Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question!

this thread is locked
Tortie
809 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 11, 2010 17:09 |  #106

Mr. Clean wrote in post #9591413 (external link)
Right on Tortie! In my experience, you need to spend huge money on SD cards to get a decent write time. Write time to SD cards is TERRIBLE.

I too am impressed with Nikons AF. So far, the D700 is one I can trust in AI servo even in static situations! It's a world different than your XTi. In my opinion, those older rebels are pretty tough to trust AF accuracy but they're good cameras.

Thanks! That first sentence made me feel so much better about trying out a new camera. :D

That is one thing that I would've liked the D3000 to use, CF cards. I feel they're a little more durable (physically and write-ability wise). I'm a fan of Lexar and since I've got one of their 233x CF cards, I decided to go for their 133x SD card. I suppose the write time could be worse, it just is noticeably slower than my XTi.

I can never use AI Servo on my XTi. Every shot comes out either completely blurry or focused on the wrong point. I thought it was me (still very well could be) but either way, it's unusable to me. I also like Nikon's AF-C (auto, I believe?) option. Amazes me how accurate it is.

EDIT: And.. I might have just found out why it was so slow to write to the SD card. I was experimenting with the D-Lighting feature and forgot to turn it off before I went outside. Probably the reason it took so long, ha.

Nikon D5600 | Σ 18-300 + 30 1.4 + 135 1.8 ART + 150 2.8 Macro + 150-600 C

sponsored links
Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 11, 2010 17:23 |  #107

Hey lookie here for bottom of the camera/grip strap mounting option for cheap

http://www.blackrapid.​com/product/hardware/f​astenr/ (external link)

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 11, 2010 17:30 |  #108

Mr. Clean wrote in post #9591500 (external link)
Hey lookie here for bottom of the camera/grip strap mounting option for cheap

http://www.blackrapid.​com/product/hardware/f​astenr/ (external link)

I do not really trust those. I had one almost drop a 1d2 with a 100-400 on it. Maybe I had to much weight but I have never had an issue with my manfrotto QR plate.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 11, 2010 17:33 |  #109

midnight_rider wrote in post #9591529 (external link)
I do not really trust those. I had one almost drop a 1d2 with a 100-400 on it. Maybe I had to much weight but I have never had an issue with my manfrotto QR plate.

Good point, good first hand knowledge. Enough for me to avoid it. I was thinking about popping the D-ring out and put a heavy duty key chain ring on it. I'll have to see if my QR plates have strap mount points...

Mike
Gear List

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 11, 2010 18:56 as a reply to  @ Mr. Clean's post |  #110

Mike, get a RRS plate for the camera. If you don't use tripods a lot, get the flat plate for the bottom. But it gives you acra compatibility AND a lug for a strap in a very slim profile. Bonus points if you go L-bracket, you won't regret it if you use your tripod at all. I regret not getting one sooner honestly.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 11, 2010 19:16 |  #111

Thalagyrt wrote in post #9591178 (external link)
You know, that picture with the PMA2010 announcement... It looks more like a D3 type body than D700. It doesn't have the crack that would be a telltale sign of the popup flash. Then again it's marketing material, so who knows, but it looks more like a D3xs or something like that mayhaps? We'll see in a few weeks. :D

Sounds good to me. I can wait a few more weeks. :D

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 11, 2010 20:30 |  #112

jacobsen1 wrote in post #9592013 (external link)
Mike, get a RRS plate for the camera. If you don't use tripods a lot, get the flat plate for the bottom. But it gives you acra compatibility AND a lug for a strap in a very slim profile. Bonus points if you go L-bracket, you won't regret it if you use your tripod at all. I regret not getting one sooner honestly.

Will that work in conjunction with my Manfrotto RC0 plates? I've used Bogen/Manfrotto for so long I honestly don't know crap about any other company.

Oh yeah...And that 24-70G? RIDICULOUS. Holy crap. Yes, I'm floored.

Mike
Gear List

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 12, 2010 08:11 as a reply to  @ Mr. Clean's post |  #113

^ no, get a damn clamp worth a damn, you'll be glad you did. ;) (you can retro fit your current head)

and yeah, the 24-70G is epic. It's sad though, I'm considering selling mine to fund the 24mm... :confused: I'd buy it back when I could, but yeah, it might go for a while.... (how I use it I don't need the awesome AF)

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

radiohead
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 12, 2010 08:12 |  #114
bannedPermanent ban

Mr. Clean wrote in post #9591413 (external link)
Guy, you jacka$$, if I end up upgrading because of you I'm going to bill you.

bw!

Guy Collier Photography - Documentary Wedding Photographer (external link)
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
"It's no good saying "hold it" to a moment in real life." - Lord Snowdon
My kit

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 12, 2010 08:17 |  #115

Let's speculate for a moment here guys and gals. :) If Nikon releases this so called 25 megapixel body a.k.a. D900, what do you guys think it'll cost?

radiohead
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 12, 2010 08:26 |  #116
bannedPermanent ban

UK price - about £200 million.

US price - about fifty dollars

Guy Collier Photography - Documentary Wedding Photographer (external link)
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
"It's no good saying "hold it" to a moment in real life." - Lord Snowdon
My kit

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 12, 2010 08:29 |  #117

radiohead wrote in post #9594959 (external link)
UK price - about £200 million.

US price - about fifty dollars

For the UK, it sounds about right. ;):)

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 12, 2010 10:42 |  #118

Thanks Ben - Man, I gotta stick to another option or just deal with it. A new plate and L bracket is going to run 300, plus whatever software I shoose for the NEF file...It'd be too much at this point.
So I did more OCF playing last night. I swear, if you use flash at all, the D700 is the system to go with. I'm going to break out the lightstands this weekend and toss together a little product softbox for taking pictures of the camera gear. I'm assuming since it's indoors everything will work fine but it will be interesting to experiment first before I get in trouble later.
The auto ISO/minimum shutter speed is the real deal too. I had it set up to minimum shutter speed 1/50 and auto ISO on. On one of the flash pics I forgot to pop up the internal flash but the picture still was usable because the camera upped the ISO to compensate.
I want to do some side by side 5DII 24-70 vs D700 24-70 this weekend. Use the sRAW1 file size to see how they compare. My gut says the Nikon looks sharper at 100% than the 5DII by a bit but I'd like to look side by side and make sure the Nikons sharpening isn't considerbly more SOOC.
I wanted to do Mark III 70-200 vs D700 70-200 tests this weekend too but I don't think I'll have my Mark III back today.
Oh yeah - and the 8fps is the real deal too :D AND I notice very good servo AF performance on static objects.

Mike
Gear List

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 12, 2010 13:40 as a reply to  @ Mr. Clean's post |  #119

get LR. It's cheap anyway (edu discount).

as for comparing heads up, I've done it NEF to 21mp RAW. The 5Dii looks softer head to head, but once you resize it wins at 12mp. The D700 is actually closer resed up to 21 and it was with the 5Dii down to 12... But that was with a 24L -vs- siggy 24mm. The nikkor 24-70 is MUCH sharper so that should help your cause.

I got the tamron 28-75 today. It AFs pretty quick but the real shock is how TINY it is. MUCH smaller/lighter -vs- the G... I'm talking 17-40 size practically (but thick the whole length). Decent build too. I like it a lot more than I thought I would, so if it's IQ holds up this plan for the 24mm could work...

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 12, 2010 13:44 as a reply to  @ jacobsen1's post |  #120

Ben, my husband uses the tamron. Even though we have the nikon 24-70 and had the canon 24-70 & 24-105, he's always bought that little tamron for himself. He likes that it's lightweight, likes the almost macro capability on it. It's sharp enough wide open and has very nice bokeh. It's only flaws seem to be that it hunts a bit in low light & is noisier. (not that that is an issue for us).

Mike, glad you are enjoying your new gear. I KNEW you'd be happy with the 24-70.

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

sponsored links

735,030 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question!
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.