Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Oct 2009 (Tuesday) 00:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official: Canon 1D Mk IV

montanawild
680 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 11, 2010 15:38 |  #3676

Oh okay. However, the LCD not working is nothing minor. I would be pissed. LOL FWIW, I had mine out yesterday in 8-10°F weather and no issues. Lots of condensation on the rear lcd too. Unfortuneatly, the only moving thing on location was an American flag blowing in the wind. I wasted a hundred shots or so on it with the 600 f/4 IS.

1DmkIV, 5DmkII, 40Dw/grip
gear list:

http://dehaanphotograp​hy.net (external link)

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 11, 2010 15:54 |  #3677

montanawild wrote in post #9590773 (external link)
Your LCD? Or are you having other issues?

montanawild wrote in post #9590848 (external link)
Oh okay. However, the LCD not working is nothing minor. I would be pissed. LOL FWIW, I had mine out yesterday in 8-10°F weather and no issues. Lots of condensation on the rear lcd too. Unfortuneatly, the only moving thing on location was an American flag blowing in the wind. I wasted a hundred shots or so on it with the 600 f/4 IS.

8-10 degrees? It was so cold your MKIV didn't realize it was outside the specified operating temperature. Since I was shooting in a relatively cozy 32 degrees, it went "Aha! 32 degrees. Ding, ding, ding. Time to shut off the LCD!"

:lol:

Gotta just laugh about it b/c there's no use crying about it!;)

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

montanawild
680 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 11, 2010 15:56 |  #3678

Might as well laugh, beats the hell out of being pissed off.

1DmkIV, 5DmkII, 40Dw/grip
gear list:

http://dehaanphotograp​hy.net (external link)

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Feb 11, 2010 16:37 |  #3679

GyRob wrote in post #9590651 (external link)
well im very dissapointed in what im reading about the MK4 and RGs result just puts me off alltogather .
What the point in haveing a camera that MIGHT get the shot, i know i might not be say on the BIF well thats my fault, but if i was and then the camera decided not to focus that would drive me mad.
Rob.

Come back MK2 never a problem there.:pEven that poxy little 7d focuses where it should.

Gear List

PIXmantra
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 11, 2010 17:01 |  #3680

I can almost see it coming...

AliAyson wrote in post #9589659 (external link)
Nikon D3S autofocus (this was first posted at dpreview.com). The results posted here mirror the results I've been getting, particularly with indoor sports (in my case indoor soccer). In playing around with the custom functions, trying for better results, I ended up with the same settings mentioned in this article.

http://www.robgalbrait​h.com …age.asp?cid=7-10048-10484 (external link)

...Another anecdotical, unstructured, non-quantified, compilation of personal experiences and results... No vis-a-vis sequence, no mode-by-mode results, no quantified reports, etc. In other words, anyone with such pair of cams, could perfectly write such report, one way or the other. ;-)a

The funniest part is the DONATION remark, at the end, for "bandwidth cost" purposes... :lol:

I can already see it coming: "Conclusion: the EOS 1D MarkII/n performs better than the EOS 1D MarkIV"... :p

That's why (unfortunately) R.G.'s reviews no longer serve any actionable purpose... and he lost it right at the end of his 1D MarkIII's review, when the vast majority of photographers, out there, were already reporting a substantial (and satisfactory) boost in performance and consistency... while he stated "No news, here. Business as usual..."

Pathetic and perplexing, to say the least... Brand-new AF sytem, with more resolution, faster processing, new algorithms, capable of running red-hot, all the time, yet... does not seem be working (still) to his "satisfaction"... I ask: what's next, then?

The best thing he could do, at the moment, is to simply switch (permanently) to Nikon, and save himself the grief of all these reports!... but WAIT! no donations, then... :-D

NOTE: the ISo12,800 sample from the D3s looks noisy as hell, even at such TINY size... which, interestingly, I could not load up full/large size...

PIX

Click here for FlexNR-Professional Noise Reduction for EOS 1D3
CPS Member/ 2x1DMKIII/ 70D/ Pentax MX
300mm f/2.8 L II IS/ 24mm f/1.4 L II/ 35mm f/2.0 IS/ 17-40 f/4 L/ 24-105 f/4 L IS / 70-200 f/4 L IS
270EX/ 580EX/ 580EX II/ ST-E2/ CP-E3
HP Z800 x2 XEON, x12 Core/ EIZO CG241W/ Viewsonic VP930b

dkubek
192 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 11, 2010 19:39 |  #3681

Man, the way RG talks, my 40D destroys both Nikon and Canon's top tier cameras! I simply know this is not the case. I can consistently get sharply focused BIF, and sports shots (though I've never shot speed skating or track) all day long. I think he needs to go back to subject acquisition and tracking school!

1D Mk IV, 7D, XTi, 100-400L, 400 f/5.6L, 24-105L, 100mm macro, 1.4x TC, bunch of flashes, RRS BH-55, Manfrotto 055CXPro4 tripod x2
www.dkubekphotography.​com (external link)

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 11, 2010 20:48 |  #3682

I think professional sports photographers who use either Nikon or Canon "pro" camera bodies for a living, and depend on their cameras to "get the shot" when it matters most, would be better "testers" for the cameras, regardless of whether or not they are sponsored by Nikon or Canon, as their livelihood depends on their equipment working when they need it to work.

Sure, the cameras may not work 100% of the time...NO CAMERA does, but if the Canon 1D Mark IV, or Nikon D3s, or any other camera that gets NEGATIVE reviews were as BAD as R.G. (or other so called "expert" testers) seem to make them out to be, I seriously doubt that SO MANY professional photographers would choose to use them, and RELY on them to make their living.

I'm not saying that there aren't faults with the 1D Mark IV, or Nikon D3s, or whatever camera you wish to name, there's faults with models of every product. But IMHO this is in the significant MINORITY of the total of number of models or each product.

Even in the much ballyhooed negative results of the 1D Mark III, which indeed was a very serious problem, but even some of those whose cameras were in the "faulty serial number range" claim they never had a problem with their camera, so perhaps paranoia had a small part to play in the negativity. Again, not denying there were or are problems, just saying that perhaps R.G. is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

After all, we all know that controversy sells.

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

michael_
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 11, 2010 21:06 |  #3683

wooohooo my first of two is being hand delivered by my retailer tonight.

ichael ... (external link)
vettas media (external link) (me) | myGear (all my equipment) | sportshooter (external link) (my sportsshooter member page)

AliAyson
257 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 11, 2010 21:35 as a reply to  @ Canonswhitelensesrule's post |  #3684

Hey, isn't there a Canon utility which shows what Custom function settings were set when you shot a particular picture? I could have sworn that DPP displayed this info but I'm not seeing it. Tonight I went back to the indoor soccer arena and took some more pics with my Mark IV. The results were much better than what I experienced 2 days ago. I was playing around the autofocus sensitivity but I'm not sure what it was set to for which series of photos. I could have sworn I've seen this info before when looking at pictures from my 1D Mark II (in DPP or EOSViewer). I don't see this info in either utility though.

My thinking was that perhaps I needed to make the autofocus sensitivity faster in order for the camera to keep up with a moving subject--particurlarly a subject running towards me--so I set it as fast as possible. I think that's what helped but I can't tell because I'm not sure when I the setting to fast (2) and when it was set to 0. Whatever the reason, I'm much happier with the shots I got tonight.

dkubek
192 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 11, 2010 21:44 |  #3685

AliAyson wrote in post #9592907 (external link)
Hey, isn't there a Canon utility which shows what Custom function settings were set when you shot a particular picture? I could have sworn that DPP displayed this info but I'm not seeing it. Tonight I went back to the indoor soccer arena and took some more pics with my Mark IV. The results were much better than what I experienced 2 days ago. I was playing around the autofocus sensitivity but I'm not sure what it was set to for which series of photos. I could have sworn I've seen this info before when looking at pictures from my 1D Mark II (in DPP or EOSViewer). I don't see this info in either utility though.

My thinking was that perhaps I needed to make the autofocus sensitivity faster in order for the camera to keep up with a moving subject--particurlarly a subject running towards me--so I set it as fast as possible. I think that's what helped but I can't tell because I'm not sure when I the setting to fast (2) and when it was set to 0. Whatever the reason, I'm much happier with the shots I got tonight.

Good to hear! Way to keep with it and not chalk it up to "this camera sucks!"

1D Mk IV, 7D, XTi, 100-400L, 400 f/5.6L, 24-105L, 100mm macro, 1.4x TC, bunch of flashes, RRS BH-55, Manfrotto 055CXPro4 tripod x2

AliAyson
257 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 11, 2010 21:55 |  #3686

Image samples from tonight. I know that I had C.FnIII-2-2 set for this picture. According to the manual this the faster setting will "make it easier to focus on any subject that enters from the side", which isn't describing a subject running towards you, but the results are better than what I've seen with c.FnIII-2-0. I've attached some samples.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

AliAyson
257 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 11, 2010 21:57 |  #3687

Two more in the series. I haven't done any processing or anything, the pictures aren't all that exciting. I'm just posting to show the pictures remained in focus.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

AliAyson
257 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 11, 2010 22:00 |  #3688

last one in series. Two nights ago the 4th or 5th would probably have been blurry, those are the results I was getting. I might have had the autosensitivity set to one tick slower (-1)? for the pictures two nights ago. I can't remember.

HOSTED PHOTO

dkubek
192 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 11, 2010 22:02 |  #3689

Your daughter looks so different these days!:lol:

AliAyson
257 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 11, 2010 22:05 as a reply to  @ dkubek's post |  #3690

lol! This is her friend who was on her team (you can see my daughter in the background playing goalie). I figured people were probably getting pretty bored with pictures of my daughter! Funny thing is you'd NEVER guess that my daughter was my natural child. I'm of Irish decent but my husband is Filipino. Don't see much Irish in my daughter...(she does have one single blonde hair in the front).

sponsored links

1,076,974 views & 3 likes for this thread
Official: Canon 1D Mk IV
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.