Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 Feb 2010 (Thursday) 08:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you follow a procedure when changing lenses

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 11, 2010 08:09 |  #1

The other day I was astonished when I watched a person change lenses with no concern for keeping dust out of the camera or lenses. I have always had a ritual, but now I am wondering how others do it.

My steps

1. Get out of direct sunlight; put lens cap on old lens.

2. Unscrew (but don't remove) the back cap of the new lens, stand the lens (rear end) up with the rear cap laying on top.

3. With the camera pointed to the ground (to keep dust from falling into the camera) remove the lens and place it next to the new lens

4. Place the rear cap from new lens on top of the old lens and put the new one on the camera that is still pointed to the ground.

5. Screw on the rear cap of the old lens and put it back in the bag.

6. Remove the lens cap and shoot.

I do steps 3 and 4 as quickly as possible to minimize the amount of dust getting, first into the camera, and second onto the rear of the lens.

The person that I watched was carrying on a conversation while she changed lenses. She had all of the lens caps off and laid the camera on a table facing straight up while she dug around in her bag. Watching her drove me nuts!

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,225 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 11, 2010 08:16 |  #2

I use to be much more careful and went to great lengths to avoid dust. But now that I have had gone through 5 different bodies and have been dealing with dust issues for several years, I'm much more relaxed. I do switch my lenses quickly but all this hanging upside down stuff does nothing. Dust happens and it's so simple to blow it out that it's not worth stressing over.

About the only time I will get out of the elements is if it's raining, really foggy, or really windy and dusty like at a beach. I'll change lenses in the car or go out with both bodies, one with a wide zoom and one with a long zoom and not change lenses.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 11, 2010 08:44 |  #3

Dust gets in whether I'm fastidious when changing lenses or not. It is easier to blow it out before a shoot than to always be freaky when swapping things around. I'd rather be fast at lens changes to get the shot and clone out some dust after than be slow and miss things.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 11, 2010 09:01 |  #4

1) Take off lens.
2) Put on another one.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,262 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 11, 2010 09:18 as a reply to  @ Cesium's post |  #5

I seldom change lenses in the field

The advantage of shooting with a pair of camera bodies is not only having a very wide focal range available (with great IQ and terrific AF along with relatively fast apertures and IS) is that I seldom need to change lenses in the field.

I not only do not miss out on shots while I am changing lenses, I am far more likely to use the correct focal length for each shot.

Finally, I have a backup camera immediately available and I also have longer battery life and greater CF memory since I am dividing my shots between two or more cameras.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 11, 2010 09:20 |  #6

My procedure:

1) Take
2) off
3) lens
4) put
5) on
6) another
7) one

Whew, I'm exhausted. :)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

hairy_moth
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 11, 2010 09:49 |  #7

Okay.. Thanks all for confirming that I really am anal; I have always suspected. :)
This is just a hobby for me, and while I do still have my old 300D, shooting with it is agony after using a the 7D; so two bodies is out.

With the exception of getting out of sunlight (a practice I adopted when using film), nothing about my routine really takes very long, so I'll stick with it when time is not critical.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 11, 2010 10:31 |  #8

I have six EOS bodies, the oldest being 3.5 years old, and nine lenses. To date I have only performed one wet clean and I have not used my Rocket blower for over a year. The wet clean was on my 30D after over a year of ownership, more like 15 months, I think. If I have dust then I don't see it. Whatever I am doing, it works for me. What I can say is that I rarely change lenses in the field. If I want more than one lens then I usually take two bodies and I sort out my lenses at home before I leave for my shoot. A short/wide f/2.8 zoom and a longer zoom have me well covered. I might take primes if I have concerns about the light, but I rarely use them.

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 11, 2010 11:05 |  #9

I used to be worried about dust and take every precaution before switching lenses, but I realized that the dust issue is no problem and a simple rocket blower will get rid of the issue.

The ONLY time I am cautious about switching out lenses, it when the air is damp or wet because the dust can stick to the sensor and a rocket blower won't get it off.

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,953 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 11, 2010 15:23 |  #10

hairy_moth wrote in post #9588384 (external link)
With the exception of getting out of sunlight (a practice I adopted when using film), nothing about my routine really takes very long, so I'll stick with it when time is not critical.

What's the point? Sure, sunlight can sneak in and fog film - maybe - when the lens is off, but that has no application at all with digital cameras.

Bright light on the sensor? I use a very bright LED light/magnifier when cleaning the sensor. Nothing wrong with that.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 11, 2010 15:33 |  #11

and besides, the curtain is covering the sensor from sunlight anyway...

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 11, 2010 18:15 as a reply to  @ DisrupTer911's post |  #12

I usually take the caps off my lenses before I ever start shooting and leave them off during the shoot. I'll take a lens off and drop it into a pouch without the caps so it's ready when I need it again. I also use Black Rapid straps and attach them to the tripod collar foot of my 70-200 or 100-400. I;ll even go so far as to remove the camera from the lens and leave the lens hanging from the strap with the back wide open while I shoot with a shorter lens on the camera.

I just love watching the OCD newbies spin up when I do that... :mrgreen:

John

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 11, 2010 18:27 |  #13

I cant say I have ever worried about dust when I change lenses. While I am far from reckless about it...I am just as far from careful.

It is funny hearing all the OCD stories about how careful people are about it. It seems the more people work with their cameras the less they obsess about it.

Lens caps off in a tray in a studio is nothing. I have seen working pros that keep their lenses at the ready on a lil blanket in the grass as they do an outdoor shoot, none of the lenses have either the front or rear cap in place. And they lay there by the hour.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,691 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 11, 2010 18:28 as a reply to  @ JWright's post |  #14

So why did you ask if it makes no difference to you?

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

matonanjin
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 11, 2010 19:00 |  #15

I shoot dirty, dusty horse shows for a living. I follow Cesium's procedure.

But I clean sensors after every week-end and send them in to be thoroughly cleaned once a year. And I'm with the Hoff. I can't worry about lens swapping at a shoot.

My Web Site (external link)

My Equine Photography Blog (external link)
My Stuff and Feedback

sponsored links

5,579 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you follow a procedure when changing lenses
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.