Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Feb 2010 (Thursday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

rob galbraith's review of 1d mark IV autofocus ......

this thread is locked
westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 11, 2010 17:28 as a reply to  @ post 9591511 |  #61

I don't think Canon 1DIV vs Nikon 1D3 means much....

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=825611

If I may present my take...

:)

IMAGES (external link)

VIDEO YouTube (external link)

VIDEO Vimeo (external link)

sponsored links
benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 11, 2010 17:37 |  #62

I'm no sports shooter, I've only used servo mode a handful of times on my 7D (thought It was quite good :p )... but, I'm not going to go to great efforts like some people here to try and scoop the Canon up off the floor to try and save it from that review, if he's being honest, the Nikon does a better job.

However, yes..you can't help but notice the numerous Nikon ad's, and from that I'm reminded that no matter how clear-cut and definitive any data is, anyone can blag and use poetic licence to disregard the facts completely. It's media, politics and phycology.

I'm not saying the review is useless, Im saying go to DPreview or IR instead :)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 11, 2010 17:40 |  #63

benesotor wrote in post #9591568 (external link)
I'm not saying the review is useless, Im saying go to DPreview or IR instead :)

DPReview petulantly refused to ever review the 1D Mark III because Canon did not give them advanced notice or provide an early camera to test for free.

So it's kind of hard to go to DPReview for an unbiased review. They only review cameras from companies that give them perks.

Which does a lot more damage to the reputation of DPReview than it does to Canon IMO. When I read a really glowing review at DPReview I'm thinking "Wow, the camera rep sure must have given them some nice freebies this time".

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 11, 2010 17:54 |  #64

DwightMcCann wrote in post #9591511 (external link)
I have now shot concerts and boxing with my 1DMIV and while I think it is marginally better than my 1DMIII's I'm not blown away.

Dwight. If your Mk III was awesome then your Mk IV is even greater - no problem surely.

So how was your Mk III?

droopy1592
56 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 11, 2010 18:30 |  #65

Tom W wrote in post #9591349 (external link)
LOL - your post has been linked to FM twice. :)

I'm sorry but I can't reconcile RG's opinion with the fact that he's heavily advertizing for Nikon. A grain of salt, at least, is necessary.

This one is worse!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i79.photobucket​.com …4/droopy1592/ga​lnikon.jpg (external link)

| Canon 7D| Canon 5D|Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS| Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II |
my photos on flickr (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 11, 2010 18:31 |  #66

How many keepers did he get in Manual Focus?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sadowsk2
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 11, 2010 19:12 as a reply to  @ westernminnguy's post |  #67

A few items of note:

#1: I'm not going to diss RG's review, as I think he's made some viable observations with his 1 sample. What I would like to see is him testing it with the 1.0.6 firmware (for better or for worse).

#2: I'll take his review along with my own personal experience from owning one (albeit for only 2 weeks and not having had a chance to shoot sports yet), as well as the numerous other folks who own this camera and have a good experience with it.

#3: Back to the firmware. Did his D3S have the 1.0.1 firmware that resolved the following errors on the Nikon side:
- errors pertaining to movie recording, exposure preview, live view and the 'CHA' error message displayed while using some CF cards (source: DP Review).

Bottom line: my camera is suiting my needs and I love it... And alot of other folks on POTN love theirs... The NIkonians can love their D3S and thats fine, its a great camera as well... Both need competent users to truely make them shine@!

1D Mk IV, 5D Gripped, 30D
35L | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L |16-35L | 24-70L |[COLOR=black] 24-105L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 100-400L | 15mm fisheye | 580EX II x2 | 430EX

Canon S3IS

mike ­ ca
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 11, 2010 19:57 |  #68

For me its a wait an see I got burnt on two brand new Mark III's it will never happen again! I would just like to see a few more AF reviews before I pull the trigger....

Canon EOS-1D X ,5D mark III, 400 2.8 ISL,300 2.8 ISL, 70-200 2.8 II ISL,,135 2.0L,85 1.2L,24-70 2.8L,2x 580EX II Wimberley wh-200, Gitzo 3530lsv, Epson 9900, LR, Aperture, CS6,MacBook Pro, Profoto D4R 2400x2, Profoto B4 1000 Air, CPS Platinum Member

Sgt.Ed
271 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 11, 2010 20:04 |  #69

I am not a pro. For me it is a hobby but one that I am immersing myself in. RG's reviews of both the MK III and MK IV provide a forum for discussion. My 40D is not a bad camera it was simply a little lacking for some of my needs:hockey and dance. Outside it was spot on. My MK IV has provided me with options I did not have two weeks ago. So far it has surpassed my expecations but I have yet to get into a hockey rink although dance competitions are not well lit. I agree with "sadowsk2": I really love this MK IV and it is meeting my needs(so far). RG's review of the MK III did not stop me from staying with Canon but the many informed postings on POTN certainly gave me information to make an informed decision. I'm happy with my MK IV but if there is a problem I want Canon to address it. I am certain that the posters on POTN will continue to disect the MK IV and I look forward to what is said.

Ed
GEAR40D, 1D MKIV, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L, 500 f4.0L, Canon 1.4 teleconverter, 580 EXII Speedlite, Gitzo GT 3530LS, Wimberly WH-200, 190X PROB Manfrotto tripod and a bunch of other stuff
MYFlickr (external link)

PIXmantra
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 11, 2010 22:47 as a reply to  @ post 9590189 |  #70

I warned MONTHS ago that this will happen...

(verbatim copy from my last post on this subject)...

...Another anecdotical, unstructured, non-quantified, compilation of personal experiences and results... No vis-a-vis sequence, no mode-by-mode results, no quantified reports, etc. In other words, anyone with such pair of cams, could perfectly write such report, one way or the other. :wink:

The funniest part is the DONATION remark, at the end, for "bandwidth cost" purposes... :lol:

I can already see it coming: "Conclusion: the EOS 1D MarkII/n performs better than the EOS 1D MarkIV"... :p

That's why (unfortunately) R.G.'s reviews no longer serve any actionable purpose... and he lost it right at the end of his 1D MarkIII's review, when the vast majority of photographers, out there, were already reporting a substantial (and satisfactory) boost in performance and consistency... while he stated "No news, here. Business as usual..."

Pathetic and perplexing, to say the least... Brand-new AF sytem, with more resolution, faster processing, new algorithms, capable of running red-hot, all the time, yet... does not seem be working (still) to his "satisfaction"... I ask: what's next, then?

The best thing he could do, at the moment, is to simply switch (permanently) to Nikon, and save himself the grief of all these reports!... but WAIT! no donations, then... :grin:

NOTE: the ISo12,800 sample from the D3s looks noisy as hell, even at such TINY size... which, interestingly, I could not load up full/large size...

PIX

Click here for FlexNR-Professional Noise Reduction for EOS 1D3
CPS Member/ 2x1DMKIII/ 70D/ Pentax MX
300mm f/2.8 L II IS/ 24mm f/1.4 L II/ 35mm f/2.0 IS/ 17-40 f/4 L/ 24-105 f/4 L IS / 70-200 f/4 L IS
270EX/ 580EX/ 580EX II/ ST-E2/ CP-E3
HP Z800 x2 XEON, x12 Core/ EIZO CG241W/ Viewsonic VP930b

PIXmantra
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 11, 2010 23:10 |  #71

He is not...

TaDa wrote in post #9590065 (external link)
He gets detailed in his review,

...He does not. He does not quantify, he does not report in a structured, organized and methodical manner (but very few can manage to perform the opposite). All I see is a bunch of words, typed up in paragraphs, and that can be done by anyone.

I want to see vis-a-vis, frame-by-frame samples under controlled or (at least) repeatable conditions, by most of us, specifc method of AF and cam operation (again, so I can repeat it on my side), detailed description and tracking of Action-Reaction (or "causality"), when dealing with different settings (again, so I can repeat on my side), etc.

TaDa wrote in post #9590065 (external link)
Definitely not a good review.

Fully agree. A very poorly put review, which is bested (by miles) by this one:

http://uniquephoto.blo​gspot.com/2010...ing-david.html (external link)

Not only I received via P.M., but also has been posted here already.

From the above link:

"As for autofocus, the Canon 1D series has always been faster than the Nikon D series. While the Mark III had its own set of issues, the pure speed of the focusing and its ability to acquire and track a subject is faster than Nikon. Not to say that Nikon is slow, in fact it is quite speedy, but that is where Canon has its edge. This remains true on the 1D Mark IV vs. D3s argument. While the D3s is scary-fast, the Mark IV still bests it. Both cameras are fantastic, and I would not encourage someone owning a full set of Canon lenses to switch to Nikon or vice versa."

Notice that R.G. completely fails to mention that, if you switch Focus Tracking Priority on the D3 (and maybe the D3s since it is the same AF CAM module), the camera slows down to crawl, as reported (in several instances) by actual Nikon users in several places...

PIX

300mm f/2.8 L II IS/ 24mm f/1.4 L II/ 35mm f/2.0 IS/ 17-40 f/4 L/ 24-105 f/4 L IS / 70-200 f/4 L IS

radiohead
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 12, 2010 02:03 |  #72
bannedPermanent ban

PIXmantra wrote in post #9593461 (external link)
...He does not. He does not quantify, he does not report in a structured, organized and methodical manner (but very few can manage to perform the opposite). All I see is a bunch of words, typed up in paragraphs, and that can be done by anyone.

I want to see vis-a-vis, frame-by-frame samples under controlled or (at least) repeatable conditions, by most of us, specifc method of AF and cam operation (again, so I can repeat it on my side), detailed description and tracking of Action-Reaction (or "causality"), when dealing with different settings (again, so I can repeat on my side), etc.

I'm sure that everyone is looking forward to your reviews, based on extensive use of both cameras.

Fully agree. A very poorly put review, which is bested (by miles) by this one:

Bested because you prefer the results no doubt. Note that this review satisfies none of your desired criteria:

'I want to see vis-a-vis, frame-by-frame samples under controlled or (at least) repeatable conditions, by most of us, specifc method of AF and cam operation (again, so I can repeat it on my side), detailed description and tracking of Action-Reaction (or "causality"), when dealing with different settings (again, so I can repeat on my side), etc.'

Funny that.

Not only I received via P.M., but also has been posted here already.

Well, if you received a PM then it must be true. That certainly trumps any review.

Notice that R.G. completely fails to mention that, if you switch Focus Tracking Priority on the D3 (and maybe the D3s since it is the same AF CAM module), the camera slows down to crawl, as reported (in several instances) by actual Nikon users in several places...

PIX

Is that the case, or is it actually to do with the AF-Tracking with Lock On function or too low a shutter speed to maintain full fps (as with every camera ever made). If you'd used the camera you'd know this to be the case.

This claim is an absolute fallacy. Absolute, and frankly for someone who claims to want repeatable, controlled tests and results what you ask for and what you then make claims for are very different. So, go and get a D3, switch focus priority on and see for yourself. It's ever so easy to check. But you won't do that will you - you'll continue to make baseless and incorrect claims about a camera that you've never used because that's what you do.

Guy Collier Photography - Documentary Wedding Photographer (external link)
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
"It's no good saying "hold it" to a moment in real life." - Lord Snowdon
My kit

PIXmantra
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 12, 2010 02:27 |  #73

Don't waste your time here...

radiohead wrote in post #9594050 (external link)
This claim is an absolute fallacy. Absolute, and frankly for someone who claims to want repeatable, controlled tests and results what you ask for and what you then make claims for are very different. So, go and get a D3, switch focus priority on and see for yourself. It's ever so easy to check. But you won't do that will you - you'll continue to make baseless and incorrect claims about a camera that you've never used because that's what you do.

You should spend this amount of energy and focus (following me everywhere, like some sort of obsessed/vexed mall-cop), on actually addressing this very same topic on the confinement and comfort of your own thread:

https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9557396&p​ostcount=8

It seems that you were much more calmed and civil back in there... to the point that you did not even address the main conditions later explained... I wonder why so much anger, now... :cool:

PIX

radiohead
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 12, 2010 02:37 |  #74
bannedPermanent ban

PIXmantra wrote in post #9594088 (external link)
You should spend this amount of energy and focus (following me everywhere, like some sort of obsessed/vexed mall-cop), on actually addressing this very same topic on the confinement and comfort of your own thread:

https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9557396&p​ostcount=8

It seems that you were much more calmed and civil back in there... to the point that you did not even address the main conditions later explained... I wonder why so much anger, now... :cool:

PIX

You did read down the thread there didn't you? Still, I'm sure you'll be able to find loads of posts on Nikon forums about it as it's such a well-known problem. Except you won't, because it isn't. It's a pretty basic psychological response you're displaying known as transference. First-year stuff. Predictable, but understandable.

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=9560215&po​stcount=16

Its a shutter speed related issue.

When you've used a D3 or D3s for myself you'll be in a position to make claims about it, until then your opinions are worthless.

Guy Collier Photography - Documentary Wedding Photographer (external link)
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
"It's no good saying "hold it" to a moment in real life." - Lord Snowdon
My kit

sethultimate
212 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 12, 2010 03:27 |  #75

JeffreyG wrote in post #9591581 (external link)
DPReview petulantly refused to ever review the 1D Mark III because Canon did not give them advanced notice or provide an early camera to test for free.

So it's kind of hard to go to DPReview for an unbiased review. They only review cameras from companies that give them perks.

Which does a lot more damage to the reputation of DPReview than it does to Canon IMO. When I read a really glowing review at DPReview I'm thinking "Wow, the camera rep sure must have given them some nice freebies this time".

that's not what happened. Phil was mad at canon because letsgodigital came out with a new canon before time and canon did nothing about it.
Then phil never tested the AF for any camera. For him the 10D was a good camera but the AF was never tested. It takes a little more than reading the press releases to perform some accurate testing of the AF like Galbraith did.

back to the 10D after months of users complaining about the jumping AF while the D100 was always spot on he added a note saying that there was a little of a problem , coming from reports of the users about the 10D AF engine.
that's admirable, also considering that he does the camera review thing for a living..

sorry but that had to be said.

sponsored links

66,422 views & 0 likes for this thread
rob galbraith's review of 1d mark IV autofocus ......
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.