Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Feb 2010 (Thursday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

rob galbraith's review of 1d mark IV autofocus ......

this thread is locked
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,318 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 12, 2010 03:30 as a reply to  @ post 9594101 |  #76

Rob Gailbraith is excellent. His review will make a hardly used 1D Mark IV worth less than bellybutton lint would go for. Maybe I should get myself a cheap, used and utterly worthless 1D Mark IV now, instead of an expensive compact Ixus?

As the 1D Mark IV is useless for photography, I could let it be a fancy book-support in my bookshelf! :rolleyes:
Meanwhile, I can spend my time taming the 7D...

Anders

sponsored links
sethultimate
212 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 12, 2010 04:10 |  #77

apersson850 wrote in post #9594214 (external link)
Rob Gailbraith is excellent. His review will make a hardly used 1D Mark IV worth less than bellybutton lint would go for. Maybe I should get myself a cheap, used and utterly worthless 1D Mark IV now, instead of an expensive compact Ixus?

As the 1D Mark IV is useless for photography, I could let it be a fancy book-support in my bookshelf! :rolleyes:
Meanwhile, I can spend my time taming the 7D...

true ... III's can be had for 1.8K on craigslist

primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
2,532 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 12, 2010 04:57 |  #78

I have been using mk4 for good month and half by now. In this time I have been shooting about 20 alpine skiing World cup races, where skiers are A LOT faster then some speed skater. Next to that, you have pretty good chance, that you are standing somewhere on the hill, where you see skier just a split second before you need to take photo, so there's not much time to track them (opposite of speed skating, where you have huge amount of time, to track skater before you press shutter).
I was everything but happy with mk3. It was crap and shouldn't even be called camera. With mk4 on the other side, I'm quite happy. Sure there are out of focus photos. But they were also with mk1 and mk2. In general I would say there's less out of focus photos with mk4 then it was with mk2, and for most of them, it's operators error, not camera error (with mk3 it was camera error, and percentage of in focus photos was pretty much equal as percentage of out of focus shots with mk2 or mk4 is).
So to be honest, I don't care what Galbraith say this time. If it's working fine for me, I'm happy with it. And to be honest, I do get feeling from time to time, that there are some thing which we don't know behind all this. Is he all of a sudden just Nikon fanboy? I really doubt, but it wouldn't be so impossible. Is there some grunge between him and Canon? Maybe, and it's much more possible then him being fanboy. Does he get a lot more money from Nikon then from Canon, and this influence part of his results? Most likely. But I'm pretty sure, noone of us will never know real answers to these question. But personally I take his reports with a bit of safety margin.

PhotoSI (external link) | Latest sport photos (external link)http://www.photo.si (external link)

PaulB
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 12, 2010 05:03 as a reply to  @ primoz's post |  #79

Does anyone here know what the MkIII problem really was? Why it did/didn't do what the AF was supposed to.
I do.
Let's see if anyone else does shall we?
Post away.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 12, 2010 05:28 |  #80

sethultimate wrote in post #9594204 (external link)
that's not what happened. Phil was mad at canon because letsgodigital came out with a new canon before time and canon did nothing about it.
Then phil never tested the AF for any camera. For him the 10D was a good camera but the AF was never tested. It takes a little more than reading the press releases to perform some accurate testing of the AF like Galbraith did.

back to the 10D after months of users complaining about the jumping AF while the D100 was always spot on he added a note saying that there was a little of a problem , coming from reports of the users about the 10D AF engine.
that's admirable, also considering that he does the camera review thing for a living..

sorry but that had to be said.

The 10D was released in March of 2003. The 1D Mark III was released in April 2007. I'm not talking about the 10D release.

The incident I'm referring to was in 2007, and is why there is no 1D Mark III review on DPReview to this day.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 12, 2010 06:06 |  #81

Haha, you guys insecure much? He's just reviewing a camera, if you don't believe him or think he has a conflict of interest, don't read it or don't pay attention to it. This is a 6 page thread about RG, with little mention of the 1D MKIV's AF. I'm sure he wouldn't mind Canon sponsoring his site too, maybe he just couldn't work out a deal. Don't worry guys, I'm sure there will be people out there saying nice things about the MKIV soon enough. :lol:

I mean, to say that his review of the MKIII's AF was false/biased/unfair essentially discredits anyone who ever had an issue with it, and there were quite a few people who had problems with it. Sure, some people didn't have issues with it, but there certainly WERE issues with it, or Canon wouldn't have recalled the camera 3 times to try and fix it.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 12, 2010 06:13 |  #82

primoz wrote in post #9594337 (external link)
I have been using mk4 for good month and half by now. In this time I have been shooting about 20 alpine skiing World cup races, where skiers are A LOT faster then some speed skater. Next to that, you have pretty good chance, that you are standing somewhere on the hill, where you see skier just a split second before you need to take photo, so there's not much time to track them (opposite of speed skating, where you have huge amount of time, to track skater before you press shutter).
I was everything but happy with mk3. It was crap and shouldn't even be called camera. With mk4 on the other side, I'm quite happy. Sure there are out of focus photos. But they were also with mk1 and mk2. In general I would say there's less out of focus photos with mk4 then it was with mk2, and for most of them, it's operators error, not camera error (with mk3 it was camera error, and percentage of in focus photos was pretty much equal as percentage of out of focus shots with mk2 or mk4 is).

Finally. At least. Praise the Lord.

A pro who has been using and abusing his Mk IV (sorry if that sounds rude) in letting us all know how it fairs.

We should have a separate thread that contains posts like this and also from the Birders, etc.

I'm not saying don't put anything in there if someone has problems but it would give a better understanding of where this beast works best etc etc.

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 12, 2010 07:12 |  #83

So to be honest, I don't care what Galbraith say this time. If it's working fine for me, I'm happy with it. And to be honest, I do get feeling from time to time, that there are some thing which we don't know behind all this. Is he all of a sudden just Nikon fanboy? I really doubt, but it wouldn't be so impossible. Is there some grunge between him and Canon? Maybe, and it's much more possible then him being fanboy. Does he get a lot more money from Nikon then from Canon, and this influence part of his results? Most likely. But I'm pretty sure, noone of us will never know real answers to these question. But personally I take his reports with a bit of safety margin.

Thank you so much for posting this.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

sethultimate
212 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 12, 2010 07:31 |  #84

JeffreyG wrote in post #9594400 (external link)
The 10D was released in March of 2003. The 1D Mark III was released in April 2007. I'm not talking about the 10D release.

The incident I'm referring to was in 2007, and is why there is no 1D Mark III review on DPReview to this day.

nah it doesn't have nuthing to do with the 10D, nor the 1DIII .. it was another canon camera that went on the letsgodigital site before time.

phil was upset (rightly) because canon acted like nuthing happened while he had to respect the non disclosure agreement while others could easily get away with it.

but there was another "incident" even before that, this time involving the canon site itself. and again Phil was right.
http://www.dpreview.co​m …/04081909canon_​eos20d.asp (external link)

so it goes back to quite some time (the canon affair LOL)

but again Phil never tested any AF. ever. and after Galbraith and his tests of the III lots of professional reviewers went well exposed for not testing anything and just read and report the press releases.

this is the second time I'm saying this and there won't be a third time.

radiohead
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 12, 2010 07:40 |  #85
bannedPermanent ban

sethultimate wrote in post #9594734 (external link)
nah it doesn't have nuthing to do with the 10D, nor the 1DIII .. it was another canon camera that went on the letsgodigital site before time.

phil was upset (rightly) because canon acted like nuthing happened while he had to respect the non disclosure agreement while others could easily get away with it.

but there was another "incident" even before that, this time involving the canon site itself. and again Phil was right.
http://www.dpreview.co​m …/04081909canon_​eos20d.asp (external link)

so it goes back to quite some time (the canon affair LOL)

but again Phil never tested any AF. ever. and after Galbraith and his tests of the III lots of professional reviewers went well exposed for not testing anything and just read report the press releases.

this is the second time I'm saying this and there won't be a third time.

It's mentioned here:

http://forums.dpreview​.com …30595&q=1DIII+r​eview&qf=m (external link)

And for those still discussing the 1DIII's lack of review - our failure to review it was nothing to do with any relationship between Phil and Canon, it was because dpreview was moving office, employing and training new staff, during one of the busiest periods of DSLR releases ever. Work was done on a 1DIII review (I've shot over 1000 would-be gallery images with it), but by the time we had an opportunity to review it, it'd been on the market for almost a year and everything likely to be said about it had already been said. That is the one and only reason.

Richard - dpreview.com

Guy Collier Photography - Documentary Wedding Photographer (external link)
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
"It's no good saying "hold it" to a moment in real life." - Lord Snowdon
My kit

AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,121 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 12, 2010 07:55 |  #86

So the D3s is better. I could have told you that ;)

flickr (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 12, 2010 08:10 |  #87

AdamLewis wrote in post #9594814 (external link)
So the D3s is better. I could have told you that ;)

Doh!

PIXmantra
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 12, 2010 08:34 |  #88

You maybe waiting for...

PaulB wrote in post #9594349 (external link)
Does anyone here know what the MkIII problem really was? Why it did/didn't do what the AF was supposed to.
I do.
Let's see if anyone else does shall we?
Post away.

... a long time... before any clear, concise and actionable responses appear, though... :cool:

And there are specific reasons for that.

PIX

Click here for FlexNR-Professional Noise Reduction for EOS 1D3
CPS Member/ 2x1DMKIII/ 70D/ Pentax MX
300mm f/2.8 L II IS/ 24mm f/1.4 L II/ 35mm f/2.0 IS/ 17-40 f/4 L/ 24-105 f/4 L IS / 70-200 f/4 L IS
270EX/ 580EX/ 580EX II/ ST-E2/ CP-E3
HP Z800 x2 XEON, x12 Core/ EIZO CG241W/ Viewsonic VP930b

PIXmantra
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 12, 2010 08:44 |  #89

You now have a BIG problem, now...

(...) With mk4 on the other side, I'm quite happy. Sure there are out of focus photos.

(...)

So to be honest, I don't care what Galbraith say this time. If it's working fine for me, I'm happy with it.

As you will soon discover that, if R.G. is not happy, your happiness bears no relevance. Weirdo, isn't it? :D

And DO NOT even think of challenging the man's findings... or you will have a sheeps' stampede... coming right at you! :p

Imagine all those very happy, very excited 1D3 users out-there getting pretty much all the needed/wanted out of the camera, and working just fine for them...

No escape, then? :cool:

PIX

Click here for FlexNR-Professional Noise Reduction for EOS 1D3
CPS Member/ 2x1DMKIII/ 70D/ Pentax MX
300mm f/2.8 L II IS/ 24mm f/1.4 L II/ 35mm f/2.0 IS/ 17-40 f/4 L/ 24-105 f/4 L IS / 70-200 f/4 L IS
270EX/ 580EX/ 580EX II/ ST-E2/ CP-E3
HP Z800 x2 XEON, x12 Core/ EIZO CG241W/ Viewsonic VP930b

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 12, 2010 08:44 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #90

well I'm reviewing the 169 Basketball photos avail for download

10 images @ iso 200 strobbed AF tracking method: Main focus point priority
14 images @ iso 4000 AF tracking method: Main focus point priority
24 images @ iso 8000 AF tracking method: Main focus point priority
121 images @ iso 10000 still reviewing

I haven't reviewed them all yet but I have not seen one image that IMO has the camera set properly for multi person sport (eg. basketball)

every image so far as the

Auto focus / Drive AI Servo AF tracking method set to MAIN focus point priority

IMO - the camera should be set to

Continous AF track priority

IMO any discussion of the reviewers opinions and statistical results obtained with the camera set to Main focus point priority for multi person sports should include a disclaimer that maybe the camera was probably not set properly to obtain optimized images.

sponsored links

66,423 views & 0 likes for this thread
rob galbraith's review of 1d mark IV autofocus ......
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.