA.

I got the grid from Amazon and Softbox locally.

Quadra's, Ranger RX Speeds & Lots of Rotalux
www.draigphotography.c​om (external link)
www.timelessglamour.co​.uk (external link)

abdul10000
309 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 16, 2010 07:43 |  #7

here is the same but more detailed review on amazon with pictures
http://www.amazon.com …d=1268743345&sr​=8-1-spell (external link)

sponsored links

3,007 views & 0 likes for this thread
Creative Light Speedring for Elinchrom
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.