Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question!

this thread is locked
jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 11, 2010 13:59 |  #91

Mr. Clean wrote in post #9590083 (external link)
Eh, whatever you buy now will just be your backup camera to whatever you buy then :D

Me, coming from a 1 series, I love the d700. It's built like a 1 series and even FEELS more solid.

I agree. But, I've been spoiled by the 1Ds III resolution. :)

sponsored links
midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 11, 2010 14:00 as a reply to  @ post 9590083 |  #92

If they bring out a mini D3x I will be tempted to go back to Nikon. I really liked being able to use the old MF glass without an adapter. I also really liked having a 8 FPS FF cam. Their new 16-35mm f/4 VR looks very interesting too.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 11, 2010 14:02 as a reply to  @ post 9590083 |  #93

yeah, some of my friends have asked if I'll upgrade. The D700 is pretty perfect for me. It's a 1Dii with a 5D sensor basically. I miss video but not the MP of the 5Dii. In practice my lenses have been enough sharper that printing large hasn't been effected. Hopefully that won't change with the 16-35mm or possibly 28-75 swap.... The wide is where I really care though and Nikon has yet to make a bad wide. If it's a 25mp FF beast that can also do video AND 8fps, then I'd want one eventually, but I'm in no rush. If it's just 25mp (no 8 fps) I'm not really interested except to rent one occasionally when clients NEED mp, but a nikon to eos adapter will get me the same result. If it's just a video update, I'd want that, but again, no rush. We've been using the GF1 more and more for what we want video for, and it's got 720p with a direct record button.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 11, 2010 14:05 as a reply to  @ jacobsen1's post |  #94

you know, I really learned my lesson with canon. I was 95% happy with the 5D. Then I upgraded to the 1-series thinking I'd be happier. I wasn't. I AM happy with the D700 so I'm going to use/own it until I'm not happy with it (which I cannot imagine happening) :lol: Frankly I'm tired of spending $ on gear. I'd rather spend it going places to take photos.

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 11, 2010 15:41 |  #95

Touchdown1
MBD110, 24-70, 70-200 VRI.
Heh, everything but the camera is smaller than I expected. The camera + MBD10 is the real deal, the 24-70 seems impressivley sharp wide open, the 70-200 appears on par - slightly better - than the 70-200 2.8 IS. AF speed does not seem as fast as the Mark III + 70-200 however tracking is something else to test. The 24-70G + D700 appears to acquire AF faster.
One complaint. Why is there no place to mount your strap on the grip? Also, when moving back and forth between subjects lack in contrast, occasionally the camera does not re-AF. Perhaps I have a focus hunt turned off.
Canon moving sale coming up this weekend - but I think I will do a bit of side by side first just for arguements sake. At this point though, all the Canon gear is going.

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

Permagrin
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 11, 2010 15:46 as a reply to  @ Mr. Clean's post |  #96

Mike, I didn't like it that there was no place to mount the strap on the grip...bought the camdapter so I could use a handstrap.

Just read this from Rob Galbraith's 1DmkIV thread:

The D3S is an awesome basketball autofocus camera. From a higher level position with an AF-S VR NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED or AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR on the front, we've shot games with the D3S (and D3 and D700) where the camera refuses to miss. From court level, with the new AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II attached, the number of in-focus frames has been higher than we've achieved with any other camera/lens combo ever. The EOS-1D Mark IV isn't in the same league as the D3S for this sport.

http://www.robgalbrait​h.com …age.asp?cid=7-10048-10484 (external link)

he does talk about the nikon quirks too but that thread is pretty complimentary for a canon review.

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 11, 2010 15:58 |  #97

The camdapter is a handstrap isn't it? I need something that threads into the tripod plate threads or something of the like.

I hope the AF speed of the VRI is up to par with the VRII. There's a few things that have shooed me away from the VRII...

I'm completely taking RG with a GOS :D But, still seems like a decent review. I do think he's being a tad hard on the Mark IV.

Mike
Gear List

Permagrin
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 11, 2010 16:03 as a reply to  @ Mr. Clean's post |  #98

Thom Hogan said there was a barely discernable difference in AF speed btw vr1 & vr2 of the 70-200.

http://www.bythom.com/​nikkor-70-200-VR-II-lens.htm (external link)

Autofocus: Same. I don't see any large scale differences between the old and new lens. The new lens may focus a trifle faster in a few situations, but both lenses are capable performers.

you can just get the adapter, you don't have to buy a handstrap
http://www.camdapter.c​om/product_standard_ar​ca.html (external link)

edit: btw...I'm so torn btw. vr1 & 2 of the 70-200. I NEED 200mm close up. And I don't mind 80mm on the wide end. I'd like the sharpness of the new version in the corners but not at the expense of distance.

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 11, 2010 16:08 |  #99

Permagrin wrote in post #9591028 (external link)
Thom Hogan said there was a barely discernable difference in AF speed btw vr1 & vr2 of the 70-200.

Autofocus: Same. I don't see any large scale differences between the old and new lens. The new lens may focus a trifle faster in a few situations, but both lenses are capable performers.

you can just get the adapter, you don't have to buy a handstrap
http://www.camdapter.c​om/product_standard_ar​ca.html (external link)

I read that, I'm hoping it's true in real life!

WTF. No Manfrotto RC0 adapter? Frick! Thanks for the linky! I looked at their site and it wasn't apparent (IE, jumping out at me). I'm going to hunt for something a tad more cost effective - both plates won't mount on my tripod...

Mike
Gear List

Permagrin
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 11, 2010 16:09 |  #100

Mr. Clean wrote in post #9591059 (external link)
I read that, I'm hoping it's true in real life!

WTF. No Manfrotto RC0 adapter? Frick! Thanks for the linky! I looked at their site and it wasn't apparent (IE, jumping out at me). I'm going to hunt for something a tad more cost effective - both plates won't mount on my tripod...

I have an acratec tripod qr plate that I attach to the bottom of the arca swiss camdapter plate. I'm sure there's a better way but...:lol::lol:

radiohead
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 11, 2010 16:16 |  #101
bannedPermanent ban

Mr. Clean wrote in post #9588531 (external link)
There's some concerns about the hood allowing flare...One of the guys on the Cafe is having issues. JonathanF2 or something like that. most of my shots aren't looking for a good edge ot edge sharpness and I like 200mm when focusing close so I figured the VRI would be a good place to start.

Side note, your Xmas picture is the one that pushed me for the 85mm 1.4.

I've seen that thread. Can't say I've seen it myself. It's a fabulous lens though.

Glad you like the 85/.4. :)

Guy Collier Photography - Documentary Wedding Photographer (external link)
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
"It's no good saying "hold it" to a moment in real life." - Lord Snowdon
My kit

Thalagyrt
D'OH. I need to wake up some more.
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 11, 2010 16:25 as a reply to  @ radiohead's post |  #102

You know, that picture with the PMA2010 announcement... It looks more like a D3 type body than D700. It doesn't have the crack that would be a telltale sign of the popup flash. Then again it's marketing material, so who knows, but it looks more like a D3xs or something like that mayhaps? We'll see in a few weeks. :D

James

radiohead
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 11, 2010 16:31 |  #103
bannedPermanent ban

I call it differently - the AF on the new model is a lot more confident. Maybe not quicker but it's more accurate.

edit: btw...I'm so torn btw. vr1 & 2 of the 70-200. I NEED 200mm close up. And I don't mind 80mm on the wide end. I'd like the sharpness of the new version in the corners but not at the expense of distance.

Now, I'd buy the VRII. I just haven't seen the focus breathing as an issue at all. I'm rarely closer that 10ft to my subject with a 70-200 anyway and the new lens beats the old all ends up - contrast, sharpness, handling, colour, AF speed and accuracy.

Guy Collier Photography - Documentary Wedding Photographer (external link)
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
"It's no good saying "hold it" to a moment in real life." - Lord Snowdon
My kit

Tortie
809 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 11, 2010 16:46 |  #104

Hello everyone. I didn't read all of the posts, but I hope you don't mind me joining in.

I recently got the "is the grass always greener on the other side" curiosity bug and instead of going for my next lens, I decided to pick up a D3000 and 18-55 VR to compare against my XTi.

The body arrived two days ago and with all of our east coast snow, the lens didn't show up until today. From what I've read, the D3000 is supposedly "the worst" dSLR that Nikon's come out with. Then why did I choose it? Well, I wanted the size of a Rebel and I didn't want the (now outdated) 3 AF points of the D40/D40x/D60. AF points are a big thing for me and when I learned the D3000 had the updated 11 points from the D90, I was all over it.

First impressions? I like it! Took a little time getting used to the menus and how to change settings but after that, it was basically a breeze. I LOVE that default while in the "info" menu, the round directional pad is used to change the AF points. It's so much more convenient than my XTi (pushing the button, then choosing the point). Also, I LOVE the AF 3D tracking. Now, if I choose to focus and recompose, it actually KEEPS MY SUBJECT IN FOCUS (as it follows to a different AF point)! Amazing, IMO. So far also, the auto WB is a bit more "true to life" than on my XTi. I'm also pleasantly surprised with the 18-55 VR. I don't know if I got an exceptional copy but all of my images are sharp! Definitely a plus in my book. I've been struggling with my XTi (even since I've upgraded my 18-55 non-IS to the Sigma 18-50 2.8 Macro) to get sharp images. I don't know if it's the D3000, 18-55 VR, or both together, that's helping in that aspect.

The only thing so far that I've noticed is that when I take a shot, it takes a couple of seconds to transfer to the SD card. I took it outside and used continuous shooting (following my running dog) and while the pictures came out great, it was only able to take about 12 pictures (give or take, I may be way off) before the shooting stopped and it paused while the card-reading-light blinked. With my XTi, I can pretty much just hold the shutter button down as long as I'd like (taking who knows how many shots) and then as soon as I take my finger off, it's ready to go again.

With all of that said, I never had any problems with my XTi. I don't really have any gripes with it. I just wanted to try something new and I've always wondered what it would have been like to start out with Nikon. As of right now, I'm not sure which camera I'll keep but I am very much impressed with the AF system of the Nikon.

Nikon D5600 | Σ 18-300 + 30 1.4 + 135 1.8 ART + 150 2.8 Macro + 150-600 C

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 11, 2010 17:02 |  #105

Right on Tortie! In my experience, you need to spend huge money on SD cards to get a decent write time. Write time to SD cards is TERRIBLE.

I too am impressed with Nikons AF. So far, the D700 is one I can trust in AI servo even in static situations! It's a world different than your XTi. In my opinion, those older rebels are pretty tough to trust AF accuracy but they're good cameras.

radiohead wrote in post #9591220 (external link)
I call it differently - the AF on the new model is a lot more confident. Maybe not quicker but it's more accurate.

Now, I'd buy the VRII. I just haven't seen the focus breathing as an issue at all. I'm rarely closer that 10ft to my subject with a 70-200 anyway and the new lens beats the old all ends up - contrast, sharpness, handling, colour, AF speed and accuracy.

Guy, you jacka$$, if I end up upgrading because of you I'm going to bill you.

Mike
Gear List

sponsored links

735,033 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question!
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.